First Harley Test Ride!

Bike
2012 ST1300
I ride with a club, includes sport tourers and cruisers and touring bikes, many Harleys. The Harley riders rave about their bikes (as I do my ST1300). So today we ended up at a Harley dealership offering free demo rides.I took a demo ride on a 2014 Street Guide Special. It looked real nice. It sounded great. And I loved the low-end V twin torque. Felt extremely powerful. Handling seemed ok, but the test drive was too limited to really evaluate.But way too much vibration (Harley designs that in?). And the suspension was extremely hard and harsh. Between the vibration and hard suspension felt like I was driving a 2 wheel truck! Don?t think that bike would be comfortable for a ride of more than an hour.So what am I missing? What is so great about the Harley line? For my buck, the ST is a much better touring machine. I love the vibration free engine, more power than I ever have used in 30,000 miles, and what I perceive to be a comfortable suspension. And I think the new Honda CTX 1300 will eat the Harley?s lunch. As to comfort and smoothness. Now if only Honda would offer an electric windshield with the CTX 1300 ....

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1.
But to say something more I will add that to love a HD is a lifestyle choice by those who do it. It doesn't make sense to me either but that's what it is.

On another note, it wouldn't take much to bury HD in reality. Yet it remains to be seen what the CTX1300 will be. It sounds like an easy winner but wait for the ride reviews when it actually is out on the street.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
Guess I just don't understand!
But to each their own.

My overall bike philosophy - if you ride it, and it puts a smile on your face, then it must be good.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
Harley won't be bothered by the CTX. I have only ridden one Harley and that was a fully loaded Glide. I couldn't get off of it soon enough because of the vibration. I thought new Harley's. were better. I like the look of the Heritage Softail but I won't test ride one any time soon.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I keep thinking I MUST have missed something the last time I rode a Harley- they are just SO popular. Then I try it again, thinking maybe now that I am a bit older, my tastes may have changed. Nope. I still don't get it.

Jack B

Let's Ride
Bike
2013 F6B
Last time I road tested a H.D. It felt like I just went back about 20 years. But they do look good.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I don't like polishing bikes enough to be a Harley owner in good standing ;)

Gerhard

Bike
2004 ST1300
My last trip to the mountains was without my STeed. I got to experience how the other side lives riding a sportster while my buddy was on his ST1300. I have ridden many Harley's and always walk away with the same level of disappointment. The apology is like comparing teacup chihuahua and a Pitbull. Hard to believe they are both dogs but they are! The ST is such an amazing bike that it is very difficult to be objective riding other bikes. I agree with the adage "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad"....however...

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Rode some Harleys at a demo days. My Vulcan 1500 was nicer if you like V twins.........of course there is nowhere as much bling for Kawis as Harleys. I dont get it......but if someone has one and likes it....fill your boots. Love my ST but always like to try something different. Tried a Wing and an F6 last year. Wondering about it as my wifes ablility to ride her own is declining due to a health issue. Was disappointed with the bulk. I know the performance and handling is really good ....just couldnt get used to it. Tried some Beemers as well.....really like that 1600 but $$$$$. My ST is 7 years old and Im having some shoulder and neck problems and the weight of the bike seems to a concern. I d like to get something else..........but what is the big question. Wont be a Harley ;)

