1100 ABS/TCS Brake bleeding question

Hi guys,
Found many useful guides here on bleeding brakes but my knowledge is lacking, and sometimes the obvious to some is ambiguous to others (mainly me lol).
My question lays in the sequence for bleeding the brakes. I understand this is important (but don't know why) and the rear caliper is confusing me.

The sequence I have read both on here, and in my heynes is:

Front lever:
Top bleed valve left
Top bleed valve right

Rear pedal:
Left front lower bleed valve
Right front lower bleed valve
Rear caliper front valve
Rear caliper rear valve

So on the rear caliper, which is the front valve and which the rear valve, since they are pretty much side by side its a point of view!! Front is the one closest to the front brakes / wheel or the one closest to me??

I didnt really follow this sequence today and the rear brake felt like it needed half a press / release / press again to bite properly, but felt firm on bleeding....

Also.. I have read about a proportional control valve to bleed. Have no idea where this could be, and can find no reference to this in the Haynes? Admittedly, most reference I have read about this is towards the 1300.

Thanks in advance for any response :)

OP
OP
Thanks for the response!

your assumptions were correct, it's an 1100AW and it does have 3 pistons per caliper, middle of the front two operated by the rear brake.

I bled the brakes again this morning, and most of the sponginess has gone. Will try weighting the pedal overnight to get the last of it out!

thanks again!

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just fitted new front pads to my 01 ST1100 ay model, the front brakes are now binding,never thought about the combined system when bleeding,
hopefully If I follow John's advice here I'll get it sorted,my mpg dropped 6mpg on the first tank.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks John,I'll have a look at it on Monday,hopefully get it sorted then,I also fitted a complete new delkevic exhaust,so carbs probably need balanced and this may also be a factor in the drop in mpg.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I got a complete set of genuine honda pads,the front ones don't have the heat shields but the rear pads do,I haven't fitted the rear ones yet anyway.
Today I disassembled the front calipers,gave them a good cleaning,the pistons look fine,cleaned around them and brushed on a little WD40,then bled the brakes,front and back.the resevoirs are not overfilled and I topped up the rear one as I bled alot of fluid from the rear caliper.
The front pads still seem to be dragging a bit,not maybe as bad as before but I'm hoping now they will wear in,
I checked under the grey cover on the front left side and that unit looks fine under there and is moving freely,
Don't know what else to do John,after a test ride where I was braking alot the discs were fairly hot,too hot to catch,front and rear but maybe thats normal after alot of braking.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
No I make sure my foot isn't resting on the rear brake,I will have a run later as you suggest just using engine braking and check afterwards to see if the disks are hot,when I ease off say at 60-70 mph the bikes seems to slow down alot quicker than before but the front doesn't dive,I'm hoping now that the pads are just bedding in and hopefully will settle down after another tank or two.
not sure what you mean re the clearance between the caliper and disc,I'll try and figure out what you mean,thanks for taking the time for the advice John,and Happy new year to you.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Had a run today John and the discs are not heating up now,just did around ten miles using engine braking mostly,there is still a bit of a drag on front brakes I think but it's not as much as before,so hopefully that's it sorted.
I will check my mpg on this tank,I think I need to balance the carbs though to suit the new delkevic exhausts.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks John, I checked the axel spacers and they are on the correct sides,I think the disc is not scraping against the caliper,I think it's just because of the new pads,
so hopefully that's it sorted.

Update John, the front left disc is heating up alot more than the right side after a run with normal braking,so there is some issue there.
there is definately a drag still,the bike isn't running great either but I think thats because the carbs need balanced,think I'll have to have a
mechanic take alook at it.

Last edited:
Bike
ST-1100
I got a complete set of genuine honda pads,the front ones don't have the heat shields but the rear pads do,I haven't fitted the rear ones yet anyway.
Today I disassembled the front calipers,gave them a good cleaning,the pistons look fine,cleaned around them and brushed on a little WD40,then bled the brakes,front and back.the resevoirs are not overfilled and I topped up the rear one as I bled alot of fluid from the rear caliper.
The front pads still seem to be dragging a bit,not maybe as bad as before but I'm hoping now they will wear in,
I checked under the grey cover on the front left side and that unit looks fine under there and is moving freely,
Don't know what else to do John,after a test ride where I was braking alot the discs were fairly hot,too hot to catch,front and rear but maybe thats normal after alot of braking.
Sorry for the late reply, from my experience you shouldn't use wd40 on the pistons, red rubber grease is the way to go.

Top Bottom