PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Other Held Gloves

Ken
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Bought a pair of Held Steves a couple years ago. Absolutely love 'em. But they are starting to show some signs of age. And I thought I'd try something a bit more substantial.

Went with the Alpinestars GP Plus gloves. Great protection and amazing build quality. But they didn't fit me just right and I'm spoiled by the kangaroo palms of the Steves -- you can just feel everything on the front end of the bike.

So I'm going to stick with Helds. I'm interested to hear what other Held models you folks are using and how you like them. I may just end up with another pair of Steves, but I'm inclined to make my current pair last a bit longer and add another pair of Helds with a bit more to them, like Akira's or maybe Sprints.

Input / feedback appreciated! :)

sherob
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Love my Phantoms! :)

illzoni
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Since getting my Helds, I couldn't live without the squeegee on the left index finger. Do other models sport this feature?

Jon

sherob
06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Since getting my Helds, I couldn't live without the squeegee on the left index finger. Do other models sport this feature?

Jon

I have a pair of Tourmaster's that have the squeegee :)

samal
06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I have held ninja - left one showing the scuffs from my get off and one line of double stiching is gone - so shopping for another pair now.

btw - do not ever consider gloves if they have no double stiching at least!

ToroGuy
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
The Held Profi is same as the Steve with just a little more armor. I like them so much, when Newenough reduced the price I bought a second pair that I'll keep in the closet until the originals wear out...and they got the squeegee...it's great!!

http://newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/held/profi_motorcycle_gloves.html

Coop
06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I wear Held Akira's. Love'em!

AZST
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Got a pair of Held Panthers....at first I wasn't sure.....but 6 months later, I love em.

Early on, I kept scratching my nose with the squeegee thing...only problem was I was leaving black marks on my nose and no one at work would tell me...

I hate those people. :cool:

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

Rob Hephner
06-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I have both the Akira's and the Phantoms...love them both!

pointpergame
06-11-2007, 02:56 AM
You ask a good question. This isn't an answer, but, I love my "Steves" and really dislike the Ninja's. The hard "knuckles" bite painfully into my knuckles when I curl up my hand. I can't imagine a better glove than the Steves around town.

I have often wondered, though, if the Steves would do the job at 80 or 90 mph on the freeway. I fell down once at 55 with leather garden gloves (the day before I became a safety fanatic) and the road surface sanded all the way through a couple fingernails and took every knuckle down to the ugly white structure underneath. THAT was a miserable evening in the emergency ward!

The Profi's look like the ticket. ARE there any competitors for the kangaroo palms?

Thanks for the NE pointer.
Russ

Ken
06-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Thank you all for the comments and feedback.

My Steve's have held up really well and the thing I like the most about them is the comfort and being able to feel everything on the front end of the bike with those kangaroo palms. I've tried other brands and none have that feel. The current models are Phantom (http://www.heldusa.com/phantom.htm) (race), Steve (http://www.heldusa.com/steve.htm) (sport touring), Akira (http://www.heldusa.com/akira.htm) (race), Ninja (http://www.heldusa.com/ninja.htm) (sport), Panther (http://www.heldusa.com/panther.htm) (sport), Fresh (http://www.heldusa.com/fresh.htm) (summer), Raindrop (http://www.heldusa.com/raindrop.htm) (summer rain), and Ice Breaker (http://www.heldusa.com/icebreaker.htm) (winter).

The Galaxy was replaced by the Akira and that's the model I have my eye on, more protection than the Steves but still having the kangaroo on the palms.

The Phantoms are probably amazing, but I'm not sure I need that much glove and the price tag is pretty steep too. And from what I've seen of other race gloves, you give up a lot of comfort with the added protection. Sherob and Rob Hephner - is my assumption correct about the Phantoms? How comfortable are the Phantoms compared to the Steves?

ToroGuy - the price tag on those Profi's is nice, but it seems they have been discontinued and if I had to guess it was because they are so close it looks and features to the Steves. What is the additional protection you mention?

Neither the Ninja or the Panther have kangaroo palms and I'm really fond of this feature.

So, right now I'm partial to the Akira model. Coop, tell me more! Anyother Akira users out there?

[EDIT] Does anyone know the model name that the Phantoms replaced? I've been told it was the Kryptons. But someone else says it was the Galaxy. Wondering which it was and what changes were made when they became the Phantoms.

johnSTellen
06-11-2007, 06:51 AM
I have the Fresh for the summer. They are nice and cool, but lack the protection of other models. I hope I never regret wearing them.

Bones
06-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I tried the Profis and didn't like them as much as the Steves. I still have an older pair of Panthers which are really good but not as good as the Steves. Of the three Helds I've worn, #1 goes to Steves.

jasonJonas
06-11-2007, 08:40 AM
i bought my helds so long ago that i can't remember the model names. both pair are waterproof. one is summer-weight, but they're not the storms. the other is a winter-weight glove. both have the rubber squeegee thingy and have never let me down. i'll buy helds again after i wear these out. just not sure when that will be.

sherob
06-11-2007, 09:15 AM
The Phantoms are very comfortable... I've never tried the Steves, but I can't imagine a more comfortable glove :confused: I might have to get a pair of Steves :rolleyes:

My only complaint about these are the velcro wrist straps are kind of a pain... but once I have them on...ooooooo, all is forgiven :)

Rob Hephner
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I too have never worn the Steve's, but I love the feel of the Phantoms, no complaint at all from me.

pretbek
06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gloves and until now I thought I was satisfied with them. :rolleyes:

They are comfortable and all, but how do they compare in crash protection to for example the Held Steve? Anyone knows, or dares to guess?

If enough of you guys think I'm rolling the dice wearing these in stead of gloves like Held, I will switch.
I prefer not to study the inside structure of my hands after going down, you know... :shock:

Ken
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
pretbek - A few years ago, before I discovered the knowledgebase that is st-owners.com, I purchased a pair of JR CBR gloves (shown here (http://www.newenough.com/image/path/6262/small/Default.jpg?1176273303)). There is just no comparison between these JR's and the Helds. In a crash situation I'm guessing that there is as much difference between the JR's and wearing nothing as there is between the JR's and Helds. Just one man's .02.

WeeSTer
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I tried the Profis and didn't like them as much as the Steves. I still have an older pair of Panthers which are really good but not as good as the Steves. Of the three Helds I've worn, #1 goes to Steves.

Just ordered a pair of Steves from Newenough so hopefully I will feel the same way.

ToroGuy
06-11-2007, 09:35 PM
[quote=Ken;246998]
ToroGuy - the price tag on those Profi's is nice, but it seems they have been discontinued and if I had to guess it was because they are so close it looks and features to the Steves. What is the additional protection you mention?

Steve
http://newenough.com/image/path/6272/small/Default.jpg?1176273425 (http://newenough.com/image/path/6272/Default.jpg)

Profi
http://newenough.com/image/path/7595/small/Default.jpg?1176273412 (http://newenough.com/image/path/7595/Default.jpg)

Look very close and you'll see a little more substantial armor on the back of the fingers and hand. Also, rivets extend a little farther over the palm on the Profi.

You will not be disappointed with either.

Rob Hephner
06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gloves and until now I thought I was satisfied with them. :rolleyes:

They are comfortable and all, but how do they compare in crash protection to for example the Held Steve? Anyone knows, or dares to guess?

If enough of you guys think I'm rolling the dice wearing these in stead of gloves like Held, I will switch.
I prefer not to study the inside structure of my hands after going down, you know... :shock:

Funny you mention those gloves, I just had a friend go down on the track with them at about 60. They wore through the palm and into a lot of his hand. He will be getting Helds the next time around.

pointpergame
06-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Whoops...something was nagging at me about your question.

8 months ago I stopped into the amazing, HELIMOT store in San Jose. I got a 20 Kilowatt tour of the glove factory from Helmut while I was buying a pair of Daytona boots. This is one fascinating, high energy guy. I am convinced that he deeply understands what is a great glove.
My racer friends tell me his race leathers are fantastic.

Anyway, he trotted out a pair his "h-20's" from the colorful "waiting to be shipped" rack. They resemble the Steves, but they are a reaction to them, also. Kangaroo palms, with a pad instead of rivets. The backs are ... What? ... Fatter, I'd say. More padded. The feel inside was just fantastic. His idea of removing the inside seams from your sensibility was much appreciated. I watched a woman sew a finger for a while and I flashed on the fact that not so many people are doing this kind of work any more.
I left drooling and begging him not to show me anything else. After buying a pair of Daytona's, the price tag on these beautiful gloves made my credit card spin in my pocket.

h-20's
www.helimot.com

See what you think. Visit him if you possibly can; he has a thoughtful and interesting gallery of other gloves.

sherob
06-12-2007, 08:38 AM
I tried on a pair(Helimot) at WeSTOC last year... Jim was nice enough to pass them around for us to drool over. I have to admit, they were very nice. :)

pretbek
06-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Funny you mention those gloves, I just had a friend go down on the track with them at about 60. They wore through the palm and into a lot of his hand. He will be getting Helds the next time around.

Yup, that does it.
Your remark and Ken's closed the case, I'm ordering a pair of Held gloves today. :yes:

Ken
06-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I tried on a pair(Helimot) at WeSTOC last year... Jim was nice enough to pass them around for us to drool over. I have to admit, they were very nice. :)
Understand it was a brief encounter with Helimot, but any first impression as far comparison between Held and Helimot?

sherob
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Understand it was a brief encounter with Helimot, but any first impression as far comparison between Held and Helimot?

Jim went in and had his hands measured... so they were exact fit for him. That being said... the craftmanship was top notch, they felt better than my Helds... and they weren't even cut exact for me :( IIRC, he had the F108's :confused:

Tor
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Held Steve's for summer and Held Narvik (predecessor to the Ice Breakers) for winter. Have tried others for summer riding, but always go back to the Steve's.

Ken
06-22-2007, 06:28 AM
So pretbek and newbornst, did you receive your new Held gloves? If so, how are you liking them?

I'm going to order a pair of the Profis -- just can't turn down such a great price on a fantastic glove.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Tor
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Those of you using Held Steve's or other Held's with yellow palm,,,,,,,they get awfully black after a while.......the left in particular. Any way to get some of that stuff cleaned off?

pretbek
06-22-2007, 10:59 AM
So pretbek and newbornst, did you receive your new Held gloves? If so, how are you liking them?

I'm going to order a pair of the Profis -- just can't turn down such a great price on a fantastic glove.

Yup, got my Held Steve gloves 2 days ago (they were out of stock for a short while at New Enough) and rode to work (45 miles each way) with them yesterday.
They are very soft and very comfortable, no seams can be felt at any of the pressure points (unlike my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gloves). Even though they are not mesh and do have a gauntlet (sleeve), they seemed at least as cool and comfortable as my (black) JR mesh gloves on the sunny 85 degree ride.

They really emphasized the "you get what you pay for" principle when comparing the different gloves. They cost 2.5x as much as my JR's, but anecdotal evidence indicates increased protection of about that much (if 2.5 x hardly = good), while tactile evidence shows increased comfort and "feeling of luxury" by the same factor. :yes:

Ken
06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Luxury and protection don't seem like they belong in the same sentence for motorcycle gloves, but that about sums up the Steves.

sherob
06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
It's amazing how a little kangaroo, deer, stingray, and other materials can make your hands feel soooooo good :)

WeeSTer
06-23-2007, 08:25 AM

Got the Steves a couple of days ago and I am very impressed so far. They appear to be very well made and are comfortable but still need to put them to the LD test.

CDNolddude
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Got the Steves a couple of days ago and I am very impressed so far. They appear to be very well made and are comfortable but still need to put them to the LD test.

Where did you get the Steves??? (in ontario??) I've seen them at 1 BMW dealer and I think they wanted $219 CDN! I did try them on and yes they appear to be very good /comfortable gloves...

Ken
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Mine are from newenough.com $140 (http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_motorcycle_gloves.html)

WeeSTer
06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Where did you get the Steves??? (in ontario??) I've seen them at 1 BMW dealer and I think they wanted $219 CDN! I did try them on and yes they appear to be very good /comfortable gloves...

Got em from Newenough for about $190 CDN shipped including fees and all taxes. Make sure you use USPS for shipping as their brokerage fee is only $8 You will get gouged if you use Fedex or UPS. The Steves are pricey but definately worth it IMO.

CDNolddude
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Got em from Newenough for about $190 CDN shipped including fees and all taxes. Make sure you use USPS for shipping as their brokerage fee is only $8 You will get gouged if you use Fedex or UPS. The Steves are pricey but definately worth it IMO.

Thanks....
I've ordered stuff from there before.. pretty good place..

Ken
06-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Those of you using Held Steve's or other Held's with yellow palm,,,,,,,they get awfully black after a while.......the left in particular. Any way to get some of that stuff cleaned off?
Tor, the recommendation I had from Held was lukewarm water and a mild dish soap. Submerge the gloves in water, soak them good, and turn them inside out. Apply a dab of soap to your hands and wash your hands with the soap. Don't rinse them off though -- slip your hands in the gloves and work them around as if you are washing yoru hands with gloves on. Turn the gloves back out and repeat the process. Rinse very thoroughly. Allow to dry naturally - no sun, dryer, etc. - it may take a few days for them to dry completely.

Ken
06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
So, ToroGuy, GRN, and others who recommended the Profis, thank you. I ordered a pair from newenough last week - total price was $97 including shipping. They arrived yesterday. What a treat it is to get a package from newenough, and the zip seal bag that the Helds come in are no exception!

These gloves surprised me! There is substanitally more protection than I expected. Comparing the pictures of the Profis and the Steves, they appeared to be very similar. I love my Steves but wanted something with a bit more 'skin'. The Profis are very substantial in that department and the gauntlet is quite a bit better than the Steves! So I took the virgin Profis for a ride last night. Although they are not broken in, I found them to be extremely comfortable. And the kangaroo palms give me that great front end feel that I love with these Held gloves.

So, better protection with similar comfort and a great price! Perfect!

ToroGuy
06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
So, better protection with similar comfort and a great price! Perfect!

Glad you're happy with the Profi's Ken...they'll get better with the miles. :)