Electra Glide - The Answer to my prayers?? - Harley Rental in Texas

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
My last real ride on a motorcycle was last March, 2015. Since then, I've kept hoping that one day I'd wake up and the condition that causes me to stay off bikes will magically be gone and I'll be able to ride again.

The other day, on a hunch, I sat on a guy's cruiser to see how his seat felt. I was thinking that maybe if I could find a bike that had me sitting more like in a chair, it might keep some of the pressure off my nether regions thus allowing me to ride again. Turns out that the pressure was less than on any of my previous bikes, including the ST. Heat is also part of the discomfort equation but I'm thinking that maybe if the pressure isn't there, the summer heat by itself might not be a problem.

After sitting on the above cruiser, I decided to drop by the local Harley shop and see what their stock bikes felt like. I sat on several but when I sat on an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Alpha name = FLHTCU), it felt like there might be a real possibility I could actually ride again and it not bother me! I looked to see if anyone rented that exact model and all I found was Eagleriders in Dallas (I'm in Houston). Might have to make a special trip up there and rent one for a couple of days during the summer and spend serious saddle time on it as a test.

Lord help me, being a die-hard Japanese sport-touring fan, I never thought I'd ever see myself seriously considering a cruiser, but if it gets me back on two wheels again, so be it.

Harley rental places in Houston are nowhere near as numerous as they once were. I found a place nearby in The Woodlands that rents Harleys but they don't list an Electra Glide as one of their rental units.

Anyone know of places in Texas other than Dallas that might rent Electra Glides? I want to give it a try when the weather warms up to 90+ degrees. If the experiment works out, I'll starting looking for a good used one.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Mick:

With respect to the difficulty you have sitting for long periods of time (referred to in the embedded link in your original post), have you tried using a Roho cushion? These are medical grade quality air cushions. Roho makes several models that they market directly to motorcyclists under the name 'AirHawk'.

I bought one last summer, and was really pleased with it - so much so that I started using it for long distance trips in the car, and long distance flights in the aircraft I fly.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx This is not some kind of motorcycle-only gizmo, here's a link to the manufacturer's primary (medical) website: https://roho.com/

Might be worth a look.

Michael

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx This is not some kind of motorcycle-only gizmo, here's a link to the manufacturer's primary (medical) website: https://roho.com/ Might be worth a look.

From the website:

"has a cutout area that runs throughout the center of the cushion from front to back that allows for 3 points of no contact:tailbone, prostate and scrotum."

It certainly would be worth a look. I've known of the Air Hawk pad but have never seen this model with the cutout. Must be pretty new. Wish it had been around or I had known about it before I sold my ST!

Thanks.

Bike
07 ST1300
I rented an ultra classic in savanna rode to florida and back. It was quite nice for two up riding. I rented a softail heritage and it was absurd.
I do like the CTX idea though. Better bike then any harley I bet with a sit up position.
I dont like that all I can find to rent are HD's.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I owned an Ultra Classic prior to my ST1300. I rode the ST for 10 years and went back to the Ultra Classic. I enjoyed the ST. It is a good bike, but I find the UC much more comfortable, 1 or 2 up riding. To each his own. For me, it's a much more calming ride, much less up and down shifting. The stock seat is very comfortable. Harley has made several improvements with their Rushmore Project. I'm loving my UC.

My only regret is that I haven't found a Harley forum/website that is as comprehensive or formatted as well at this forum and the ST1300.us forum.

I hope you find a comfortable bike. If you can't comfortably enjoy your bike - what's the point? I hope you find a bike that works for you.

Dale :D

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I do like the CTX idea though. Better bike then any harley I bet with a sit up position.
I dont like that all I can find to rent are HD's.
And therein lies the problem. Whatever I buy, I'll need to rent it for a couple of days for a good long ride so I can make sure it will work out. I haven't seen a place around here that rents Honda cruisers.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My last real ride on a motorcycle was last March, 2015. Since then, I've kept hoping that one day I'd wake up and the condition that causes me to stay off bikes will magically be gone and I'll be able to ride again.

The other day, on a hunch, I sat on a guy's cruiser to see how his seat felt. I was thinking that maybe if I could find a bike that had me sitting more like in a chair, it might keep some of the pressure off my nether regions thus allowing me to ride again. Turns out that the pressure was less than on any of my previous bikes, including the ST. Heat is also part of the discomfort equation but I'm thinking that maybe if the pressure isn't there, the summer heat by itself might not be a problem.

After sitting on the above cruiser, I decided to drop by the local Harley shop and see what their stock bikes felt like. I sat on several but when I sat on an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Alpha name = FLHTCU), it felt like there might be a real possibility I could actually ride again and it not bother me! I looked to see if anyone rented that exact model and all I found was Eagleriders in Dallas (I'm in Houston). Might have to make a special trip up there and rent one for a couple of days during the summer and spend serious saddle time on it as a test.

Lord help me, being a die-hard Japanese sport-touring fan, I never thought I'd ever see myself seriously considering a cruiser, but if it gets me back on two wheels again, so be it.

Harley rental places in Houston are nowhere near as numerous as they once were. I found a place nearby in The Woodlands that rents Harleys but they don't list an Electra Glide as one of their rental units.

Anyone know of places in Texas other than Dallas that might rent Electra Glides? I want to give it a try when the weather warms up to 90+ degrees. If the experiment works out, I'll starting looking for a good used one.
Can't help with the rental question but I own both the ST and a Road Glide Special. The RGS is very comfortable even with the stock seat, which is a first for me. It is surprisingly fast and handles very well for a 841 lb. bike. As an added benefit, any passengers that may be riding with me choose the Harley, hands down. The girls like it.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Mick, have you ever sat on a Gold Wing? My 1800 is very comfortable and am able to sit on it for hours on end during long distant rides. Sometimes feels like I'm sitting on my sofa! Just a thought.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Mick, have you ever sat on a Gold Wing?
Yes I did and it's the bike I'd MUCH rather have. I've sat on several (did so today) and it's not as comfortable "down there" as the Electra Glide felt.

I'll know this summer when I rent the Harley for a couple of days if it's gonna make the cut. Might also see if I can rent a 'Wing somewhere. The test needs to be a 400 mile + day in the saddle in the middle of a hot summer day. Of course, if it's not working at all, I'll probably know within 50 miles.

Are you up and functioning well on two wheels now that that gaggle of operations you had is over?

Last edited:

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Don't dismiss Indian, I demo rode one for fun and was thoroughly impressed with the fueling and transmission.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Yes I did and it's the bike I'd MUCH rather have. I've sat on several (did so today) and it's not as comfortable "down there" as the Electra Glide felt.

I'll know this summer when I rent the Harley for a couple of days if it's gonna make the cut. Might also see if I can rent a 'Wing somewhere. The test needs to be a 400 mile + day in the saddle in the middle of a hot summer day. Of course, if it's not working at all, I'll probably know within 50 miles.

Are you up and functioning well on two wheels now that that gaggle of operations you had is over?
Mick, thanks for asking. I'm still fighting the knee a little but it's getting much better. I'll be doing a lot more riding this year than last.

Here's an offer for you. If you come up to Dallas to rent a Harley, when your finished head over my way and you can take my Wing out for a couple of days, if you would like. I wouldn't have a problem with it. I could always accompany you on my Wee? I live just a little SW of Ft Worth.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Mick,

Mancuso Southwest 59 used to rent Harleys. My son, James and I, rented a Road King and Roadster for a weekend from them before we bought our ST1300s back in 2009.

Don't see they advertise rental on their website but might be worth a call.

John Eagle Honda Powersports, our local Honda dealer out on US290, will also let you do an extended ride on any of their demo bikes.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Mancuso Southwest 59 used to rent Harleys.
So far I've googled to find shops that rent in Houston and the only one I've been able to find that still rents is a dealer in The Woodlands. Their rental inventory doesn't have an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (the one I felt comfortable with) listed. Your comment however has spurred me to dig a little deeper for better info. I've only talked directly with one shop and that was with Stubbs Harley. They do not rent.

Top Bottom