Symtec heated grip wiring question

I installed my Symtec heated grips yesterday, but the wiring diagram they provided seems odd. Specifically, they show the low intensity wires attaching to the prong by the high intensity switch setting, and vica versa. This seems backwards to me, but maybe I just don't understand how the internals of the rocker switch work. The grips heated up in a brief test I did, but I haven't determined yet if the rocker switch on the "High" setting = high heat or low heat. Anyone else install these and can comment?

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
What's in the diagram may be a little deceptive about how the switch works. There are a number of different switch designs, but the most common one switches the center pin ("common," where the 12 Volts DC from your battery goes in) to the opposite physical side of the switch.

If you have a continuity tester or ohm meter, you can check this for yourself. Disconnect everything from the switch, pop it into one position or the other and see which pin you see continuity on from the center.

--Mark

Last edited:
I just installed mine yesterday and thought the directions were just misprinted. I guess I'll head out to the garage and switch the wires around.

STOC #
So, did any of you follow the instructions about attaching to a headlight, dashlight or taillight line? Or, did you back to a quartet or fuse block?

Any info might help me sort out the somewhat confusing instructions.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I just finished my Symtec install as well... I went with a heat-troller instead though... And tapped into my fuse block for power... I already love the heated grips and don't know how I managed to live without them... :D
:cool:

STOC #
I just got done installing the Symtec grip heaters as well as a Powerlet plug. Instead of going with the quartet harness I tapped into the accessory loom and just piggy-backed the accessory power and ground lines.

Pictures and a somewhat step-by-step are now on my blog.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have another question that the electrical guru's may have an answer for.

Symtec grip heaters have three leads, White,Red,Blue. Instructions are to wire white to white, blue to blue and red to red with the red being the grnd.

What would happen if another combination were used? Less heat? More Heat?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would guess:

1. They would not work.

2. Low on switch would be High heat, High on switch would be Low heat.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
No, I think I would get different levels of heat. I don't have a meter to check this out but ...what if I moved the white leads to ground, or the blue leads to ground instead of using the red leads for ground ?

Has anyone explored this ?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
SO .............I got an ohm meter and checked the various combinations.

Stock, ie RED as gnd....WHITE = high, BLUE= low heat settings.

BLUE as gnd - WHITE = really high and RED = low.

WHITE as gnd- BLUE= really high and RED = very high.

So the answer is they will work, it just depends on how hot you want your grips. Looks like the fctory wiring method is best all around.

Top Bottom