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
When I was 16 years old, probably even younger, I wanted a Harley. I had already owned a few hondas and suzukis but I dreamed of one day owning American Iron. Fast forward a few years and I was the proud owner of an 883 Sportster. I absolutely loved that bike and everything about it, especially what was written on the tank and the sound. I put about 9000 miles on it the first year I had it. Thats when my dream bike (at the time) showed up at the Harley shop, a beautiful teal green metallic over silver Springer Softail. I went way into debt buying it (like $18k at the time) and couldn't be happier. My buddies all rode Harleys and life was good. Along comes the Iron Butt Association and I want in. I rode 1200 miles in 24 hours on that Springer and it wasn't easy. My hands had lost their feeling for about a week and I had a slight ringing in my ears for about 3 days even though I was wearing earplugs. This is when I started realizing that most of the serious Long Distance guys were riding sport touring bikes and I found that while the used Concourses were cheaper, the ST1100 looked a lot better for just a little more. I then went back to my roots, back to the brand that I got my license on, a Honda. My ST makes LD rides easy. I now look at the two bikes as different tools for different jobs. If I'm going any kind of distance or inclement weather including cold is expected, it's the ST all the way. Just cruising around town with my wife with a lot of stopping and tire kicking... The Springer is great for that. Another good point to Harleys, especially if you are travelling far from home is their dealer network. There are hundreds of Harley dealers across the country, mostly near the interstate, so if you need something fixed, you should be close to one. (no, you don't have to fix things that often, both my Harleys have been very reliable) I love my Harley but I ride my Honda more.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've ridden my brother in law's Harleys : A Sportster back in the '80s, it felt like somebody was whacking the bottom of the seat with a hammer. His new dresser , 5 years ago was a bit better with the rubber mounted engine but still quite harsh compared to my 1500 GoldWing . ( I was also surprised of the harsh vibration of a MotoGuzzi I test rode , it was as bad as that old Sportster. I was expecting the Guzzi to be similar to my old '81 SilverWing )

Bike
2005 ST1300
Rode some Harleys at a demo days. My Vulcan 1500 was nicer if you like V twins.........of course there is nowhere as much bling for Kawis as Harleys. I dont get it......but if someone has one and likes it....fill your boots. Love my ST but always like to try something different. Tried a Wing and an F6 last year. Wondering about it as my wifes ablility to ride her own is declining due to a health issue. Was disappointed with the bulk. I know the performance and handling is really good ....just couldnt get used to it. Tried some Beemers as well.....really like that 1600 but $$$$$. My ST is 7 years old and Im having some shoulder and neck problems and the weight of the bike seems to a concern. I d like to get something else..........but what is the big question. Wont be a Harley ;)
I tried out the NT700 and it was like an ST only much lighter. You might try that one on for size just to see if you like it.:biker:vs.:dr13:

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Harley Davidson is a master at branding. There bike is sold on a ideology of riding a true American bike. We all know in reality it is not but that image is strongly reinforced by H.D. marketing. Especially for the nostalgia of american iron, or the appearance of a rebel.

A friend of mine was looking at my arai helmet(fullfaced) and noted that he realized he should have that protection but a full faced helmet would just not look cool while riding his Harley so he continued to use his skid lid.
Even my wife's great aunt saw my st1300 for the first time and noted "why didn't you get a real bike like a Harley!" She has never been on a bike in her entire life!!
I was at the Harley Davidson dealership with a friend and the first thing the salesman said to me after looking at my bike was "Are you ready to step up to a real bike?"

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I was at the Harley Davidson dealership with a friend and the first thing the salesman said to me after looking at my bike was "Are you ready to step up to a real bike?"

Let me know where that was. I've got a answer for him: "I did. I rode Harleys for thirty years." :D

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
" Are you ready to step up to a real bike ?" Yeah , insult a guy first on what he rides , then expect him to buy a $20K+ clunker compared to a smooth ST or a Wing ,etc. Ha ! Yeah , I get that kind of crap from my Harley brother in law : " still riding the lead-Wing? " Top speed on a Wing is a heck of a lot faster than his Harley clunker ! 100 mph on his Harley sounds like it's ready to throw a rod up between your legs !

Last edited:
OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
Before I demo'd the bike, the salesman asked "what do you ride". When I responded ST1300 he said (proudly!) "I ride a Yamaha FJR". Must be tough for him to put up a facade when selling the Harly's!

Responses to this thread I started are interesting and entertaining, not surprised to find many like thinkers.

Bike
ST 1300 2012
Went from a 2004 VFR800 to a 2012 Road King to a 2012 ST-1300. Yes the years are right. Don't ask...

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I think the saying is, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand."
Never have understood this. I think it means I have never ridden any other bike and I was told what I ride is the best. Either that or they can't explain it.

Sounds like a challenge. Tell him to get the title and put up or shut up.

I get stuff in the mail saying something like "you know you have always wanted a Harley" So tempted to write something on it and send it back.

Top Bottom