Warm & Safe Heated Liner

I bought a W&S liner this winter and have to say I really like it. It has stretch panels that run down the sides and the sleeves to allow for a snug fit. This is really a nice feature as you want a liner to fit snugly without being restrictive.

Comes with a fleece lined heated collar. Zippered pockets in the sleeves and along the waist to store the cords when not in use. You can attach heated gloves and pants. The liner uses the same connectors as Gerbings so their gloves and pants will work with the W&S liner. As a matter of fact I use Gerbings gloves with the liner.

The liner is very light and provides minimal insulating value by itself. You could look at this as a + or - I guess. The good is it provides very little bulk when layering for those cold rides. It seems to put out enough heat that you won't need a lot of layers. I wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt underneath and a leather with its liner over the heated liner. This seemed to provide enough warmth into the low 30's at highway speeds. I haven't really used it below these temps. Keep in mind that I was riding a 1/4 fairing bike though.

number9

Jason
STOC #
I will be picking up a heated liner in the next month or so. One of the things I am struggling with between the Gerbing and W&S is the insulation factor. With W&S you can wear the liner in the cold morning and if it gets up to being just warm enough to not need the liner turned ON you can keep wearing it since it isn't insulating you. But, do you need to wear a windproof layer over it to keep the heat in and from being carried away by the wind?

OP
OP
You really do need something to block the wind with the W&S. By itself the wind would blow right through it and provide no warmth. I've talked to some people who wear a light windbraker over the liner. This keeps the wind out and the heat in.

Last edited:

number9

Jason
STOC #
That's what I was affraid of. I really like the idea of the W&S having the strech panels in the sides to allow a snug fit, and the fact that one can be had for a lot cheaper than Gerbing - If you register on the W&S site and use a "Groups" code. But I am looking to get a heated liner to be able to reduce the # of items I have to pack. I certainly don't want to get a liner to reduce a couple layers then have to pack along an extra layer (wind breaker) to keep the heat in. Guess I will go with Gerbing liner and the W&S controller. :cool:

Bike
FJR1300
STOC #
I bought a W&S liner for my wife last December, and she raved about it so much that I decided it was time for one myself.

Number 9: Are you saying that you don't wear a protective jacket at all times? As far as packing that 'extra layer', I ditched the quilted liner from my coat(s) and the 'packed' liner is now the W&S instead. -It's also much smaller than the quilted cold weather liner it replaced.

We use the portable heat troller for the wife's unit, and I have the 'hard-wire' installed version.

You are correct in that the W&S liner can still be worn for much of the day -just turn it off.

We are VERY happy with them.

And yes, groups such as HSTA membership gets you 20% off!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I view the lack of insulation a plus on the W&S liner. Out here in Cali, you can get big temp swings depending on where and when you ride. Insulation always insulates and can make you sweat. Electrics and be turned on/off/up/down as desired. You can always put on someting insulated over the liner if need be. You can't remove existing insulation.

number9

Jason
STOC #
Number 9: Are you saying that you don't wear a protective jacket at all times? As far as packing that 'extra layer', I ditched the quilted liner from my coat(s) and the 'packed' liner is now the W&S instead. -It's also much smaller than the quilted cold weather liner it replaced.
No, I always wear my Cycleport Ultra II Kevlar jacket & pants, but one of the great features of the gear is that it flows air. I was just worried that it would allow enough air to flow the heat away from the W&S liner. I have seen a Gerbing liner in it's storage bag and it looked like a sleeping bag rolled up :eek: I don't know if it was compressed, or even how small you can compress heated gear, but that would be a serious turn off if the gear takes up that much room.

Was hoping that by waiting until summer I'd find a heated liner at a better price but that may not be so.

number9

Jason
STOC #
UPDATE

I got the W&S liner and LOVE it. :D Gets HOT, and almost too hot on high unless it is below freezing and you are rolling pretty good. If it is really cold (freezing temps) I will wear a windbreaker or my packable rain jacket, which I always have anyway, over it to hold the heat in so it has the effect of a "slow-bake" on my body and I can run it at a much lower setting and be easy on the charging system.

Bike
St
STOC #
I got a chance to use my W&S for the first time last week. +1 on the elastic sides, collar & zip pockets for the cords.

The best feature I thought was that when I adjusted the setting on the W&S controller I could feel the heat level change almost immediately. My torso was much easier to keep at the temp I wanted than with the Gerbing it replaces. The Gerbing I have is the model before the current one.

I rode for about 1 1/2 hours in temps that varied from 30 to 40 F. I was on back roads so I did not get over 60 mph and did not sustain that speed for very long. I was wearing a long sleved T shirt under the W&S with a Darien on top of that.

The only possible negative was that I felt that I could have used more heat across the shoulders but again, I only gave it a short test.

BTW, W&S offers the choice of a coax connector or the SAE type. I used the coax variety and would not change.

Bill

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just ordered a Warm 'N Safe on Saturday, along with a second hard control. The one alredy there controls the heated grips. I figure this jacket will fit well under my almost-too-tight Roadcrafter.

Ordered new Alpinestar SP3 gloves, too.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
George...Whats your take on the warm n safe liner? Thinking about getting one myself.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Lisa and I love ours and with the discount for registering the price is about the best around.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Perfect timing, Landon. Just got back from the Apple Country Restaurant RTE in Santa Ysabel, CA. Wore the W&S pretty much all weekend, including yesterday afternoon around Salton Sea when the temps were in the mid 80s. Too lazy to remove it knowing I'd need it again later in the day. No problem at all as long as I was moving. Temps dropped to low 40s during the run back to the Catthouse.

I don't use additional insualtion, just turn the knob. I wear my one piece Aerostich on top.

I agree that the W&S may not be appropriate by itself under a mesh jacket. OTOH, if it's cool enuff to need the W&S, why are you wearing a mesh jacket? I prefer a solid jacket with open/close vents. Just my opinion.

I have Widder and Gerbing vests, and the W&S jacket. The W&S gets the duty everytime.

Except...

I've had the coax connector replaced twice because of internal melting (the plastic insulation between the + and - poles on the connector. Anyone else seen this?

Mike was great about getting it fixed both times but causes me some concern for the long haul. If it happens again, I'll replace it myself with an SAE 2-prong plug.

Both of my STs have dual HeaTrollers from W&S as well, one each for the jacket and the grips. No problems there.

I would buy it again.

Anyone who can compare to the uninsulated Gerbing jacket??

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Here is a link to their site telling the difference. I normally wear a mesh jacket unless its real cold. I started looking at heated liners for my trip to Colorado where I think it would be helpful to have the heated gear. My trip from Indiana to Colorado I would probably want a mesh jacket, but once in Colorado I have been told I will probably want my non mesh jacket. Based on the infomation on Gen 2 and Gen 3 which do you think I need? I trust your opinion George, that why I ask you.

Top Bottom