2004#1 Re-Re-Store Project

I'm thinking mixed.
And still, all would be an improvement.
I'm just too cheap... I still have a cheap seat.

Are all the RDL's custom for you or just ones you picked up used? (or a mix.)
I'm thinking mixed.
And still, all would be an improvement.
I'm just too cheap... I still have a cheap seat.

They are a mix. This is the 5th RDL, that I have owned. My first was a used (red velvet) on my V65 Sabre.

My second was one I bought new in 2006, with black velvet, which turned white within 6 months and I had it recovered in leather. I put over 200K miles on it and sold it a few years ago.

My third was used, that I bought from a guy on the forum back in 2014. It's heated and I still have it.

My fourth was new, I bought in 2016, and I still have it.

And now this one. I bought it because for an RDL (front and rear), the eBay seller had it for $175 (shipping and tax came to $220). I couldn't resist for that price. Because it is in really nice shape, I could turn around and sell it for $400 to $500. New, it would run between $750 and $850.

They also had a set of MCL wings (forward foot rests that mount on the crash bars) that I paid $44, including shipping and tax. They didn't include the cutout covers, nor the bolts/washer/nuts for the mounts either. No big deal, I already have several sets, I just need to make some cutout covers! Again, for that price, i couldn't resist! :thumb:

Yesterday and today, I added the left and right belly cowl (not sure whatelse to call them) and the NOS rear fender.

20230307_bellyCowl-Left.jpg

20230308-bellyCowl-right.jpg

20230307_RearFender-x.jpg

After taking it around the block yesterday I might have a leaky left front fork. It the drain bolt above the axle. So I'll probably have to pull the front tire off and fix that! :doh1:

Okay, a few days ago I got the left saddlebag completed and mounted:

20230315_leftSaddlebag.jpg

The right bag is together, but I'm still missing a few pieces for it and I need to order them.

20230315_rightSaddlebag.jpg

From the rear:

20230315_Rear-wSaddlebags-s.jpg

Today, I took it around a large block, I might be having to get down to the throttlebody for some adjustments.

Great work!
I always had two conflicting feelings when I finished a restoration. Both a feeling of accomplishment and a void once it was done. My current/last is our 1991 which I have stripped down and 'refurbished'. It had the typical 'sitting in the garage for 20+years' malady's.
Your work prompted me to look at my list of parts and services and their total costs. Shouldn't have.

:hat1:IT'S DONE :hat1:

That's correct, I put the stock handgrips on it today, then put thick covers over them, then took the bike out for a romp around the neighborhood! I rode it for about 30 minutes and it ran like a champ! :run1:

Probably one of the longest projects I have ever started and finished! :hat3:

Later, I'll take some pictures to post.

My next project will be the 2006 ST1300P that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Let's hope it's a bit quicker! ;)

Last edited:
Yes!
Watching this project cross so much time put my two year 2006A into a better perspective.
Enjoy the ride. Amazing that riding another of exact same model bike can be so satisfying.

You and I have mentioned how nice it is having a backup bike, and a backup bike for the backup bike.

You went next level.
A project bike and a backup project bike.

The cables and the gears are both failure points.

This particular unit I rebuilt failed because it was really dirty and the gear and cables had a hard time pulling the dogs through the rails. Even after cleaning the rails, the slides did not go through them without me pushing them. I found a couple of other rails and cleaned them, the same slides would go through with me just tilting the rails.

20221110_Frame2.jpg

I'm in the process of trying to rebuild mine. The dogs were almost impossible to move by hand. Going to try some 2 part metal epoxy to fill in the small gaps in the gear then file it, as it was still functional when I disassembled, albeit askew. I'm hoping that, along with some thick grease in the gear, will get me by for a bit longer.

When you did the rebuilds on the ebay ones pre-Bikequip kit, what, if any, did you use for lubrication on the slides & dogs?

I'm in the process of trying to rebuild mine. The dogs were almost impossible to move by hand. Going to try some 2 part metal epoxy to fill in the small gaps in the gear then file it, as it was still functional when I disassembled, albeit askew. I'm hoping that, along with some thick grease in the gear, will get me by for a bit longer.

When you did the rebuilds on the ebay ones pre-Bikequip kit, what, if any, did you use for lubrication on the slides & dogs?

I've been using a Marine Grease. It doesn't wash away as easy.

Reactions: Obo
Update: This past Fall/Winter, I swapped the plastics on all three bikes.

I moved the NOS 2005 Red :dr13: from the 2004, to the 2012. (I did replace the front fender, so now it matches the 2005 red.)

20231027_2012-3.jpg

I took the :bl13: and moved it from the 2010, to the 2004.

20231025_2004-blue.jpg

I took the :bk13: from the 2012 and moved it to the 2010. (Finished in Jan 2024)

20240115_finished-5.jpg

My thoughts as well.
Face it, Mark... you're not keeping up.
I know, and it doesn't bother me any more.
(From "Conversations With Myself and Others", unpublished, 2024. Author unknown, but unconcerned.)

Screenplay forthcoming? On the Insanity Channel?

Finished?

HA FOOLED YOU ALL!

A couple of months ago, (as many already know) I changed the color of the 2010 from the black, to the '05 Red that came from that 05 I picked up in Arizona last December. And then sold it to my son, Brett in March.

20240313_Brett-Aribella.jpg

Then, last weekend (April 20th) Justin was down and we did a 275 mile ride (I did, Justin, riding the 2004 down to Las Vegas, did about 375 miles) thru Bryce Canyon and ZION.

20240420_Bikes-Bryce-C1.jpg

And the 2004 developed a coolant leak. So I striped off the right side and found one of the clamps on the plastic tee was loose, causing that leak.

20240426_looseclamp.jpg

And since I pulled off that tupperware, and I decided to hang on to the 2004, I figured to pull off the rest of it, to add all the FARKLEs that I pulled off the 2010, before selling it to Brett, which he didn't want anyway.

20240428_RestoringFarkles.jpg

So, I'm adding a Bluesea fuseblock, wiring I made up with a 50amp fuse and 50amp relay, a wiring harness I made (that was originally on the 2004, but moved to the 2010, back in 2013), Air Horn, headlight modulator, LED headlights, LED fork lights, and my INNOVV K2 camera system. I will have to do a little rewiring, but that shouldn't be too bad.

I have fix that issue and gotten the FARKLEs on the 2004 that I took off the 2010.

I'm done for now!

20240507_FARKLE-ed.jpg

I need to go through my parts and see if I can find some more MCL Wing/Tipover covers!

Back
Top Bottom