Symtec Grip Switch options

As we roll into winter in the Southern Hemisphere I'm about to buy Symtec heated elements after reading much on this site. But they offer a couple of options: A metal toggle switch or a round flush mount plastic switch.

Is low/high/off enough variance in heat?

Then of course there is the variable Heat -Troller available too. Which way should I jump and why? Metal toggle, plastic flush mount toggle or heat troller.

Any advice warmly received!

STephen

Bike
03 st1300
I went with the flush mount switch-mounted it just below the left fairing pocket.Lift the tank for the install-pretty straight forward.There is enough differance between low and high-rode the other day on low at 10c and was very comfortable.

STOC #
I went with the round flush mounted switch under the l/s fairing pocket.

I happen to be replacing the fairing pocket and have decided to go with the heat troller this time.

The switch works but sometimes I wish that the low setting was a little lower at times. Also the high setting gets really hot and would like some where in between on those really cold days.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
The Heat-troller is the way to go for variable heat control and there is one available specifically for grips. I use the adjustment quite a lot up here and it is definately worth the money.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
I went with the round flush mounted switch under the l/s fairing pocket.

I happen to be replacing the fairing pocket and have decided to go with the heat troller this time.

The switch works but sometimes I wish that the low setting was a little lower at times. Also the high setting gets really hot and would like some where in between on those really cold days.

I have to agree. I switch between my summer gloves and my winter insulated gloves and never find a happy medium with either. Light gloves can get too hot and heavy gloves on low doesn't appear to be enough.

My heated gloves with variable control are by far more comfortable for any extended time. The top of your hand can get cold with heated grips, but not with the gloves.

Dean

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Heat Troller for me. I like to dial in my comfort. I mounted it in the speaker grill on the left side. Works great.

John

OP
OP
Thanks for such great responses, folks. The round rocker switch looks great as in the photo above, but I get the sense that the two positions never offer quite the right heat output.

Can anyone post a photo of the heat troller mounted please?

If anyone can show a link to a supplier of BMW grips on the internet I'd appreciate that too. Is there a particular Beamer model grip that fits the ST best?

Stephen

You know it is bad luck to be superstitious, don't you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Les!
That was a fast response.... thanks. Bob's BMW has now sold a pair of grips, which my friend will carry back to NZ for me in a few weeks.
This site and it's helpful members is such a great resource for those of us in more "removed" locations around the planet. I'll file ST-Owners.com under "G" for Good Thing!

Stephen

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
This is my Heatroller. Actually, that is the dual troller for my jacket liner.
Same location, if you choose. I never found the two choices enough, so I like the varaiable.

My symtec heat troller is close by.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just to let you all know: Went with the heat troller option and am about to mount it all. Bob BMW (thanks for the link) were first rate in prompt service and good prices. All the goodies ( including a Stebel horn) arrived back in new zealand with my mate a while ago, so now the garage is clean and I'm into it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Here we are a year and a half after my last post on this thread. Thought I should say how well everything is working. The heat troller is the best decision I made. Having used a friend's beamer equipped with a two position switch to control heated grips I know I made a good choice with the heat troller. I find I adjust it as a ride progresses and the conditions change. After many days of usage the Symtec heaters are working as they did when new. I can feel quite a heat difference between left and right bars, and if I do this again I'll take the advice I read on this site, and add a layer of heat shrink to the left bar to act as an insulator between the heat pad and the metal of the bar. But I'm super happy with the outcome and the performace of these grip heaters and controller.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I didn't remember the thread so I started from the beginning... I was trying to figure out how you were heading into Winter when we were heading into Winter as well... Until I got to your last post and check the dates! My only excuse is it is early here... :)

I'm curious about where you put the troller switch... I bought one for my wife's ST1300... and haven't decided on the mount point.

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
HI Mark

I'll let a photo or two save me a thousand words... see below. I will say that I really like this position, on the left of course so throttle hand stays put (or should that be "frozen to the bars"?!). It is unobtrusive on the bike, doesn't get knocked as you move around the bike when parked, and is easy to find while riding without removing one's eyes from the road ahead. The actual control box is right under the seat.

I hope this is a help to you and anyone else looking at where to mount a Heat Troller switch.

STepheNZ

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
HI Mark

I'll let a photo or two save me a thousand words... see below. I will say that I really like this position, on the left of course so throttle hand stays put (or should that be "frozen to the bars"?!). It is unobtrusive on the bike, doesn't get knocked as you move around the bike when parked, and is easy to find while riding without removing one's eyes from the road ahead. The actual control box is right under the seat.

I hope this is a help to you and anyone else looking at where to mount a Heat Troller switch.

STepheNZ
I like this location. The only issue I have is how do remove the left fairing without a quick disconnect plug since the heat-troller wiring is connected to the potentiometer and LED circuit board and that is mounted in the plastic? I thought about cutting the 5-wire troller cable and installing a quick disconnect plug but this is a bit unsettling to me. How did you solve the problem?

OP
OP
Doh!

I can't honestly remember what I did here, but I'll pull the plastic off someday soon and report back. I feel a bit stupid not being able to recall how I mounted it, but I know it all seemed logical enough at the time! Oh the joys of being over forty.... losing my hair, my memory and.... I can't recall the other things.

Stay tuned for an update soonish.

Top Bottom