2007 H/D Street Glide impressions....

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I had the oportunity to take bake to back 200 mile rides on my 2008 ST13 and a 2007 Harley Street Glide....

The Bike: 2007 Street Glide FI 6 speed with Radio and K/N filter. Stock seat bars and Passenger Backrest (no tourpack) Stage 1 screaming Eagle pipes and mapping. Standard motor no big bore kit installed.

The ride: About 200 miles of I-64 between Grayville Il and St Louis, Mo. Mostly flat, see forever cornfields with gentle changes of direction but no real turns.

First impression was the 3 miles of Il Hwy 1. This bike is not slow by any means but pulling put onto hwy 1 from North street the right floorboard contacted..... (We lack alittle ground clearance). I adjusted riding style to a more upright bike stance and never did contact anything else with the pavement. By adjusting, I mean I slowed down some and quit countersteering as much as I usually do. This was not a deal-breaker by any means. On the 2 lanes of the corn belt this bike will eat alot of miles. The seating position is comfortable as long as there is a backrest, the vibration of the motor is not horrable and she will pass slow moving tractors and fertilizer trucks at will.

Then we turned right onto I-64 and Headed off towards St. Louis. Once in the interstate this bike shines. Alot of miles will pass between those rearviews. The riding position for the longhaul is good. The motor vibrates alot over 3200 rpms which makes 80mph blasts very comfortable, 85mph blasts not so much.The motor shakes the mirrors enough to make them un-useable and even the low windshield gets into the foray above 3200rpms. Thise of us who ride the ST will concider this an 80mph govenor...Short blasts are do-able though and I think if the ST wasn't so smooth up to 120 this would be a non-issue. HD's are not go-fast bikes.

Passing trucks is a matter of changing lanes, opening the throttle and allowing the bike to gather speed. (unlike the ST which is just flick, crack and gone.) He's fast enough to be interesting, a bit slower in his accelaration then the Wing or ST but not enough to be a deal breaker. (Slow down is what greg kept telling me!)

We did not hit anything that I would call a Hill......I dont have any idea how he would behave with full bags and a load but empty and on flat roads he is a very very easy bike to live with.The Potato Potato becomes a very a mean growl on acceleration and you'll find yourself blipping the throttle under the overpasses just to hear him roar. (This bike is definetly a male.)

Weight and slow speed handling are good once you get used to the floorboard positions. Slow speed manners are good, no sore hips from trying to hold her up. Low seat height does have some advantages.

Looking over the available farkles for the H/D's boggles the mind. I think it can be summed up by mearly saying "if you can pay for it it can be had.

So, if ya can get a good deal on one and are thinking of slowing it down a bit take one of these for a ride. And bring your checkbook too cause your gonna like it.

Last edited:
Bike
Concours 14
I rented a 2011 in FT Walton Beach. Baked my lower half, vibrated as stated above, and sluggish, I mean slow. This was when I owned a C109RT. The Suzuki was smooth to 130, much cooler, and no vibration numbness. As far as comparing it with the Concours, apples and oranges.

Top Bottom