PDA

View Full Version : Self Cancelling turn signal does not cancel

Luc252
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this board. I just purchased an '03 ST1300A and just love it. Very different than my '83 Goldwing.

Would anyone have any idea as to why the self cancelling turn signal switch does not self cancel? I have to manually turn it off after a turn or lane change.

Thanks for the help.

Luc

Don-STOC237
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Er, because the ST's don't have self-cancelling turn signals?

hojo in sc
08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
My ST has self cancelling; I do it MYSELF:D Which by the way, works better than my GL1500 and GL1800 did, as they turned off before I wanted them to.

sttourer
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
You'll get used to the old manual way. I came off a Wing to the ST too. It took a couple of months but I finally got used to it.

Pat

Buzz
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Congrats on the purchase and welcome! The turn switch is a manual push to cancel. There are a few threads of discussion on turn signals which you can find with a search...try this one as a start:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15759&highlight=turn+switch

Luc252
08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I know it will take a while to get used to, if they are manual. I asked the question because page 33 of the owners manual states:

"The appropriate turn signal lights will start blinking. The lights will automatically stop when you complete the turn. (you can manually cancel the lights by pushing the switch in.)"

I like the self cancelling feature on my GL1100i. To me, it's just one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the replies.

Luc

Scaredy Cat
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Some things I like to have responsibility for - I would prefer to be able to choose whether my headlights are on or off - "Farkle" I hear you cry - yep, maybe soon.
I also like to be able to choose when my turn signal turns off. In a car it's kind of obvious, once you've spun the wheel so far it turns off, on a bike it can't work like that so has to rely on a timer. I'd rather forget it than have it turn off when I thought it was on. Was it BMWs that used to have that obnoxious buzzing sound?

Blue STreak
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I'd rather forget it than have it turn off when I thought it was on.

Not sure I agree with this. Riding down the road with your left turn signal flashing is a good way to die. Sooner or later, someone's going to approach you at an intersection, assume you're turning left, and turn the other way right in your path.

Ditto for the right turn signal: Sooner or later someone's going to assume you're turning and pull out of a side street right in front of you.

Failing to turn off the signals is a very dangerous thing to do on a bike.

Scaredy Cat
08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
True.
Riding on full beam might confuse folks too. Riding too fast might stop people noticing you.
OK I don't live in "Sue me" America, but
HOW HARD IS IT TO TURN OFF YOUR TURN SIGNAL?

Come on guys......

I got my asbestos jacket on......

Blue STreak
08-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I didn't say it was hard to turn off your turn signal. I didn't say I wish the ST had self cancelling turn signals. I just took issue with the statement that leaving your turn signal blinking is better than having it shut off too soon.

I had a Suzuki years ago with self cancelling turn signals. I got in the habit of hitting the turn signal multiple times to keep it from shutting off too soon. On my ST I'm in the habit of turning it off manually, and checking after a turn to make sure I remembered to turn it off.

forgitaboutut
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
did you you check the turn signal fluid?!
if its low your turn signal keeps blinking!:crackup

Viggo
03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
In a car it's kind of obvious, once you've spun the wheel so far it turns off, on a bike it can't work like that so has to rely on a timer. I'd rather forget it than have it turn off when I thought it was on.

On my Goldwing, the self-cancelling signals were not on a timer. They were actuated by the speedo, lol. The first time I broke a speedo cable, the signals quit self-cancelling so I took the bike to the stealer (still under warranty) who told me they were speed controlled. When the cable was replaced, they worked again.

Bones
03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
My '89 PC800 had self-cancelling signals. There was some sort of level switch that shut them off after you leaned left or right then came back up straight. If you turned on your blinkers waiting for a traffic light they'd stay on indefinitely until you got moving and leaned into your turn and came back up. If you put them on while you were moving straight they'd go for 10 to 12 flashes then shut off. That's the best self-cancelling setup I've seen, definitely better than a straight timer.

I think it was Larry Grodsky (RIP) who wrote in a column about developing a habit of pushing the signal cancel on your bike after every turn, and also every so often just in case you forget, as we all do.

UNTMatt
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I have self-canceling turn signals.

It's called, my thumb and if it's broke, I probably have other things to worry about than riding.

Always got to have some other luxury to make it like a Civic. :rolleyes:

Next thread will be about cruise control and the Babecage (http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19307) as standard equipment.

dond
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this board. I just purchased an '03 ST1300A and just love it. Very different than my '83 Goldwing.

Would anyone have any idea as to why the self cancelling turn signal switch does not self cancel? I have to manually turn it off after a turn or lane change.

Thanks for the help.

Luc

Luc, you have a owners manual that had errors and was supposed to be replaced with a corrected one.
I have the same manual and am keeping it for a souvenier.
There were some wt capacity errors also.

Go Ride :cool:

TX Matt
03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Say what you want about HD but they have self cancelling turn signals, work off lean and speed.

nm6r
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Say what you want about HD but they have self cancelling turn signals, work off lean and speed.

:crackup

They must be set really sensitive to turn off.

Ray
http://www.frontiernet.net/~st1300rider/smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Bones
03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
:crackup

They must be set really sensitive to turn off.

Ray
http://www.frontiernet.net/~st1300rider/smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Rimshot, bass drum, cymbal crash!

