PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level?

Landon
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Just got my bike home from the dealer for service. I let the bike sit for about 10 minutes and then go to check the oil level. I cannot see the oil level as it is above the top of the sight glass. What should I do?

1. Forget about it and go ride.
2. Try to remove a little.(if this is the answer how do you do that?)
3. Call the dealer and tell them I want them to provide the oil for me to do my own oil change?

4. I KNOW I SHOULD NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND SHOULD DO THE WORK MYSELF, SO WE CAN LEAVE THOSE COMMENTS ON THE SHELF.

Thanks,
Landon

ConqSoft
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
None of the above. Take it back to the dealer and make them correct the problem.

Landon
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said I could bring it back by and they could suck some of it out.

What would happen if I just rode it and did not worry about it? I could alway lean the bike over some and see how much over the sight glass it is. Or do I need to have some taken out?

Landon

ConqSoft
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
If it's above the max line, there's a chance it could find its way up into the airbox, and other issues.

It most likely won't cause any problems, but since you paid the dealer to do it, they should do it right, to be sure nothing happens.

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok, when I first got mine home, I panicked as well.

The manual states to check the oil, let the engine run for a couple of minutes, wait a couple, then check.

Note: Make sure the bike is on it's center stand and on a level surface. This should be self explanatory but someone will post up that I didn't note that. :rolleyes:

You rode home, oil is hot, oil has expanded, oil will be above top fill line. If you look inside the service manual you will see the oil is almost always above the top fill line in their photos. Follow the proper proceedure when checking the oil.

ConqSoft
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Actually when the engine is running, the oil level isn't even seen in the sight glass because it's being circulated. As the oil settles, the sight glass fills from the bottom up, so it should never be above the max line.

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Actually when the engine is running, the oil level isn't even seen in the sight glass because it's being circulated. As the oil settles, the sight glass fills from the bottom up, so it should never be above the max line.

After it sits it will go above the line. Following the manuals method it will be correct.

Landon
04-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok...its been sitting an hour + now and is still above the sight glass. I guess I can losen the drain plug and let a little out. Hopefully not to much though.

Landon

drrod
04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Landon,
I rcently changed my oil and even though I thought I was being careful, I overfilled it (about 2 mm above top line). I rode it like that for a short time thinking it was not as big a deal as some would have us believe. Well......the thing I noticed most was a sublte vibration. Supposedly this is caused by the crank hitting the top of the oil in the pan. If this is in fact happening, that can cause some issues with foaming of the oil. Anyway......when I got home, I drained about 300 mls out (very easy to do but a bit messy). The level was then between the 2 lines (after the recommended measuring procedure). Amazing how so little oil can make such a difference in the sight glass. I took the bike for a ride and the vibration was significantly reduced if not gone all together. Reason enough to take some out I think. Some of the guys I was riding with thought that overfilling could lead to damage of seals, etc.
Just a guess, but I think one of the main reasons the bike is overfilled is that oil comes in a 4 liter jug here in Canada and people just dump the whole jug in because it is close to what is required. Truth be know (at least on my bike- 04) is that the true capacity(with a new filter) is closer to 3.6 liters.
Just my $.02 worth.
Rod

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
If he let it sit for 10 minutes and it is above the sight glass, it's too full.

Don't run the engine like that.

Let the engine cool, and drain some yourself. Unless you are mechanically inept, it is as easy as removing and reinstalling the drain plug. Sure you will spill oil on your hand but NBD if the engine is cool.

Sorry to disagree with you all but I did that with mine when I first got it. Let it sit overnight, then it was below the top fill line. I spent many frustrating times trying to get the oil to the proper level soon after purchase only to have an informed member of this site help me out in the reasons I was struggling with the oil fill level.

Follow Honda's directions to check your oil.

ConqSoft
04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, mine is cold now. Been sitting for two days. It is dead on the max line, where I filled it when I did my first service oil change. And I can tell you that at no point, during riding, when the bike is hot, nor during cool down, does it ever go above the max fill line.

