Best Rain Gear

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
What are the opinons on the best rain gear. I have a First Gear rain suit, seperate top and bottoms and would sort of like something like that. I would like something that is light weight and folds or packs into a compact sized. Some gear I have seen is sort of bulky when packed.

And I'd like it to be breathable. I guess I sort of like the two piece First Gear outfit but wondered if there was a better choice, or what your opinions might be.

Thanks.

Jim

Mac

Tin Tush #1
STOC #
I have trogg toggs. they are a very nice set of rain geat. Light and pack down compactly. They're made of a material thats like paper, but is much tougher and doesn't flutter too much in the wind. They breathe well and come in several colors. The style I got was for fishermen and the pants are bib overalls.

It must be those big heavy Texas rain drops that did in the Toggs. I'm on my 2nd set...1st set mildewed 'cause I forgot to dry them. They work just as well as my $200 set of orange and black rain gear and if you forget to dry them...they are cheap enough to not cry over when you throw them out. Your mileage may vary!!

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade from the cheap, hot, hard-to-put-on rain jacket and pants I've used for years to something better. After a lot of looking and research , I bought a Tour Master Elite jacket and pants. Both the jacket and pants look well made. The fabric is nice. The jacket is highly visible and vented, and the pants are comfortable and not difficult to get over my size 12 boots. I've not yet worn this outfit in the rain.

I think you'll find this article to be of interest even though it's somewhat out-of-date: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/rainsuit_comparison/

Gary

'04 ST1300A

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I've had a First Gear suit for the last eight years or so and it's done me very well.

Except today. When it rained. And I didn't stop to put it on because I was only five miles from home. And I got wet.

--Mark

Helly Hansen makes great suits too. Some are too heavy to use on a bike, but will always keep you dry. I used it for years in Alaska while fishing and hunting and it was always part of a survival kit. A good pair of Lacrosse rubber boots and you're all set!!!

Bike
Scarlett
STOC #
I wear an ANSI parka for light to moderate wet weather fun. If its heavy rains, I wear my Nelson Rigg AX-1 2pc suit over my aerostich. (Over leathers if its a rainy trackday)

For boots, I wear SIDI Vertebra Tepors. Not sure if they still make the Vertebra model, but I got these in 2002 and have been OK so far. FOr the first 4 yrs, they kept my feet completely dry in heavy downpour. Just last year, it has started to let a little bit of water seep in around the sole. Not sure where it's coming from, otherwise I'd slap some silicone on it.

Attachments

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have both a Frogg Toggs suit and a heavier, designed for Motorcycle use, rainsuit. I think it's a First Gear, but I don't have it handy and I'm not positive. They each have advantages and disadvantages.

The Frogg packs a bit smaller, but not by as much as I had hoped. On the plus side it's lighter, and it breathes, so in hot weather you don't end up soaking wet from the inside On the negative, the collar doesn't seal as snugly, so in a long ride in heavy rain, water will find it's way in. The zippers on the pants don't go very high up the leg, so they're harder to get on and off over boots, and the leg zippers have no flaps over them, so they leak.

The motorcycle rainsuit keeps me dryer, period. The collar can be snugged down to keep water out, nothing leaks, the pants go on and off more easily. And my jacket is yellow, but the pants are black so they don't show all the road dirt. Frogg's come in one color top and bottom, so if you opt for a bright color for visibiliy the bottoms of the pants are filthy in no time.

On the downside, though, the plastic rainsuit gets HOT when you're riding in warm weather. It's vented, but behiind an ST's fairing the vents don't help much. On a hot day you can end up getting wet just from the sweat.

I keep the Frogg in one saddle bag all the time, in case I get caught. But if I know I'm going to be riding in the rain, or I'm taking a long trip, I'll take the plastic suit. It keeps me dryer.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
I'm really surprised that Fred (aka: finewest) hasn't hopped all over this thread, as I have it on good authority that the best rain suit is a birthday suit. :D :D :D :D

Disclaimer: I live in SoCal so even though I've ridden with Fred, I've never ridden in the rain with Fred.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
First Gear Killiminjaro jacket and ride pants for the open road. I do a bit of dual sport riding and Moose Racing puts out a "Monarch Pass" jacket and expedition pants. They are watertight, and breatheable too. I been using them on the ST trips in the summer.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'm really surprised that Fred (aka: finewest) hasn't hopped all over this thread, as I have it on good authority that the best rain suit is a birthday suit. :D :D :D :D
After my experience on the cruiser getting my kneecaps zinged with raindrops at 70+, I don't even want to think about anyplace more --uhhh-- tender than that. :eek:

--Mark

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Tourmaster Elite (two piece) works for us and packs up well. We carry both sets with us at all times just in case as anything can happen in the NE. The two piece sets are easier to put on at the side of the road and in most cases all you need are the jackets unless it is a downpour.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I like Cabelas guidewear

I have been in numerous storms with it and you will always remain dry. The bib tops are the way to go as well.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
At Americade a friend of mine got a new type of Frogg Toggs to replace his leaky HD rain gear. Toggs has some new products, higher level than the "paper" ones we've all seen around for years. The new products are made of real fabrics and look to be of high quality, and of course a higher price. FYI

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I was thinking about getting this for foul weather. I am assuming that you would wear it over your protective gear. I guess it would be sized to be worn over a pair of ridding pants and jacket. Has anyone tried these before and what was your experience.

MotorcycleCloseouts.com and several other sources have it all for about the same price.
FirstGear Thermo 1-Piece Waterproof Suit
Retail: $160.00
Sale: $143.96
Savings: $16.04

Thanks for any suggestions
Alicia from the Left Coast

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I've got a Fieldsheer two-piece set that I picked up from www.motorcyclecloseouts.com. Price was decent and they keep me dry. They don't breath as well as my mesh jacket and pants, but they breath infinitely better than my waterproof armor pants and the plastic rain liner for my mesh jacket...

Top Bottom