PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Support A++++

number9
03-29-2007, 05:48 AM
My 2720, which had NT_v7 and was not eligible for the "free" upgrade, was getting fog behind the screen when left outside on the bike in cold weather. Contacted Garmin and they were nothing but nice and helpful - very rare phone call these days.

Anyways, I get it back yesterday and it is a different serial #, so they obviously replaced it (or swapped it out with another refurb) which is fine with me. The kicker is.......the new unit is preloaded with NT_v8 and a new NT_v8 DVD was in the box with it...... free of charge :woo

This whole transaction has locked me in as a Garmin-only GPS customer unless things change drastically. Their great customer service and giving me the NT_v8 DVD which probably costs them under $5 has assured that the next $500+ I throw down for a GPS will have Garmin's name on it. Too bad alot of other places don't get the benifit of treating the customer well.

motomac
03-29-2007, 06:00 AM
I have nothing but good service with Garmin also. Both with e-mail and phone service. I guess when they realize some of us are lacking computer and electronic skills, they try a little harder.

dduelin
03-29-2007, 06:38 AM
+++ for Garmin.

I had a Garmin 12XL I left on the trunk of my car and drove off. It fell on the road but I was lucky enough to find it when I backtracked. It would not power up and the corners of the case were damaged. I called Garmin and inquired about mailing it in for repair as the damage was clearly my fault. I was given a RA to mail it in. It my great surprise I had a new one Fed Ex'ed to my doorstep two days later - replaced under warranty!

When I was in the business of selling marine electronics I often had to call tech support to get the answer to a question. Without fail with Garmin I always was able to talk to a person in Kansas - not India - that helped me. This was not the case with competitors like Raymarine, Lowrance, or Magellan who at the time only took voice mail pleas. These manufacturers may be different now but I wouldn't know as Garmin has gotten me as a loyal customer.

Burger
03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm OK with Garmin support except they don't know anything about the navigation system they supply to Honda for the GW's. The conversation went something like this...

Hello, how can I help you.

Hi, I have a navigation system built into my Honda Goldwing that's supplied by Garmin.

What model is it.

I have no idea, it's built into a Honda Goldwing.

A gold what?

A Goldwing.

Gold ring?

No, Honda, Goldwing, Motorcycle.

No, what model is the navigation system.

I don't know, it's built into the motorcycle.

It must have a model.

It probably does but I don't know what it is and that's one of the questions I have for you.

What color is it?

It's in a black plastic case in the trunk.

OK, what model does it say on it?

It doesn't.

This is impossible. All Garmin units have a model.

Well this is the one fitted as an OEM system to a Honda Goldwing.

Gold ring?

Noooo. Gold WING.

Sorry sir, I can't help you.

True story from last week.

In fairness, after deciding he couldn't help me, he put me through to someone who at least new what a Goldwing is, understood I'd imported one, even knew they supplied the nav system but was then more interested in what I could tell him about it and had no information at all for me.

So... friendly... sure... Helpful? Time will tell :D

Regards,

STeve1300
03-29-2007, 07:17 AM
+1 for Garmin support!!! .....and they speak English! My 276C was having memory card problems... 512MB only holding 256MB... They sent me a new $100 plus card and let me keep the old one. My GPS was over a year old!

UNTMatt
03-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Just got off the phone with Garmin and have an RMA to send mine back for the same reason as number9's. Will try to get it in the mail asap.

Person on the phone seemed nice enough...we'll see how the service goes.

BigTom
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Quote by Burger
I have no idea, it's built into a Honda Goldwing......
A Goldwing......
No, Honda, Goldwing, Motorcycle.......
Well this is the one fitted as an OEM system to a Honda Goldwing...........
Noooo. Gold WING.......

I'm not very bright, but I think I see a trend developing:) Have you ever considered a Pan Euro?

Hee Hee Heee

number9
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm OK with Garmin support except they don't know anything about the navigation system they supply to Honda for the GW's. The conversation went something like this...

