Renting a Harley - Choices of Bikes

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I am on vacation and there is a local place that rents Harleys. Looking to travel only about an hour or so away, do some sightseeing (stopping for lunch on the way back), and then head back. No more than eight hours and 100-150 miles in total.

I am looking for some suggestions on which Harley I should rent. Most of the bikes around here (Mexico) are relatively small, so I was thinking about renting a Sportster 883 for $100 per day. They also offer a Sportster 1200 for $150 per day and some larger bikes (Fat Boy, Road King, and Heritage Soft Tail) for $200 per day.

What bike would you choose?

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Humm.....

Dyna Wide gllide to be different or I'd try to get a Road Glide.Road glide has that frame mounted fairing.

Sporties just dont interest me at all.

Handle bar mounted shields tend to piss me off after awhile.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I was just on vacation a few weeks back and rented an 883. Plenty of power and comfort for the 150 miles I rode. The only problem is that you have to wear a backpack if you want to carry anything with you. Go have fun!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I was in Palm Springs at Christmas and I put about 400+ miles on an ElectraGlide and about 70-80 miles on a Heritage Softail Classic. I had booked a RoadGlide but the reservation was screwed up. In the end I was glad to ride the ElectraGlide and it actually exceeded my expectations. I had the ABS chirping a few times and hit the rev limiter as well while enjoying some of SoCal's wonderful mountain roads. Now the Softail was another story! Except for riding around town trying to look cool I don't think I would ride one again. But I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride each.

Seems like I got a deal as each of these bikes was $99 / day! The Wing, ST, and Bimmer were $160 / day.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
All Sporters I have tried ride like crap especially if it is a hugger model- I would rather a scooter. Of the choices you mentioned I would choose the Road King. Always enjoyed riding it.
I don't know what a "hugger model" is. Can you tell from the picture of the bike if its a hugger model? The model of the Sportster is listed as a "883R".
http://www.harleyadventures.com/hdadeng.html

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Seems like I got a deal as each of these bikes was $99 / day! The Wing, ST, and Bimmer were $160 / day.
The rental shop is the only one in town and their prices reflect that. There is a Harley Davidson store in town, but they only sell shirts.

I will cross the soft tail off the list based upon your feedback. So the only bikes available tomorrow are the Sportster 883 & 1200, and the Road King.

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
If you are riding solo and don't mind a back pack, the Sporty's will do just fine. The XL 883R has a retro, flat track type look and feel. The XL-1200 has a few versions, there is a low for the vertically challenged, the "C" which has forward controls (IMO, 150 miles may not be enough to get used to forward controls coming from an ST) and standard with standard peg placement. If you are riding 2 up, I would definitely go for the Road King. Some don't like the shield type windscreen, but it is comfortable and has hard bags.
If it was me, solo, especially if dirt or gravel or bad roads, for 200 miles, I'd be very tempted by the 883R. If however, 2 up and/or for thousands of miles, big V-Twin bagger would be the way to go in the choices you mention.
Grizz

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
I don't know what a "hugger model" is. Can you tell from the picture of the bike if its a hugger model? The model of the Sportster is listed as a "883R".
http://www.harleyadventures.com/hdadeng.html
None of those are Huggers (I use to own one and had alot of fun on it). Huggers were like the low.
The R stands for rubber mounted motor. Depending on the year, it could mean a couple of things. On the 883R that model usually had the Racing graphics as in the 883R (883roadster, which my Dad had) Its a fun bike on the twisties.

The sportsters are generally top heavy like the ST, so you should be fine. The RG (roadglide) has the fairing mounted simular to the ST.

The bike in the front is a heritage, the one in the far back appears to be a sporty with drag bars but I really cant tell from that picture. Oh and not all RK have hard bags the Classic generally had soft leather.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Take the Road King. I'd buy a Korean, Russian, Chinese or Cuban built bike before I'd spend $1 on riding an 883 Sportster. I'm not a Harley basher, mind you, but that bike is the most uninspiring bike I've ever ridden. Give me back my 100cc 1972 Yamaha Enduro for an Ironbutt over the 883 - or for a trip to the store.

Bike
ST1100 SOLD
STOC #
Rented a Sportster a few years ago when I was getting back into riding. Rode it a few hundred miles over a weekend. My balls stopped vibrating a week or so later!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
So I ended up spending my last day of vacation in Playa Del Carmen by the pool and beach. Not a lot of positive comments about the Sportster and $200+ for 8 hours on a Road King was a bit steep for my budget.

The good news is that the weather back home looks good for Sunday and I hope to spend some time on the ST1300 in cooler, but still sunny weather.

Top Bottom