Delay Valve Leak

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Went out for a ride and when I went to use the rear brake, it was WAY soft. Went back to the house and found fluid leaking from the delay valve assembly on the front fork. A quick check found that the fluid is leaking from one of the fittings. I have not had the time to take it apart yet, but was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the valve leaking. If it just needs a new washer, then I will fix it myself. If it is something major (new valve), then it will go to the STealer for repairs under warranty.

I think this is a new one. I haven't heard of this happening before. Keep us posted.

Ray

I think you are describing the secondary master cylinder. The delay valve is attached to the right side of the frame under the right middle faring if I have my nomenclature correct anyway. There was a recall for this problem on the delay/proportioning valve. Haven't heard of any issues with the SMC yet.

Have you tried snugging the banjo bolt a little to see if it has worked loose?

I think you are describing the secondary master cylinder. The delay valve is attached to the right side of the frame under the right middle faring if I have my nomenclature correct anyway. There was a recall for this problem on the delay/proportioning valve. Haven't heard of any issues with the SMC yet.

Have you tried snugging the banjo bolt a little to see if it has worked loose?

The parts fiche said it is the delay valve. This is the valve on the right fork that does not apply the front brake right away when you apply the rear brake. Snugging the banjo bolts was my first plan. I will have to bleed the the brakes as there is air in the system, but it was due anyway. I will let you know what I find out. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. It was just a shock for it to start now after 2 years.

No, The front end is stock other then Sonics. I put them in over a year ago, and have put 8k on the bike. If I tweeked something from taking the forks out, I would have thought there would have been a leak a long time ago. I still have not had time to look into the problem. Way too many things going on and the poor bike has to sit.:mad:

Ok, Had some time to take a look at things. The valve is not leaking. When I looked the first time, I was in a rush and fluid was all over the valve, and it was dry above it. So, I thought it was the valve. Got in there today with the shop light and found that the fork was leaking and the oil ran down the fork to the delay valve. Sooooo, now it is time to tear the forks out. Oh well, it was due for a fork oil change and a new front tire.

The soft brake was due to a need for a fluid change. They both happened at the same time, thus my thinking it was the valve. I flushed the brakes and things are fine again. Now I just need to get the fork seals ordered.

Even moderate braking force on the rear pedal is going to engage all three pistons on the rear brake caliper, and the center pistons on BOTH front calipers.

I interpreted soft brake to mean lessened stopping power compared to normal. Even a small amount of oil from the shock would be enough to create that condition.

Ever grab the brake and not get the braking force you normally experience? How would you describe it?

I don't think it would, because the full rear caliper and left front caliper is still working fine. And this involved brake pedal only.

If the pedal were firm, I'd say the brakes "slip" or "won't grab". If the pedal was spongy or mushy with a lot of travel, I'd say the pedal was soft.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree, because I still think that there would be a significant difference in braking force. I'm sure not going to put some fork oil on my disk brake to see (especially since I'm the one that thinks it would make a significant difference in braking). Maybe you would like to perform a test on your bikes brakes (placing fork oil on them) and give me some empirical data to support your position?

Curious, I've noticed that there is a significant lacking of data in your public profile. What kind of bike and what year do you drive? Are you a professional motorcycle mechanic? Where do you live? Have you ever attended a STOC event?

As for our differences in terminology, what we think really doesn't matter, the only thing that matter is what Dan meant.

Dan,

I'm glad you got things back to normal. I just finished flushing the brakes on my bike too and so far so good. Now if the scrubbing I noticed before hand is solved I'll be one happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom