How to Plot a route in Google Maps and Export to Garmin Using Tyre and Basecamp

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvV_c1M8yc

I just stumbled on this video and thought it was worth sharing, it even make sense to me and I am a rock.
He shows how to export/save a route made on Google Maps, which I like, then imports it to Tyre, a free program. Then he looks at it using Basecamp which will be running your maps from your GPS to show where the u turns and loops are.
This may be old news that I did not look into before, but here it is again for those in the same boat as me. I hate Basecamp to route with but Google Maps is fine by me.

EDIT!!
With the upgrade to the resolution in Base Camp and better understanding of how to use BC, I no longer mess with Tyre.

Last edited:
STOC #
I'm not sure what the advantage is here. If you have a GPS with updated maps, why not just plot the route through Basecamp into the GPS?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I must be one of the few that find Basecamp easy to use. I also have MS S & T. I have an issue with my 660. I create a route with Basecamp and load it to my 660. Looks good, but it will get a mind of its own and take a different route than plotted. Not an issue with Base camp as the same route loaded to my 550 will follow that route to a T. A route done on S & T will look good till the 660 decides it knows a better route. Now put in a lot of intermediate points and you have a route it will follow. You then have to put up with, turn in xxx feet. Would be interested in a GPX file created by Tyre to see if the 660 follows it.

WISTOC will be a testing spot.

Mark, send me a file.

Kevin

STOC #
Ahh, OK but I didn't equate "I hate Basecamp" to a reason to having to translate the route with third party tools. I figured Google Maps was giving you features that made it compelling to take that extra time.

Basecamp was hard to get used to after Mapsource but it's getting easier after a few routes. I'm not seeing any real difference in how one creates a route between the two but that's just me. ;)

Bike
2007 ST1300
I don't have a lot of experience with Base Camp yet but I have used google maps in conjunction with mapsource in the past. I basically use google maps as a way of finding and setting the route and then I duplicate it and cross check it with mapsource. It is not difficult to do with both windows open at the same time. I explore and create alternate routes from the default route google maps creates using the start and end points I give it by just using the mouse to drag the route line to points along the way.That causes the program to recalculate the route over the roads I want to take. Google maps then automatically recalculates the time and distance so you can compare the effect of the changes in the route. Its also easy to switch between street and satellite views, zoom in and zoom out. When I decide on the route I want to use I duplicate it in mapsource. I guess it is a matter of preference I just find Google maps easier to use when exploring and comparing alternative routes. I am looking forward to seeing how google maps works with the third party conversion software.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Paul, with BC, find I get lost when I zoom in enough to see the roads I want. I am constantly zooming in and out. Like Ridingfl, GMaps is less of a PITA to use for me. Qualify ALL of what I say buy remembering I admitted to being a rock.:)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Paul, with BC, find I get lost when I zoom in enough to see the roads I want. I am constantly zooming in and out. Like Ridingfl, GMaps is less of a PITA to use for me. Qualify ALL of what I say buy remembering I admitted to being a rock.:)
+1, if basecamp simply showed more detail at a higher - at least the same - zoom level as mapsource it wouldn't be so tough.. the search feature is also a pain in BC. About 95% of the time mapsource still works for me so that's what I'll used. Tyre runs kinda slow.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mark, oddly there was an update to basecamp this morning (4.2.2) - looks like the level of detail you get at a higher zoom has increased to better than mapsource now. This solves most of my issues. Before, I had to keep zooming in to see enough detail to get a state park that I didn't know where in the general area I was anymore.

Here's a comparison screen print with both set at Highest level of detail and a 10 mile zoom.

BCvsMS.jpg

STOC #
Actually 4.2.2 has been around several weeks now. I also think the zoomed out detail was already there before that. The only thing I miss compared to Mapsource is the ability to easily rubberband any segment by simply clicking on it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Actually 4.2.2 has been around several weeks now. I also think the zoomed out detail was already there before that. The only thing I miss compared to Mapsource is the ability to easily rubberband any segment by simply clicking on it.
My previous version didn't have detail zoomed out that far, no matter what settings I had and mine looks fro updates every 14 days. I think my previous version was 4.1.2 which is a pretty major difference so maybe my update check wasn't done - obviously, you have to use it to get it to check for updates but I was looking at is this weekend - maybe that version checked 14 days worth of activity on the software and not wall-clock time for checking.. .anyway, that part is good for me now so I can't say I hate BC anymore..

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Well I am glad I was able to waist all our time on this. Looks like BC will be fine now. Not having the rubber band was a frustration for me too. I figured I just had not found it yet.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool, I will play with it and see if I can make it fly. Thanks.

Last edited:
STOC #
Archer,
What version of basecamp do you use? I just downloade the latetest version and it does not look like what your using. The only thing I can think of is I'm using basecamp on a mac...

tnx,
mitch

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Archer,
What version of basecamp do you use? I just downloade the latetest version and it does not look like what your using. The only thing I can think of is I'm using basecamp on a mac...

tnx,
mitch
Base Camp alone will not render the resolution you want but if you have your GPS plugged in it will show more detail, based on what maps you have on it.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have abandoned Tyre and with Archer's help from the video, I am having pretty good luck.
Now I am in complete agreement with Paul K. in that the Google Maps to Tyre thing is a waist of time. The better resolution from Base Camp is key.
I found that when making a route with G Maps, it works better for me when I make a rough route then drag it to where I want it rather than adding points along a path I think I want to follow. Adding many points makes it necessary to convert many segments rather than one larger one. As long as you choose a large enough number of points to convert to, to cover all your turns it works well.

STOC #
Yes, I might have mislead you before about the rubberband. What I was trying to convey was in Mapsource, all one had to do was grab a route segment anywhere while holding down the mouse button and you had rubberbanding control. With Basecamp, you have to go click on Move Point in the tool bar, then select a point that you can then rubberband. I can't find a way to just grab and rubberband a segment like I used to. Why on earth they removed this user friendly mode is beyond me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom