Looking for an iPhone mount - opinions, please

For phone mounts Look at Q-mounts, I have one on each bike. They are one handed operation and you can get them either as wireless charging on non charging. Price wise they are a lot cheaper than Quad lock mounts. Several different mounting options.

Look at Tackform mounts as well. They’re a little more $$$, like $75, but we have one on the 1300 in Colorado and it holds the phone very securely (and they have the type to limit vibration as well to avoid damaging the phone). I might get one for the SWing (I use a mounted GPS on both ST1100’s now when I do use one)

I used the RAM - X mount for years with no problems and no security rubber band - just the spring loaded x mount. Phone was always secure, though I always double checked that the phone was properly seated all the way against the center of the X arms. I've bounced over RR tracks and those nasty expansion bumps on blacktop interstates w/ no hiccups.

Then one of the guys at NESTOC showed me his quad lock system. Yes the website is confusing but if you visit the site enough times there is a page that shows you what to order for an anti vibe/wireless charging/ram ball mount system. Funny thing is, I bought it and never used it for very long. I've been using my Garmin for nav. Only time I mount the phone is when I'm expecting a call or have a need for telephone on a trip.

You have a choice of navigation. Apple Maps, google maps, or Waze, and any other app that may be available on CarPlay. I’m not sure about the camera apps. Mine is viewable in bright sunlight and is waterproof.

John

John - which model do you have that is waterproof?

Look at Tackform mounts as well.
Tackform has a bunch of different mounts that are well made. @Motorcycle Dave is a vendor who offers good prices and great service. He doesn't advertise prices because of manufacturers' Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is higher than his.

Many of the Tackform cradles are available without a mount (as well as with one). If you have a RAM ball mount of any nature there may be a cradle only option that can save some money.

I have one that pre-COVID was maybe $30. It mated to my RAM ball on my Helibar and works very well one-handed yet grip very securely.

Whether they have something that meets Larry's requirements I don't know. But anybody interested in a phone mount that already has a RAM mount maybe give a look.

Note– Tackform sells mounts and cradles that use either a 1" ball (RAM) or a 17mm ball (?) and they're not interchangeable.

Pictures of the Quad Lock mount with the vibration damping and the magnetic Q charging plate on my K1600

2024_01_0382.JPG

2024_01_0383.JPG

USB power outlet mounted to the dash to support the magnet Q Charger
2024_01_0384.JPG

2024_01_0385.JPG

2024_01_0386.JPG

Or you could mount a CarPlay device on a RAM mount and leave your phone in your pocket.

John
View attachment 327273 View attachment 327274 View attachment 327275
+1 for these chinesium carplay devices. I keep my phone in my pocket, or charging in the top box and run with one of these. Connects automatically, comes on with the ignition. Comes on a ram ball for easy mount. And your phone is safe. Not the cheapest at GBP200 currently. But excellent so far.

+1 for these chinesium carplay devices. I keep my phone in my pocket, or charging in the top box and run with one of these. Connects automatically, comes on with the ignition. Comes on a ram ball for easy mount. And your phone is safe. Not the cheapest at GBP200 currently. But excellent so far.
I still would like to know whether they will control apps like Sena and HaloCam, as well as Maps.

Will they display camera images, either live or playback? Will they control the phone itself?

I still would like to know whether they will control apps like Sena and HaloCam, as well as Maps.

Will they display camera images, either live or playback? Will they control the phone itself?

No to Sena and Halocam.

All the answers in one spot, from Apple.

Link

John

The units only control car play compatible apps. So generally mapping stuff. YMMV with other apps. But easy to check with the app provider.
Generally the same as a car screen, obvs.
I doubt camera stuff will work. It's just a glance to get info system.

Well, I decided on the Q-mounts Pro Charge, and got the vibration dampener and the 1" ball adapter.

My phone's case is so thick that I had to bend the four arms a bit. It grips the phone like a gorilla now.

I'll post some pictures after I get it mounted and wired into one of the bikes; it'll most likely be the '01.

I'm looking for a mount with a few specifics for my iPhone SE, 2ng gen.; same size as an iPhone 6, and in a case.

1. I would like it to have easy, reliable one-hand operation, and not need a 4-way rubber band to keep it secure.

2. I would like it to have a built-in wireless charger, so I don't have to plug and unplug a cord every time I use it.

3. I don't have to use it, but I have a Ram-type mount, like this one, but only the post with the ball and a U-bolt:

View attachment 327222

As always, thank you for your time.
QUADLOCK

/r
Brad

Back
Top Bottom