ST1100 Problems with rear drive and spider

Bike
st1100 1991
Hello

On my 1991 St1100, I have found my Spider is wearing against the wheel, it is rubbing on the Allen bolts that hold the plate that holds the rubbers in; can anyone one explain why this is happening please? Having consulted the Workshop Manual, all the right bits seem to be present.

Plus does anyone know where in the UK I can source a secondhand Spider and Rear Drive at a reasonable price please?

Thanks

Sharky2

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sharky - I've seen this when the wheel bearings are going bad. If it continues, it will grind off the heads of the allen bolts and you will not be able to get them out very easily if you need to change the dampers.

The Cheese

Is there any play in the wheel while on the bike? Is the thrust washer present in between the wheel n spider? Uncle Phil is most likely correct. Check the bearings.

Shalom
Michael

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The 5 pin GL1500 drive flange is interchangeable with the ST1100's.... I don't know if any of the other internal wheel parts interchange.

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
The 5 pin GL1200 drive flange is interchangeable with the ST1100's.... I don't know if any of the other internal wheel parts interchange.
Just want to double check on this Pat. Part numbers are not the same, but the flange/splines definitely swap?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Just want to double check on this Pat. Part numbers are not the same, but the flange/splines definitely swap?
OOPS! My bad!! It's a GL1500 (not 1200). I'll fix the earlier post.....

Dean, I'm currently running one now. If you look at the part, there's a 3 letter stamp on it (don't have it in front of me) but I'll try to get it. These are easier (and cheaper) to locate than one specified for the 1100....

Note: There are 5 pin and 6 pin versions of the rear wheel on the GL1500. I don't know the years that the 5 pin was used. If you were going to do a Darkside Car Tar conversion though, the 5 pin GL1500 rear wheel is the one you would use. I suspect the 6 pin flange would mate to the final drive, but you would also have to have the 6 pin wheel to use it and I'm not sure of the differences between the 5 and 6 pin wheels (rim width, rotor offset, etc.)

GL1500 5 pin wheel/flange on ebay

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
No conversion. Just need to replace the innards of an 1100 wheel without spending a fortune on it. I had asked about rear drive maintainence but didn't pull the wheel prior to buying the bike this spring.
Also same wear as original poster. Might have to have some nuts welded to the bolts to get em out.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300A
No conversion. Just need to replace the innards of an 1100 wheel without spending a fortune on it. I had asked about rear drive maintainence but didn't pull the wheel prior to buying the bike this spring.
Also same wear as original poster. Might have to have some nuts welded to the bolts to get em out.
Yikes!!!!!!

Just out of interest - what did the PO say they had done for maintenance on this wheel compared to what you found?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Might have to have some nuts welded to the bolts to get em out.
Deanr - That's exactly how I got the allen bolts out. The heads were so messed up I couldn't get an allen wrench in them. Either have some nuts tacked to them or bolts. The bolts maybe be easier to weld in place since you can hold the bolts with a pair of pliers while welding.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Pat is on the right track, re: the 1500 rear drive components.

Early 1500s had six pin, don't know which year the changed to 6 pin but assume 90, when the ST hit the market as they are all 5 pin.

The rear drive pumpkin internals are identical, same part number(s). The cush drive parts are also the same. This is what enables us to go dark side using a 1500 rear wheel. Other minor changes are needed, contact The Dan for details.

Finding the parts is relatively easy, any shop that performs 'Wing trike conversions probably has dozens laying around. That's how I got mine. $200 (at the time) got me a complete Gold Wing rear end, 'cause all the do is unbolt the swing arm and remove it all en siute.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100 1991
Thanks for all your help on this, have now sourced some replacement parts from a 19,000 k miles broken bike. Thanks again.

Top Bottom