PDA

View Full Version : Heli Riser adds "Flex"? More than Stock?

mayner
06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I just installed the Heli risers on my '06 ST. Went on w/o a hitch. I do have a question though. After tightening down all the hex-bolts, did anyone notice a certain amount of "flex" in the bars that did not seem to be there before? I have all the bolts tightened to spec.

When I press down on the bars, from a seating position on the bike, I can get them to move quite a bit more than the stock position did, at least from what I remember. Thinking back now prior to installation, I can't remember any "flex" at all. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Looking from the underside, there does seem to be a little bit bigger "gap" between the plate and the triple clamp but I think that's why the rubber grommets are there, at least it seems to me to be why.

The instructions do not discuss the grommets, gaps, or any flex.

Elmo
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
More flex with my Heli's... I've heard that you can and should expect it.

Elmo

Littlejohn64
06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
If you look on Helis website, they discuss this. Its normal (you now have more leverage over the bars) and they actually adapted their risers to reduce it as much as possible.

http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HC0303

FEATURES: (click on the left to read about each feature and see more views)

Rotational Rubber Damper Buffers

Rotational Rubber Damper Buffers: One of the few complaints we received early on about our first bar adapters for the ST1300 was the increased forward and back play which some customers noticed more than others. The reason for this play is quite simple; because our design moves the handlebars up, back and out from their original location, the bars generate a greater amount of leverage. This additional leverage makes the bars exaggerate the motion of the factory rubber mounts. Our rubber rotation damper buffers greatly reduce this play this will add to rider confidence and a generally tighter feel to the handlebars. This setup is for you!

mayner
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Thank you guys. makes me feel better knowing I didn't miss something. Should have checked Heli site first thing. I was on it yesterday and did not notice the discussion about flex.

Glad it's not just me sitting around on a Thursday late-morning goofing off on the Internet. :D

Vacation is almost over though. :(