1st and 2nd gen oem front pads

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just received a new set of oem pads for my 2012. And just for fun,,, I did a visual comparison of those with a new set that I have for use on my 2004. The part numbers each are included in the photo. The differences in the backing plates are significant and obvious. 1st gen is 2007 and older,,, while 2nd gen is 2008 and newer, as I understand. Both of versions are stamped with Nissins brand. Heres the photo,, just for interests sake. Cheers,,, CAt'

20240517_212004.jpg

Thanks for the visual share. Looks like the same material surface area, but it a larger backing footprint.

Same thickness of the backer plate and the brake medium too?

Same thickness of the backer plate and the brake medium too?
yes,, same thickness's. At least at a glance. I didn't actually get the digital vernier's out. I will say though,, that I have always been impressed with my '04's stopping power. But when I was buying and test riding my 2012,,, those brakes were noticeably a bit better,,, which surprised me. But,,, it is hardly a direct comparison,, as the 2012 has abs,, and the '04 does not. As a further measurement of interest,, I recently bought some digital scales,,, and will be weighing each bike soon. I expect to find some interesting numbers,,, as I run the '04 quite lighter now,, and this will reflect in the power to weight ratio of each bike. That will be a different thread though,,, cheers,,, CAt'

ps: overall,,, I am big fan of Honda's linked braking system. I know it can be frustrating at times,, but once you get it sorted,, it has very impressive stopping performance.

Two completely different calipers.
The pre-08 had calipers that were two halves, three bolts, and a lot of machine work.
They are smaller and shorter than the newer ones.
Honda found a cheaper (less cost) way to investment cast the front calipers as one piece, but in doing so, they were larger and longer.
Which is why the SMC mounting points won’t work between the years.
You will notice the tabs and foot are also different.
The rear calipers and pads are still the same throughout years.

Back
Top Bottom