Dinosaur Nat'l Monument?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Lining up a possible path to NatSTOC this year.

Is the DNM worth a stop? I see there's a road going deeper to a loop for hiking, which I'm not planning, but might be worth the ride if I can see something interesting from the road.

It’s been a few years but BTDT with Bill Rankin. Nice HQ building at the start and road to the great overlook at the end. Was heavily patrolled/ticketed then though. FWIW

Nice ice cream/sandwich place just west of the turnoff.

John

It’s been a few years but BTDT with Bill Rankin. Nice HQ building at the start and road to the great overlook at the end. Was heavily patrolled/ticketed then though. FWIW

Nice ice cream/sandwich place just west of the turnoff.

John
Thanks John!

Was there a couple of years ago, it's the best thing in the area ( not saying much) nice campground along the river. It has some nice view, has some bones to see at the center. Not a lot of area to cover.. If you have sometime to kill it's worth it. I'll dig up some pics when I get home later today.

Last edited:
1. It can be as hot as Moab.
2. It can be hotter than Moab.

We visited there years ago. Had to clean the chaff out of the truck radiator to keep the radiator temps under boiling.

The museum is great. If you’re there on a calm day you can be at the start of the trail down into the canyon and actually talk to somebody down below a long ways away. 1 mile? Like a sound funnel thing.

4. Mormon crickets were out the time I was there. Millions Of them.

It used to be one of only two places in the US where Hanggliders are cleared to fly up to 21,000 feet and on a good day they do that.

My buddy and I took our kids there when they were little and into dinosaurs. I thought it was cool. We made a long weekend out of it with a stay in Vernal, UT. Worth the detour? Depends on the person. I like to hike. I also like learning.

Been there a handful of times. Prolly be passing thru this year OTW to NatSToc. Camping can be hot but always cools off at night next to the river(1/2 walk in.). I think they are working on the visitor center thru May but.. You neverr know at a national park. The quarry where the bones are can get busy noon on. The walking trail to the quarry is short but fun and there are short trails up to other bone deposits along the road. There are some interesting roads out of Dinosaur Colorado that have great views of the canyon as well as graded roads done to the river.. Sometimes pretty rugged after t storms tho.

It's a nice scenic ride up and back into the monument just east of Dinosaur, CO on HWY 40. Beautiful scenery of the canyon that was first considered for the site of Flaming Gorge reservoir. The actual dinosaur bone quarry is just outside Jensen, Utah. Picture0021.jpg. The actual Quarry

It used to be one of only two places in the US where Hanggliders are cleared to fly up to 21,000 feet and on a good day they do that.
[/QUOTE]
I think your mistaken on your number. If your that high you need oxygen and a Thermal suit. The world record from what I can find on a hang glider is 13,000.

I think your mistaken on your number. If your that high you need oxygen and a Thermal suit. The world record from what I can find on a hang glider is 13,000.
[/QUOTE]
Not mistaken at all. Been there seen it. They have oxygen. What the heck is a thermal suit? I wore a sweatshirt. I myself have been to 17,400 feet over Steamboat Springs. A few feet higher would have been illegal. It's easily possible to go higher than 13,000 feet without oxygen. You do not have to use oxygen to fly a hang glider but you will suffer pretty bad headaches later that day.

The lift in the mountains can be quite intense like 3,000 feet per minute up elevator. Launch at Steamboat Springs if i remember correctly was just about 10,000 feet. Step off into some good lift and in 5 minutes you'll be way up there (17,999').

The other place where 21,000 was allowed was Sandia Peak near Albuquerque. This was around 1995.

"How high/far can a hang glider go?
This depends a lot on the conditions in which they are flown, but flights in excess of 300 miles in length and altitudes of well over 17,999 ft. MSL have been recorded. More typically, pilots in the summer in the western US will frequently achieve altitudes of 5,000 to 10,000 ft AGL and fly for over 100 miles."

Back
Top Bottom