Symtec's in a seat?

sickchilly

ennui...
STOC #
Anyone tried it? They're cheap, come with wiring and round switch that would look good in the side of the seat. Get two kits, put two elements per seat, one element under each cheek/upper thigh...

I wonder if they actually put out enough heat to be felt under seat upholstery and two layers of clothes (jeans and FG HT Overpants)? I've found several heating elements specifically for seats, but they seem to be pretty pricey and overcomplicated for my needs. Most are actually probably too big, intended for luxury autos... I guess I could send the seat back to Russell for heat upgrade, but having them do both seats would also be pretty pricey and I don't want the bike to be down for a week or more. I ride it every day, it's my primary mode of transport. And frankly, I'd miss doing it myself cause I'm like that. ;)

Looks like the specs are 3A @ 13.5 volts. That should be about 40.5 watts or 137 BTU/hr. Doesn't seem like enough to me? What say ye...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Interesting idea...

The only think I'm thinking is the material isn't supposed to flex other than to wrap around the handlebars so putting it in an application where it flexes a lot might cause it to crack and no longer work...

Let us know if you try it and it works.. would be a nice cheap addition.. heck, call symtec and see if they would consider making a kit...

I just ordered a Carbotex motorcycle kit from these guys. It contains 2 pads with 1 themp controler for both seat, and a 3 position (low-high-off) illumunitad waterproof switch. They equipped winger and big beemers regularly. Very thin material. All is requires is a proper connection to a contact power, take off the cover carefully if you are keeping the seats stock, slip the pad heaters under the finishing foam, following the instrunction. Put back the cover, get staple gun with SS staples and some contact glue. Take your time and Misses will me all warm and toasty. Specially if you install the control at her reach. You may get hot buns too.!!

I decided to have it done to both seats during the custom remodeling work I'm having done on them. It's all apart and I provide the heating kit. It's just a matter of layering it there before the finishing light foam and the vinyle recovery step are done. I'll I have to do is the wire connection. I'll post pictures when all is done.

Shipped to the great white north, it cost me 128.00 cda. May be cheaper in th US.

Here is the link ;
http://www.carbotex.com/products.php

Carbotex 29601 motorcycle kit.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Trent, if Maggie would have listened to my advice you wouldn't have this issue to worry about!! My Russell has one of their warmers installed and it's really nice. Tried to convince her to do the same, but no luck.

The kit looks like a pretty decent option. Or you might pay a visit to Rich up on Aurora and see what he can come up with. Since you ride year round, this would be a good investment in riding pleasure.

John

OP
OP
sickchilly

sickchilly

ennui...
STOC #
I came across that Carbotex outfit in my searches. The only odd thing I saw is that it's one switch for both seats. A little odd. Shouldn't be hard to wire split the elements and wire in another relay and switch though. I like their switches, pretty stylin'.

I thought about checking in with Rich's. Haven't done it yet. I'm sure he'd be just as expensive as sending it back to Russell, but perhaps he'd be able to turn it faster. I can't stand putting gas in my cars! Gotta ride, beautiful day today.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Perhaps if you look around ATV or snowmobile accessories, you will find a heated seat pad. We have one locally here, brand name "Ignition", but I am not sure of details for size or whether switches are included. It is CAN$45.

STOC #
I came across that Carbotex outfit in my searches. The only odd thing I saw is that it's one switch for both seats. A little odd. Shouldn't be hard to wire split the elements and wire in another relay and switch though. I like their switches, pretty stylin'.
That's because it is a automotive seat heater unit, one pad for the seat, one for the seat back. It is also not waterproof, their waterproof unit is another $75, and still the switch is not rated for exterior use.

In the next couple weeks I will be offering installation of a riders seat heat unit specifically designed for use in motorcycle seats. It is shaped to fit the seat, all electrical is supplied (down to the fuse), waterproof, vibration proof, and tested by the US automotive safety board. It will feature a digital high low controller instead of a bi-metal thermostat for fast warm up and consistent heat under all conditions. The control switch is a lighted three position waterproof switch that can be panel mounted, or mounted with a yet to be finalized bracket made by another ST-Owners member. It also only draws 1.5 amps on high and automatically shuts off after an hour of use so it can be simply wired directly to the battery with out the worry of forgetting to turn it off. The price....installed...will be less than the purchase price of the waterproof Carbotex unit. It will be able to be installed in just about any seat on any make or model, stock or aftermarket, that does not have a glued cover.
We have been working on this unit with the largest manufacturer of automotive seat heaters since September. It just wasn't good enough until the final version was finished and put into production this month.
We missed this winter riding season, but a cobbled together retro fitted automotive unit just wasn't acceptable if I was going to be associated with it.
If interested keep your eyes on the Vendor section.

Ride safe, Spencer

Last edited:
OP
OP
sickchilly

sickchilly

ennui...
STOC #
In the next couple weeks I will be offering installation of a riders seat heat unit specifically designed for use in motorcycle seats.
Ride safe, Spencer
Suh-weeeet! From what I've read about your work on this board, Spencer I'm sure you've done it right. Your price, quality and sped of service always impresses. I can't wait and will be watching for more info... Will be nice to have next winter. Thanks for all you do.

Top Bottom