ST1300 v Triumph Trophy SE

Hi All,

Looking at used Sport Tourers and narrowed things down to ST1300, Triumph Trophy and (possibly) BMW K/R series. Can anyone out there tell me what they think/know of the ST1300 versus Trophy SE long term? Comfort, ride, reliability, maintenance?

I have a feeling the ST1300 is going to be low maintenance. If anyone has anything to share what they know about 2014+ Trophys let me know. Trying to avoid 2013s.

I have a CTX700 now and selling for an upgrade in size and carrying capacity.

Both are great dependable bike. The Trophy will come with a lot more options than that the ST doesn’t have. I’ve had my ST 1300 14 years with no problems. Thought about the Trophy many time. Still might buy one.

I too have/am considered(ing) a Trophy. I haven't ridden one yet but I am lured by all the modern electronics that ST doesn't have. However, that means more things to break that the ST doesn't have too. ;)

I played that game with the third gen FGR and bought one, only to find that I liked riding the ST better. It was just a better fit for me. However, I think the Trophy is much more similar to the ST13 than the FJR is/was. The Trophy has similar weight, ergonomics, power, wind protection. All with modern electronics that the ST sorely lacks so it is very tempting for me. I might have to go ride one to see how it feels.

I'll be watching this thread with interest to see if there are any ST-owners (don't forget the dash!) that have ridden or own(ed) one!

Hi All,

Looking at used Sport Tourers and narrowed things down to ST1300, Triumph Trophy and (possibly) BMW K/R series. Can anyone out there tell me what they think/know of the ST1300 versus Trophy SE long term? Comfort, ride, reliability, maintenance?

I have a feeling the ST1300 is going to be low maintenance. If anyone has anything to share what they know about 2014+ Trophys let me know. Trying to avoid 2013s.

I have a CTX700 now and selling for an upgrade in size and carrying capacity.
Best advise is to drive the Sprint last. I picked up an 07 Sprint 1050 last year, the 3 cylinder Triumphs are a pure joy with a broad flexible powerband with a 6 speed tranny the engine loves to be exercised throughout its powerband. I am going to be lookin at the newer Trophy and Tigers myself, let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Tiger 800XCX. That bike is so much fun to ride! If you have rode a triple you need to try one. Might make you smile a lot.

My boss rides a Sprint, older one, early 2000's maybe. Nice bike, but it has proven difficult to get parts for, and they aren't cheap. I don't know what parts availability is like for newer triumphs but you might consider that.

RT

I've never owned either bike, but I did sit on a Triumph once so that makes me an expert. ;)

My only comment is that the Honda ST's are rock solid and will not fail. The Triumph has a lot of electronics...which may fail someday and cost lots to fix.

For me, the bottom line is which bike performs best for what I want it for. The electronics are eye-candy only.

Chris

I have a 2015 Tiger 800XCX. That bike is so much fun to ride! If you have rode a triple you need to try one. Might make you smile a lot.
2017 here and it’s always a hoot - love taking it off road on logging and moderate trails. Damn too heavy if you drop it

Try to get a ride on both and get the one you like best. I love my Triumph (Tiger) and Honda (Goldwing). Can't say one is any better than the other. As far as electronics I believe my Triumph has Keihin electronics and fuel injection. Seems like some other brands use that too. :think1:

Back
Top Bottom