Heated Grips - Install

Bike
2002 Gold Wing
STOC #
I would apprecatiate some advice on the installation of heated grips. I have very little skill or experience in working on my bike. Is this a job that a newbe should even attempt. I believe that my dealership will do the install for approximately $100 plus the grips. Also, has anyone documented the process to take the plastic off of our bikes to do general maintenance. Thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

NewsMag

R.I.P. - 2022/08/23
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Grips can be easy

With the right tools, space, parts, and some experience - anybody could do heated grips. Here are some of the major operations and factors to consider - then you can judge if you want to tackle the task.

Things to think about: Will you re-use the Honda grips or get new? If new, what kind and color? Will the new grips need holes cut in the ends (for the bar-end weights)? Where will you mount the switch? Do you want a thermostat (i.e. heat-troller)? If so, where will you mount the thermostat? What source of power will you use? Is the power source switched off when the key is off? Do you want a separate fuse for the grips?

1) Removal of the Stock grips - you can re-use them, but they are kinda cheap and hard. Re-use requires compressed air to get them off. If you don't care to re-use, you can cut them off.

2) Clean with alcohol, then install the grip heaters. Route the wires down the bars and to the switch and power source. Use small zip ties to anchor.

3) Switch installation - I drilled the plastic below the LH fairing pocket. Photo attached shows the switch with a waterproof cover from Home Depot just below the cell phone. I also installed electrical connectors inline with the switch so I can remove the left side plastic without having to disconnect at the switch. If you want a thermostat, that will have to be wired inline and mounted somewhere.

4) Power - I used a separate circuit in an auxiliary power block in the tail section. You can also use power from the Honda quartet harness connector - tap into the lead, buy the quartet harness, or have a custom connector made.

5) Install grips - Lots of people use grip glue, or epoxy. I found that hair spray (which is actually a mild, water-soluble glue) works like a charm. Easy to clean up and you can't use too much.

6) Button up the plastic bits and bobs, switch on the heat, and GO RIDE!

NewsMag

R.I.P. - 2022/08/23
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I had 2 ST1100s to practice on - a 93 nonABS and a 95 ABS. When I got the ST13, I knew exactly what I wanted to add and where. When my 95 died in Banff, Alberta, some fellow STers looked under the plastic and said it looked like an electrician on LSD had rewired it. It wasn't that bad, but the electrical add-ons were done over time. With the ST13, I bought it, stripped it down, and added everything seamlessly at one time.

Bike
FJR1300
STOC #
Steve,

Doesn't your electronic goodies on the dash shelf get soaked in a rain storm? Do you have to cover/remove them in rain?

NewsMag

R.I.P. - 2022/08/23
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Rain Rain Go Away

Living in the desert intermountain West has some advantages, lack of rain being a blessing for riding and a curse for watering the lawn.

The toys are not waterproof, as you noted. Most desert rain can be ignored, but for extended wetness I carry the medium size Saran(tm) bowl toppers - they resemble small shower caps. They effectively protect the XM and radar detector. I just move the phone inside of the fairing pocket.

I guess rain is the price you Easterners pay for all those green trees!

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Heated Grip install

I did the SYmtec heaters Sunday. Took me about 4 hours including a trip for a couple of different wiring accessories. I had foam over the stock grips. Pulled the foam off, Removed the bar end weights and ran a q-tip with alcohol up under the grip to dissolve the Honda grip glue. Old grips slid right off.

Cleaned both grip areas and then wrapped the right bar with electrical tape as an insulator. applied the heaters and then used the Honda Grip Glue again to slide on the grips.

I had help here from the group last week on tupperware removal. That really helped. Dropped the right side plastic. Uncovered the Quartet plug and found a switched 12 volt (pink just above the large red always on coming into the plug.) Tapped it for the inline fuse holder and then wired the grips to the small round switch included with the kit. Had to do a little modification to get the length I needed to put the switch on the right faring in the black area just below the door for the pocket.

Low is pretty hot, hi is scary right now. Left and right are the same temp, symtech really did a good job with the element matching.

Rate this as a 3 on the 1-10 scale of mods. Foam grips are a 1, adding an MC cruise to me would be a 10. A good T handle allen wrench, phillips screwdriver and a set of hemostats to pull the plastic clips with make it really easy to get the plastic off. posi connectors and a posi tap make the wiring even simpler. $3.00 voltmeter from harbour freight (stays with the bike now) A $1.50 for an inline fuse holder and a few more zip ties than come with the kit are all you need.

One change I would consider, I am going to find a 3 position switch with indicators for which side is on. The only hint you get right now is when your hands get tosty. Good Luck

Chris

therider

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
I have symtecs from PO. recently I am feeling no heat, so I guess either it failed or it blew a fuse. Any idea where to check ?

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Easiest is to check the fuse first, if that's ok go on from there. It would seem to be unlikely that both heating elements would go bad at the same time so I would think fuse, then source (could a wire connector or a wire come loose?) and don't forget to also check your ground wire connection.

I have the Dual-Star heated grips controlled by a Heat Troller. Heat Troller is mounted on the left fairing right below the pocket door. Looks like a factory install. Includes a LED indicator light so you know when they are powered.

I got power and ground from the Honda accessory harness that plugs into the Quartet harness connector, same place Hondaline heated grips get their power and ground. Powered when ignition is on so I don't have to worry about killing the battery if I accidently leave them on when parked. I use BMW grips secured with hairspray. The BMW grips can be easily removed without damage if necessary with compressed air.

The Heat Troller is really the finnishing touch with the aftermarket grip heaters as the infinite control is golden as opposed to only a high/low/off switch.

Bike
08 ST1300A
i installed the honda heated grips , and the acc harness, all the honda instructions were good , just need to keep track of where each fastener came from. There are a few different types and sizes , the hard part was cutting the square hole for the control in the plastic.

ezwryder

Farklemeister
Bike
05 ST-1300
STOC #
I'm planning to install the Honda elements in the next week or two. The bike came with aftermarket grips that are pretty thick. I'm wondering if they are too thick to allow the heat to transmit? Any thoughts on what grips work best? I am not in love with these grips, so if they had to go, I would not mind.

ezwryder

Farklemeister
Bike
05 ST-1300
STOC #
Got the package today and realized that the heating elements are embedded in a set of stock Honda grips, so I am happy about that.

Top Bottom