To those that have ever ridden a Harley...

I think I'm going to be picking up an '07 Street Glide just to cruise around with my father in law, I would NEVER consider letting the STeed go and she will ALWAYS be my first choice for any kind of real riding but I was wondering just how comfortable these pigs are, I have absolutely zero expectations for speed or handling but to those that have ridden / owned a hog, just how comfortable are they? Thanks!

My friend at work just got one. I rode it on Thursday. It was actually a really nice ride! It's lower to the ground than the ST and handles pretty good. I didn't ride it very long. I went a few miles. It vibrates super bad at idle, but when you start riding, it smoothes out real nice. You'll have fun!

Steve

STOC #
I've ridden several different models of the Electraglide family and have found them to be quite comfortable. The saddles seem to offer pretty good support and the footboards aren't so far forward as to put all the weight on my butt. One thing I always liked about these bikes is how stable they are in truck wakes and cross winds. I haven't ridden any of the twin cam88 or 96 machines so I can't speak to the power, but as you have no great expectations there I'm sure you'll be happy. Maybe even pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!

Brian

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Harleys are actually a comfortable ride. Buells not so much. My favorite Harley ride was the Fat Boy. The BIG 'glide is a handful (still comfortable, tho) and the bat wing handle bar fairing catches truck buffets too much.

I'd ride a Harley long term if they'd just build an aluminum framed, overhead cam V-4. ;^)

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
It would be a good idea to rent one first, spend the day on one and see if you want to suffer that much.Why can't you ride your ST with him, just keep the front brake on and you can go HD speeds. If you absolutely need a cruise I've read that the Yamaha Road Star is a far better bike.

Last edited:

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I demoed some a few years ago. Nearly all were too shaky for comfort. I put some miles on a local cop's V-Rod a while back, happily finding it a much smoother mover in straight-line acceleration especially. But its turning radius left me wanting an autoreverse in tavern parking lots. Mind you, I didn't say I didn't enjoy the experience -- but I really prefer whizzing by those places.

Styles

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have an older Electra Glide and have riden many 600 to 800 mile days on it. The Bat wing fairing is not that bad for catching wind as long as you are not doing 100 plus. It has seen both coasts and Canada...VERY comfortable on the long haul!! I would rent one, like has been suggested, as everyone has different wants and expectations from these bikes.

STOC #
Don't drop it. They are HEAVY to get back on their foots. Turning radius is on a par with the typical Aircraft carrier. Several tugs on the front wheel and one on the stern, er, rear wheel would help. Once underway, they smooth out. They do not lean through turns without encouragement (they make you think they will make the road lean instead).

And did I mention the noise? You get both exhaust noise and other assorted mechanical sounds. Is a feature. You can tell all of the parts are working because you can hear each one as it does its job.

Other than that, they are just heavy. Oops I said that. Well, they are.

Still two wheel fun though. Wind in your face, sun on your back, how bad can it be?

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I had the electra glide. They are smooth riding once you get going. It is very top heavy, but you will get used to that quickly. It is that top heavy feeling that makes you think it will do fast turns. Dont be fooled.

You know what it is like passing a car in the highway with an ST. Well the ST is a big V-8 and the HD is like a small 6. Not much power at those higher speeds, so make sure you give yourself plenty of road before attempting a pass.

Other than that you will enjoy it. Just make sure to routinely check all nuts and bolts - that idle/low speed vibration will wiggle a lot of stuff loose. :)

THE STREET GLIDE SITS AN INCH LOWER THAN THE TRADITIONAL TOURER HENCE A LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY.IT IS RUBBER MOUNTED IN RELATION TO THE MOTOR AND ONLY HAS ANY NOTICABLE VIBRATION AT AN IDLE.IT DOES HAVE A GOOD TURNING RADIUS(watch any cop ride his bike in the city).THE NEW 96 INCH MOTOR HAS LOTS OF TORQUE AND A SIX SPEED TRANY.IF YOU RIDE IT FOR WHAT IT IS I THINK YOU WILL ENJOY IT.GOOD LUCK

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I would buy a Honda V twin. You get a cruiser with Honda dependability. If you really need a Harley to be part of the club and get the secret handshake then I would rent the same model you're going to buy. Rent it and ride it for 3-4 days and 600-800 miles. You'll find all the good and bad points in 3-4 days and will only spend a couple hundred dollars.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Among other rides, Maggie owned a V Rod and a Heritage Softail. No better than "OK" in my opinion and definitely not for long rides. YMMV.

John

PS - I'm biased in favor of my ST, but you probably figured that out.

OP
OP
Ron, ya got me. I'm embarassed to say that that's the EXACT reason I'm considering getting one. The wife says she'll ride with me if I get a Harley and she want's to get in on the social aspect. I tell her she'll actually have a better riding experience on the ST and she has ridden passenger a handful of times but she's an ol' country gal and loves the rumble. Perhaps a set of Two Brothers will passify her for the time being? :D

Here we go. I sold a 99 Valkyrie Tourer that I had set up exactly the way I wanted to. Decide to sell it to get an 05 Road King Classic. Had 20k$ into it and it didn't do squat for me, handling,braking,performance could not touch the Valk. It was a nice bike, if I could keep 3 or 4 I would of kept it. If you go from a performance orientated bike to a Harley you will be disapointed. If you would of started with a Harley and never knew anything else you would be happy. I test rode a Triumph R3 and the Harley was history. The RKC had crappy brakes,couldn't handle worth a crap and even with engine mods it was so so. Again if I could of kept 3 or 4 bikes it would of been fun to poke around with. The way I had it set up I thought it was a great looking bike and I'm really not knocking it but I don't miss it too much...

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
The softail family has twin counter balance shafts that make the motor reasonably smooth, even at idle, and twin shocks under the tranny with a bit of adjustment for two riders. The Fatboy and Heritage are some examples.
The touring frame however has two decent standard shocks hidden behind the bags. Some of the models come with air shocks for a better ride. The front forks leave something to be desired though. The Touring motor has no balance shafts, but is rubber mounted in the frame, hence it jumps around a bit at idle. But, curiously, it is a glass smooth motor at any rpm above an idle. Great for long distance rides.
Be aware that all the Hogs come with super quiet exhaust systems from the factory, so you will hear a lot of mechanical engine noise reflected back to you in the windshield. This will be disturbing at first, but you will get used to it.
Also, the fuel injection is very lean thanks to the EPA regs, which is great for mileage, but you may want to bump up the horses a bit with a freer flowing set of HD slip-on pipes, a K&N air filter, and a remap of the ECM.
The Street Glide is one of many variations of the Touring line, and I think you will be quite happy with the choice.
Jefro.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/content/pages/home.jsp?locale=en_us

STOC #
If you like the dressy cruisers, don't forget the Moto Guzzi California Vintage. It is a truly elegant motorcycle. Beautiful fit & finish, very nice hard panniers, shaft drive, and the Tonti frame will absolutely run rings around the HD's, handling-wise. And owning a Goose will bring you and your spouse together with lots of delightful folks from all over the country. There's a Gaggle of Guzzisti somewhere almost every summer weekend - picnics, campouts, RTE's, monthly breakfasts, and lots more. Very active national club with state chapters.

I ride a Stone, which is a California with less chrome, but still a Tonti. Did I mention how well it handles?:D

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I have a cousin, otherwise a wonderful, kind, thoughtful woman, who rides a HD because she likes the 'social' aspect. No interest in touring, a 400mi overnight is about her limit. She loves it.

(I also have a cousing that rides Ducatti's, but we rarely talk about him:))

The FLHX is a glorious example of HD's design. My buddy owned one for a time, I put 100 miles on it at once, it was pretty comfy. They still shake, they are still air cooled, they still have the acceleration of a garbage truck, but pretty darn comfy. It'd be my choice, if I had to have a HD.

If that's what it takes to keep Mamma happy, I'd go for it. You know what 'they' say about Mamma happy...."If Mamma's not happy, nobody's happy":)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
R...she's an ol' country gal and loves the rumble. Perhaps a set of Two Brothers will passify her for the time being? :D
Prehaps an Autocom and MP3 player? Surely H-D has licensed a CD with an hour of their trademark rumble...

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
Harleys are much better bikes then most folks ( Me included ) give them credit for, depending on the model , they can be a very comfy ride, I've ridden my brothers Fat boy and it's OK, but when compared to the Ultra Classic I've ridden it's a pig, but that Ultra was almost every bit as comfy as a Gold Wing, at idle it's engine looks like it's about to jump out of the frame, but add a little power and it smooth's right out, if I could afford one, I'd buy one,

Any of the FLH series of bikes, Ultra's , Road kings, etc are nice rides for touring, the soft tails, Heritages, Fat Boys ETC are ok and can be made much better with aftermarket suspension, same with the Dyna's, but I would say both these series of bikes ride more like Japanise bike's with poor suspension.

But the bottom line is, (to me) when it comes to cruisers, nothing looks or sounds as good as a Harley, but to me, their very much, over priced , old technology, pieces of American art work, and if I was wealthy, and I allready had one of all the rest of the bikes I love, I would love to but one. but for now, I ride a ST and a XX

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
If you starting out with no expectations you haven't set them low enough yet. ;)

Just kidding but you have the right approach. I had an Ultra for a couple years and put on about 52K. I had all kinds of little issues with it all the time. The only two things I could say about it was that it was comfortable and looked cool. That's it. Two reasons lasted two years and it was gone.

Curt

Top Bottom