Help an ST/Farkle Newbie

I'm planning on riding, daily, year round on my ST1300ABS (excepting when it is actively snowing or the roads haven't been cleared and salted) for the first time since I've lived in PA.

In prior years I've ridden year round it either didn't get that cold (North Carolina) or I didn't ride every day over long distances (Pennsylvania, thus far). As I've decided to finally do it, I figure I need to buy a few extra things to make my daily ride comfortable and safe. I also need to put a few other farkles (unrelated to winter gear) on, so hopefully someone can help a newb with that, as well.

I already have good boots, gloves, helmet, thermals undies, and an aerostich roadcrafter.

I don't have:

(1) Electric gear & thermostat for same;
(2) Heated handgrips;
(3) a trickle charger port; and
(4) a really loud aftermarket horn.

I think that's probably the universe of farkles I want to add. I know NOTHING about electric stuff. I have a mental block. I can do engines, transmissions, suspension, all the other stuff, but when it comes to wires, I'm a complete idiot. Accordingly, I'm going to have the dealership install them (or, perhaps, a buddy who was an electrician on a nuke sub).

My specific concerns:

First, it is my understanding that the 2007 ST1300ABS has an alternator that puts out 660 Watts. Does anyone know how much of that is being drawn just by the lights, horn, ABS, turn signals, or the rest? Basically, I'm trying to figure out the baseline maximum load that is being drawn off the alternator, stock.

Second, is there anything else I need to worry about in terms of electrical load? Amperage? Anything like that that I need to figure when I'm putting together my gear list? Will I be drawing more amps because I'm drawing more Watts? Do I need to replace fuses or wiring?

Third, to calculate the load of my farkles, I just add Watts? I think a Stebel horn is about 72 Watts, electric vest is about 44 Watts, pants about 44, handgrips are about 36 Watts (12 volts times 3 amps (this is how they're listed on the website). That adds up to a total potential extra draw of 196 Watts. I know the horn isn't going to be used constantly, so my concern there is more about blowing fuses and wires rather than draining the battery.
So, let's figure on a constant extra load of everything but the horn -- 124 Watts. Is that too much for the stock alternator without draining the battery or frying fuses and wires?

Fourth, I'm going to want the thermostat wired directly to the battery, and then I attach the vest/pants to that, right?

Fifth, do I need a relay for anything (everything) as I have a bunch of stuff I'm going to wire to the battery (the thermostat, the charger port, the heated handgrips)?

Last, I have a 12 volt trickle charger that I used on my old BMW F650GS Dakar. If I have a port put on my ST1300, can I use the same trickle charger or do I need to buy a new one specifically for the ST?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll have more silly questions, so I apologize. I've just never done this before and I don't want to mess it up, waste money, or trust the dealership to get it right without me being absolutely clear up front about what I want done.

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
It was my understanding that the ST is made to put out more power than it needs, in order to power aftermarket items.

I'm sory I do not know specifics.

And I need to get that horn farkle too!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
First, it is my understanding that the 2007 ST1300ABS has an alternator that puts out 660 Watts. Does anyone know how much of that is being drawn just by the lights, horn, ABS, turn signals, or the rest?
I have a spreadsheet here that makes a very conservative estimate of how much power is available for farkles. The reality is that everything listed there won't be drawing full current all the time. Similarly, some things like the starter or the ABS system will draw a big load of current from the battery for a short time and the charging system will eventually catch up. You should also know that the alternator doesn't always put out 660W; available current will depend on engine speed.

Second, is there anything else I need to worry about in terms of electrical load?
Lots. The biggest things to concern yourself with are making sure you don't try and draw too much current through existing wiring, that you size new wires to handle the expected load and that you install fuses small enough to protect your new wiring from melting if something shorts out. At the link above, there's a link to an article at BoatUS about circuit protection.

And yes, the number of amps you draw is a function of watts and voltage. P=IE, where P is power in Watts, I is current in Amps and E is voltage in Volts. So 12W at 12V is 1A.

Third, to calculate the load of my farkles, I just add Watts?
I usually convert everything to Amps and add those, because that's the unit used to rate wiring and fuses.

...can I use the same trickle charger or do I need to buy a new one specifically for the ST?
Depends on the charger. If it's only a trickle charger, I'd upgrade to a Deltran Battery Tender, which is designed to properly charge your battery and keep it healthy.

--Mark

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Fifth, do I need a relay for anything (everything) as I have a bunch of stuff I'm going to wire to the battery (the thermostat, the charger port, the heated handgrips)?
I cannot speak to the heated gear, etc., but people who install the Stebel horn do use a relay that is controlled by the existing horn button. From what I've read in this forum, you probably should use 12 gauge wire from the battery to the relay to the horn to provide enough current (amps) to get the most from the horn. Also, don't forget to put the proper size of fuse in the line from the battery to the relay.

Hope this helps. There are lots of great threads in this forum under the farkles section. They deal with installation and just about every aspect of any farkle you might want to add.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
While you're playing with wires, you might consider additional lighting as well.

A non-electric farkle you might want to add is a set of bygdawg's rear tipover bars. Here's the link to more info on those:
LINK

While bygdawg calls them "tip-over" bars, I can vouch for the effectiveness of these bars in a crash. I'm quite convinced that these bars on my previous ST saved me a broken leg by keeping the bike off me in my go-down.

Have fun with your new ride!

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
You're in good hands here. I'll just post in case you have questions.

Curt

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Powerlet makes a good power port for your Battery Tender; it mounts on the lower right side. Installation is a no-brainer. Also good if you need (heaven forbid) to plug in a compressor on the roadside.

Top Bottom