If his bike has been sitting for an hour, and it's over the max line, he has too much oil in there.

The procedure:

To read the oil level correctly, you must start the engine and let it idle until the engine and oil are warm - three bars on the temperature gauge. Then shut off the engine, and wait three minutes for the oil to drain down to the oil pan. Read the oil level while the bike is on its center stand.

Where did you see that it told you that you have to wait overnight to check the level?

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Disagree all you want. Gravity pulls oil into the sump. The level in the sight glass will go nowhere but up the longer the bike sits on the center stand.

After running the engine, Honda's directions say to wait 5 minutes then check the level. After those 5 minutes, the level increases. Another check an hour or two later or even overnight might find the level 1/4 of an inch higher.

Actually, Honda's directions state:

Park on level surface on the center stand.

I apologize, my first response was a little off the OM and SM both state, start the engine and let it idle for 3 - 5 minutes. Make sure that the low oil pressure indicator turns off. If the indicator remains on, stop the engine immediately.

Wait 2 -3 minutes, then check oil.

If it is at or just below the top fill mark, the oil is at the proper level.

I never said that his oil wasn't overfilled, just to follow Honda's directions. On my bike, after riding until the engine was up to full operating tempature, the oil would always be above the top fill mark. Waiting over night for it to fully cool down, then following Honda's instructions, I would find the oil to be at the proper level.

If you notice in all of the pictures in the Honda service manual that show the site glass, the oil level is always above the top fill line.

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Where did you see that it told you that you have to wait overnight to check the level?

That just assures that the oil is starting cold.

I don't know where you got that proceedure from, but the OM does not state to warm up to three bars prior to checking the oil. Neither does the SM.

Landon
04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
So you checked it personally?

I did, and it is not just over the fill line a little. It is over the site glass completely. If you would like, I can go take a picture and come back and post it so you can see for yourself.

After work tomorrow I will loosen the drain plug and drain a little.

Landon

UNTMatt
04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I did, and it is not just over the fill line a little. It is over the site glass completely. If you would like, I can go take a picture and come back and post it so you can see for yourself.

After work tomorrow I will loosen the drain plug and drain a little.

Landon

Na, not you. I"m just not in the mood to put up with Miles. Smarted off when I shouldn't have, so for that, I apologize.

Problem I had with loosening the drain plug, is nothing came out until the plug was just about out of thread. Then, murphy's law states that it will fall out, into the drain pan, and you will be refilling the bike with fresh oil. Just loosen very slowly and do not do as I did and try this when the oil is hot cause you want to go ride some more. :o:

Landon
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Na, not you. I"m just not in the mood to put up with Miles. Smarted off when I shouldn't have, so for that, I apologize.

Ok...Apology accepted.

BigBadblue
04-18-2007, 07:39 PM
More than likely it is slightly overfull and there is no problem with that, as the only possible detrimental effect is the spinning crankshaft might be in light contact with the standing oil in the sump which would result in a small amount of drag hence a minuscule power loss. I would enlist some help and have them sit on the bike and tip the slightly to the right and left while you observe the window as to get a feel for the actual oil level. There is a larger danger in trying to drain a small amount and being in a rush to re-install the drain plug and messing up the pan threads in doing so.

saaz
04-19-2007, 07:04 AM
There is no rocket science to this. park on a known level area. Check as per manual. Then check again a day or so later. Now you know if there is any difference between the two times, so you can check the level before going on a ride.

Checking the level on unknown surfaces can lead to differences, as I notice a slight difference if I check it in the garage or where the bike normally lives in the locked carport. The concrete level is fractionally different.

dhuber
04-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I would not be concerned about over filling a ST1300. I got my bike from the dealer and every time I checked the oil all I could see was a tiny air bubble at the top of the glass because the oil was over full. I rode the bike this way for 500 miles with no ill effect. I just change my oil for the first time and I put in 4.5 quarts and now my oil is just slightly above the full line. I'm guessing the dealer put in 5 quarts.