Restore Seat Surface

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
My bike came with a custom leather seat (Mad Cow Custom Leather) and has seen better days - it has a lot of scuffs and scratches, see below. I'd like to restore the seat surface and was wondering if anyone has done it and can share their process. The seat is otherwise pretty comfortable, just looks bad.

seat.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Seems likely that any quality leather restorer / preserver / cleaner would be satisfactory, assuming no rips or tears.
There was a recent thread on this very topic, I think it may have been started by @Uncle Phil ...?
Opinions and suggestions a'plenty there.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Clean and restore with saddle soap and then hydrate with a conditioner. There are two types of saddle soap depending on the colour of the leather. Tack shop will have all the products and advice that you will need.
See the below thread for more details.
There was a recent thread on this very topic, I think it may have been started by @Uncle Phil ...?
Saddle Soap

Bike
2010 ST1300
When all else fails, read the instructions (my mantra). Maybe the cow's own products?

These folks are only about half an hour away from you (so says Google maps). If they have a store, ride over and talk to them...42288 Yearego Drive, Sterling Heights.

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Saddle soap = leather lather. Try saying "leather lather" quickly several times aloud.

I loved The Practice.
When I do something outrageous but justified at work, I point to my head and deliver, "Mad cow..."

It's sad how often I wind up doing that.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Chelsea Leather Food. Best thing I've found for maintaining leather. Corbin seat, boots, horse saddle/tack, etc.

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
About the scuffing... I was watching this guy restoring old BMWs... M539 Restorations, and he's done a few BMW leather seats. He used some kind of sandpaper to blend scuffed areas into the overall seat surface and then died the leather, the final product was perfect. Back to my seats, I've already cleaned and treated the leather but the scuffs are still visible.

Bike
2010 ST1300
About the scuffing... I was watching this guy restoring old BMWs... M539 Restorations, and he's done a few BMW leather seats. He used some kind of sandpaper to blend scuffed areas into the overall seat surface and then died the leather, the final product was perfect. Back to my seats, I've already cleaned and treated the leather but the scuffs are still visible.
I would think once you have experience this is easy, but the first time? I'd want to try the sanding on some scrap leather and not on the motorcycle seat I was trying to make look like new.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would think once you have experience this is easy, but the first time? I'd want to try the sanding on some scrap leather and not on the motorcycle seat I was trying to make look like new.
The key would be also knowing what grit he used and was it a wet or dry sand.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Didn't care much for The Practice but loved Boston Legal. The scenes with Spader and Shatner were terrific. The scene with the two of them slo-mo walking in dusters cracked me up.

Top Bottom