ECM FAILURE POLL AND DISCUSSION

ECM Failure poll

• Year 2002 thru 2007 Failure - POLICE BIKE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I haven't found yet a way to check your conclusion....
Not my conclusion. But rather what "Dark Sun" was reporting on the Gl site, as posted by @Mellow, related to the similar Knock Sensor Code apparently commonly thrown by the 01-05 GLs.

I haven't found yet a way to check .......without disassembling the ECM ......
I wouldn't know of a way either. Once you've determined that the ECM is not doing its job as a black box, you'd have to look into it at the board level.

There is no flash memory on this unit (or at least nobody to this day has been able to access it), so a fix would have to be a hardware fix.

Dark Sun thinks he has traced the failure to the chip that processes (filters) the noise recorded and passed on by the Knock Sensor. He has done a lot of work to get there and it seems it could make sense to build on that, checking if what was found to happen on the GLs could also be what is happening on our STs.

On the GL site, it is suggested that a "clean" ground for the Knock Sensing Circuit could help extend the life of their ECM. I was hoping something similar could be implemented on the ST, to help extend the life of our earlier ECMs........before they all crap out!

Interestingly, after Dark Sun published his findings, somebody else reported that, not knowing about the noisy Knock Sensing Circuit issue, he had cleaned the grounds and added another "cleaner" one to his bike and done the same on a few other 01-05 GLs, and none of these have thrown the Sensor Code yet.

Top Bottom