Herleman
03-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I just wish the turn signal lights on the dash were brighter. I often fail to notice that they are blinking and early alzheimers seems to prevent me from remember to turn them off all the time -- dangerous.

I've actually thought about putting some sort of timer in the system to turn them off after an appropriate amount of time. I'd rather have to turn them on again regularly than to have somebody pull out becaue they presumed that the turn signal meant that I was actually going to turn.

I've read over the various threads and it seems that there is really not an effective solution.

Come on techies -- come up with something that works (tie it to the GPS or a gyro or some other gadget if necessary). I bet there is a lot of money to be made selling such a farkle.

BigTom
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Herleman

For a very reasonable fee, I'd sell you my old Venture. The self canceling system on it worked really good. You could tear it down and figure it out.

I'm working from memory here, but I think the signals were on for 10 seconds or 390 feet which ever came last. Your signals stayed on in a stopped for a turn situation, canceled in a reasonable distance. Suzuki had the same set up for a few years....My GS 1000 had it, and I think the old Water Buffalo did too...

BTW, if you are interested in the Venture, it is for sale AS IS, WHERE IS. No exceptions:)

CaST
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

Luc

When I first got my ST I thought for $15K at least they could give me a good seat, a power outlet, a radio, handle bars that don't make my neck hurt and self-canceling turn signals but then again, I like to go eat at restaurants where they treat me like ****, so owning an ST is like eating at my favorite bistro. ;)

Littlejohn64
04-02-2007, 01:57 PM
I just wish the turn signal lights on the dash were brighter. I often fail to notice that they are blinking and early alzheimers seems to prevent me from remember to turn them off all the time -- dangerous.

I've actually thought about putting some sort of timer in the system to turn them off after an appropriate amount of time. I'd rather have to turn them on again regularly than to have somebody pull out becaue they presumed that the turn signal meant that I was actually going to turn.

I've read over the various threads and it seems that there is really not an effective solution.

Come on techies -- come up with something that works (tie it to the GPS or a gyro or some other gadget if necessary). I bet there is a lot of money to be made selling such a farkle.
The ones on my girlfriends Yamaha are tied into the RPM reading, as well as a time reading. If shes sitting at a light below a certain RPM, theyll stay on indefinately. Once the engine rises above that RPM, it begins a timer that shuts them off after a given amount of time. This can cause a problem if you put them on too early though, as if its exceeds that set time above the set RPM, it will turn them off.

BigBadblue
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
No, it is not tied to RPM.
I owned a 1976 RD400 that had self-canceling turn signals and the way Yamaha did it was they turned off in 10 seconds or 100 meters, whichever came LAST. So if you were at a stop light the 100 meters came last and if you were exiting the freeway the 10 seconds came last. BTW they work very good, and that bike was the worst thing that ever happen to my drivers licence, the judge told me to sell it.

Littlejohn64
04-03-2007, 07:34 AM
I owned a 1976 RD400 that had self-canceling turn signals and the way Yamaha did it was they turned off in 10 seconds or 100 meters, whichever came LAST. So if you were at a stop light the 100 meters came last and if you were exiting the freeway the 10 seconds came last. BTW they work very good, and that bike was the worst thing that ever happen to my drivers licence, the judge told me to sell it.
That sounds like it makes sense, and would work good, but Im pretty sure I read in her manual that hers (2003 1100 V Star) was tied to RPM. Ill see if I can find it again.

Littlejohn64
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
I stand corrected. I couldnt get access to a manual, but did some searching on the ISRA forum, and that is the information I found. Self cancel based on time and/or distance.

Critters
04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Geeze,, my buddies and I were discussing this same thing on our ride 3/11. I wanted to make one, but to sell to more people, I would want to make it a "plug n play" device. The ease of intergration into the wiring would be a bonus, but would require a lot more engineering.
How much do you think one would sell for ?

I had the same problem,because I am 6'2" I couldn't see the original dash lights so I have installed a couple of green LED's on the upper vents, I amde them muself and if I sell the bike they can be easily removed without leaving any unsightly holes. It cost me approx 8 GBP to put them together for the pair. I experimented with different colours but found green the best. I have attached a couple of pics for your info. If you need further info just get in touch.

Critters
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi I used the wrong quote in my post, i should have used the following.

Originally Posted by Herleman

Outlaws
04-06-2007, 11:26 AM

How do the self cancelling signals work on a Pacific Coast???

Could they be adapted???

catman
04-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I have the 2005 ST 1300 and it is kind of dangerous if the signal light is left on,and its happened to me a few times so what I did was install LED strip lights on my mirrors and we always look in the mirrors or at least I do,that way you will know if the signal lights are on or off,I picked them up at J & P Cycle,they are by RIVCO products Inc. are called S.O.M.A. lights part#
ZZ34090,oh the other thing the LED lights are wired into the turn signals in back of the mirrors,just knock off the cover to expose the wires.:03biker:

Don-STOC237
04-06-2007, 02:18 PM
How do the self cancelling signals work on a Pacific Coast???

Could they be adapted???

My wife's PC has self-cancelling turn signals. They're ok at turning off the signals if you forget, or after you make a turn, however, I don't like them much. If you're waiting any length of time at all, say at a corner to make a turn, they self-cancel too early and you end up having to restart the turn signal. IMO this is just as dangerous as leaving them on too long, with the added bonus that you may get a ticket for failing to signal a turn. :eek: