Heat Troller ? Wiring from Quartet Harness

Hello, I have some questions about the Quartet Harness that came on my new-to-me 04. Can the QH support the amp draw for a heat troller or should I add a relay and just use the QH switched power as a relay trigger? I've already got a set heated grips on the QH.

Does the QH have an un-switched lead as well? I need un-switched power for my GPS lead.

Thanks!

Ted - Denver

STOC #
Hello, I have some questions about the Quartet Harness that came on my new-to-me 04. Can the QH support the amp draw for a heat troller or should I add a relay and just use the QH switched power as a relay trigger? I've already got a set heated grips on the QH.

Does the QH have an un-switched lead as well? I need un-switched power for my GPS lead.

Thanks!

Ted - Denver
I would suggest not using the harness. The HeatTroller pulls 15A at high load, which is more then I'd want running through the bike's harness. It's an easy thing to run the HeatTroller's lead back to the battery. I ended up putting my control just under the left fairing pocket. I'll take a pic of it when I get home, should you desire that. The box fits quite well under the seat and it wasn't hard running the control around the airbox and up the frame.

If you are worried about power, think about installing a switched fusebox and running the HeatTroller off that. I don't have one right now so it's pulling straight off the battery, but it's on the FarklingTable, waiting to be installed. And boy do I need to! I've left it on twice now and drained the battery. :eek:

I think that the QH is all switched. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it's coming off a switched outlet in harness, therefore it's all switched. I'm sure someone will be able to me if I'm wrong.

The QH will be fine for powering GPS, cell, mp3, things like that, but I would advise against pulling the power for the HeatTroller through it.

david

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I installed an EC fuse panel under the seat to power the heated grips, aux lighting and powerlets. It was easy to install and is switched through the accessory circuit so there is no danger of running the battery down if the bike is off. The quartet harness should only be used for low power accessories like cruise control or radio. Yes, the quartet has switched and unswitched power and there is a pinout diagram somewhere here in the Tech section.

OP
OP
Lowside
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. I definitely want the troller to use switched power so I?ll just add a relay and use the switched power from the QH as the relay trigger. Since I?m going to this much trouble I?ll add a small auxiliary fuse box and power if from the relay and move the power feed for the heated grips from the QH to the fuse box. That way I?ll have all of my fuses in the same location.

Thanks again!

Ted - Denver

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Where mine is mounted, under the seat, it has gotten warm enough that the sticky label on the troller box has slid around due to the glue softening. Now wether that's from bike heat, or box heat, or a combo of both I don't know. Hard to check under there during a ride. :shrug1: Never had a problem with any of it.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Where mine is mounted, under the seat, it has gotten warm enough that the sticky label on the troller box has slid around due to the glue softening. Now wether that's from bike heat, or box heat, or a combo of both I don't know. Hard to check under there during a ride. :shrug1: Never had a problem with any of it.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:
I think that's from the bike heat, not heatroller heat. I have a dual heatroller mounted under the left side cover, and I've had heatrollers on other bikes, and never noticed any issue with the label. The control box gets warm, but not hot enough to worry about above the battery, I don't think. Of, you could mount it under the side cover.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to add my info in case a new member is searching for this stuff.

I do have my heat troller for my Dual Star grip heaters wired to thhe quartet harness. Mine plug into the Q harness using the oem type connector and go into the exact same connections the Hondaline heated grips would go in to.

I've had mine wired there since the bike was new in 2007. No problems what so ever. As this quartet harness connection/wiring was designed to carry the load of the Hondaline heated grips (which do get VERY hot) I have no reason to think this connection would be unable to handle the heat troller/Dual Star grip heaters.

This Q harness connection is switched so power goes off/on with the ignition. This connection is also fused so the bikes circuit is protected from overload/short anyway. The oem fuse for this circuit is in the bikes fuse panel under the left side cover below the seat so access to replace a fuse is easy. Disconnecting the wiring if tupperware removal is neccessary is a few seconds work as I oem connectors which snap together/apart, just like with the Hondaline heated grips.

On the Q harness some of the connections are switched and some are always hot. When I got my ST1300 in 2007 I found all this info on the forum, including the pin out diagrams for all the Q harness connectors.

I got the OEM type connectors for the harness and the tool to put the connectors on wiring from Electrical Connections.

I do also have am accessory fuse panel under the passenger seat, but saw no need to run extra wiring all the way back to it for the heated grips when Honda provides a heated grip capable circuit in the Q-Harness.

Top Bottom