Hello, how can I help you.
Hi, I have a navigation system built into my Honda Goldwing that's supplied by Garmin.
What model is it.
I have no idea, it's built into a Honda Goldwing.
A gold what?
A Goldwing.
Gold ring?
No, Honda, Goldwing, Motorcycle.
No, what model is the navigation system.
I don't know, it's built into the motorcycle.
It must have a model.
It probably does but I don't know what it is and that's one of the questions I have for you.
What color is it?
It's in a black plastic case in the trunk.
OK, what model does it say on it?
It doesn't.
This is impossible. All Garmin units have a model.
Well this is the one fitted as an OEM system to a Honda Goldwing.
Gold ring?
Noooo. Gold WING.
Sorry sir, I can't help you.

True story from last week.

In fairness, after deciding he couldn't help me, he put me through to someone who at least new what a Goldwing is, understood I'd imported one, even knew they supplied the nav system but was then more interested in what I could tell him about it and had no information at all for me.

So... friendly... sure... Helpful? Time will tell :D

Regards,

Maybe if you had told him it was a 2-wheeled motorhome that you see old men and women parking in front of Cracker Barrel's he would have knew what you meant. :crackup

Just kidding :D

forgitaboutut
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
A+++!!!!!!!!
I just broke the 12V adapter that goes to the Cig. lighter for my zumo
ordered another one
then called garmin, just to check...sure enough - they cancelled my order
and sent me a new one!

nm6r
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Apparently the fogging problem is not one they are willing to actually fix. I believe all of the 26xx and 27xx series will fog under the right conditions as friends with a 2610 and a 2720 have both also experienced it. I had the same issue on my 2610. I gave up after my third replacement.

A Garmin rep is suppose to be at the local BMW open house this Saturday. He is suppose to be able to answer all questions and show how to make the most of one's gps. I will be asking him about the fogging and why the 2720 consistantly reboots when in a multiple waypoint route.

Ray
http://www.frontiernet.net/~st1300rider/smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

UNTMatt
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Apparently the fogging problem is not one they are willing to actually fix. I believe all of the 26xx and 27xx series will fog under the right conditions as friends with a 2610 and a 2720 have both also experienced it. I had the same issue on my 2610. I gave up after my third replacement.

A Garmin rep is suppose to be at the local BMW open house this Saturday. He is suppose to be able to answer all questions and show how to make the most of one's gps. I will be asking him about the fogging and why the 2720 consistantly reboots when in a multiple waypoint route.

Ray
http://www.frontiernet.net/~st1300rider/smile04Bikerwheelie.gif

Well, at least I can say I tried. First time in the year I've had ours that I've seen fog. The reboot issues I've gotten down to a minimal but not completely resolved. Let us know how that open house goes...curious to hear his/her reasoning.

number9
03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
You still having reboot issues? What version of firmware are you running? I had no reboots with v6.2 and Karen voice 1.2.

I now have my unit to v7.0 with Karen voice 1.4 but haven't got to use it yet.

UNTMatt
03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
You still having reboot issues? What version of firmware are you running? I had no reboots with v6.2 and Karen voice 1.2.

I now have my unit to v7.0 with Karen voice 1.4 but haven't got to use it yet.

It rebooted on the way back from San Antonio back in January. No reason for it at all.

Different firmware now due to the DST issue. Will get you more info when I get it back from Garmin.

Snoweyowl
03-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I have nothing but good words to say about Garmin support. Could not load my V7 upgrade on new computer since I need to load previous version first and those versions did not support Windows XP. Called Garmin they sent out a new full disk of V7 to use with my unlock code. Could not get it to run, problem was with DVD compatibility. Call Garmin again. They burned an unlabled disk of V7 and sent it overnight AM. Problem solved. No charge for anything.

UNTMatt
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Just got off the phone with Garmin and have an RMA to send mine back for the same reason as number9's. Will try to get it in the mail asap.

Person on the phone seemed nice enough...we'll see how the service goes.

Delivery brought the 2720 home today. City Nav v8 dvd in the box. :D

Well, if it wasn't 'fixed' I'll live with a little fog since they sent me the updated software for $28 (my cost to ship it in for repair).

dpadair
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
My 2730 has only fogged once in the year I've had it. It reboots sometimes just after reporting a red light camera (maybe 20% of the time) from a POI list I've installed.

BamaRider
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Are not 27 series units designed for the controlled atmosphere of a car? Why would you be surprised if the screen fogged in cold and rain?

number9
04-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Nope - the 26xx / 27xx / 28xx are fully waterproof. They just have a history of getting some condensation behind the screen - maybe a fault common to the body design / gasket. :shrug2: