I saw, I rode, I bought

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I made the mistake of test riding the K1600GT. It is a unbelievable ride. They seemed to have addressed all of the issues that plagued the K1300. The tranny was slightly notchy but smooth if you shift within the proper rev range. Handling does take some getting used to because of the duo lever, but I like it. The torque comes quickly and nailing it from almost anywhere will push your eyeballs back in the sockets. The seat will be swapped for a Sergeants when it comes out. The integration of the Garmin is great. Now I don't have to remove it when parked. Great wind protection, as I took my test ride in 30 degree weather. Grips and seat warmers worked great. I did not want to get off. Found out that the maintenance is not as bad as some think. Valve adjustment at the 20-24K range. 4 hours labor. After talking to the Honda reap at the New York auto show about the next ST1300 he indicated that Honda is waiting for the economy to pick up before introducing another platform. He stated that the Goldwing will get a major renovation perhaps 2014. For now Honda decided to just do a refresh. After hearing that, I ordered the BMW K1600GT with every option and accessory. For what it is worth BMW sold a record number of bike for 2011!!! I just wish there were more dealers.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice! I had a chance to ride one for a half day a few months back. They are nice bikes, that's for sure.

John

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I sure am glad the nearest BMW shop is 355 miles away,,,, Between the new 1600 and the GS 1250 and the GS 800 I am sure I would have to come out of retirement,,,,, LOL
I really like reading about them.....
Mike
Same way I feel about the Triumph's....

Maybe we'll win the lottery and go on a buying spree!??

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats on the bike! I'm sure you'll love it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations on your new ride. I know that you had been on the look for a while.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Thanks to all for the wishes. I will keep the ST for a while and will really hate to loose it. But I will try to sell to a family member first, that way if for whatever reason, the BMW proves to be a bust, I can return to old faithful!!!
I guess what really drove me over the edge was Honda's reluctance to provide their faithful with any sort of pathway in terms of product development. Everything is a mystery. While BMW does have it's issues, I really admire their efforts to stay in front of the pack in terms of innovation. Unfortunately, I think in their rush to be first, some of that quality control suffers. Their dealer network is severely lacking in being anyway robust. Both in Fayetteville, NC and my home state of Delaware, I have many dealers to choose from. Now my choices to go 1 in NC, 2 in MD, 1 NJ, and none in DE. When home it's Bob's in MD or Cross Country in NJ. Both are over an hour away and I'm lucky compared to some others that are hundreds of miles away. I do have a trailer so it will be a modest adjustment. To all who can I would recommend a test drive but bring willpower or a check!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess what really drove me over the edge was Honda's reluctance to provide their faithful with any sort of pathway in terms of product development. Everything is a mystery
That's nothing new... WE never know what they're up to unless THEY want US to know... which is usually at the very last minute. I can see that as both a good and bad business decision. Leaking info can come back to bite you just as badly as not leaking any info. I think it's a wash myself. Those looking for a new bike are frustrated while those not looking are content to just watch and wait.

If Honda announced today that a new ST#### will be out as a 2013 model, what would they do with all the ST1300s that are still new-in-the-crate. Sales would disappear, at least until they become orphans and some bargain-hunters snatch a few up for cheap money. Best for business to keep the new models secret, although a concept bike peaks, and gauges, interest.

Can't say Honda has been asleep lately, though. Look at the proliferation of 700cc models and a couple of VFR variants, too. Now that the BMW K16 has been in the hands of the public for a while, Honda can finish-up the design of the new ST (surely they've got one just about ready to roll?). Just don't expect to hear about it. Prematurely leaking information at Honda, and BMW, brings out the hit squad and a swim with the fishes.

pete
(Hey! Winter is half over!)

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Well I see both sides. BMW created quite a stir last year when the rumblings of their new K series can out, there were sketches, mysterious sightings etc. In their case the factory is hard pressed to keep up with the demand. There were also the rumblings of the new C-14 well prior to the release. I believe Honda could give their customers perhaps just a small bone to keep the faithful engaged. I think there are those ST's still sitting in crates because those sales were stolen by Kawasaki and BMW. In any case many parts of me will always bleed Honda red, just now other parts will bleed BMW blue!!!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I believe Honda could give their customers perhaps just a small bone to keep the faithful engaged.
I wish they would, too. I seek out that bone on a regular basis with my contact at Honda, as does another member of our forum. On occasion we compare notes and neither of us finds much to be optimistic about if an ST1300 replacement is on your radar. The best information I have is that the ST, despite how many of us own one, is a bike with European roots and most of its market is in Europe. For those of you who don't follow markets, Europe is tanking economically, with Germany the exception. Until things look up there, I wouldn't count on seeing a replacement for the ST1300.

There is one thing you can count on: no one at Honda who likes his job, or hers, will divulge anything publically before Mother Honda says it's OK.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
If Honda announced today that a new ST#### will be out as a 2013 model, what would they do with all the ST1300s that are still new-in-the-crate. Sales would disappear, at least until they become orphans and some bargain-hunters snatch a few up for cheap money.
That's how I got my 2000 Goldwing SE for about 1/2 price. Everyone was waiting on the '01s to come out and the dealers were stuck with several bikes taking up valuable floor space.

Congrats on the new beemer! It sure is a pretty bike.

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Bravo616 I'm with you. Every MC I have owned has been Honda. I was in Colorado Springs on our GW and saw the GTL and was taken with it. So was the wife. When I got home I went to the local dealer and test rode one. The rest is history. Took a week to sell the GW and have a blue GTL that should be delivered the end of March. Looking forward to it. Will sell the ST when it comes. It's been a great MC just desired to go from 2 to 1 in the garage. It will be only my second new MC since my 86 Magna. Can't wait.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
The good thing has BMW has done is to provide optional tip over protection. I ordered it with that also, but may still go aftermarket. That is one of many things I give to Honda and glad to see another manufacturer provide from the factory. So far with top case, alarm, and all the other crap I'm about 28K and that's with BMW military discount and dealer throw in's. I'de be at 30K without it. The retail for the top case is 1600.00, the aux lighting is 1000.00, etc. Adds up very fast, but there will be nothing to add but maybe aftermarket seat. The other thing I'de like to add is the 7 gallon fuel tank and a 300+ mile range. That's one of the reasons I didn't go with the C-14. I like to ride 300+ at a shot if I want to. I should be riding by end of March. Took ST out today, I can already see she's pissed.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
"Son of Trigger" has been built and is on the way to CONUS. Will be here next week. Until then I can only stare at pictures. Took the Honda out this week. She knows she is going to share the stable.....she is NOT happy. She gives me the "one fingered" kickstand salute as I leave the garage.

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's just a bike, so is this one.. get what makes you happy until something else that will make you happy comes along...

Anxious to see pics when you get it, that white looks nice!

Top Bottom