Honda Heated Grip needs to slide on a bit farther for Throttlemeister

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Honda Heated Grip needs to slide on a bit farther for Throttlemeister -- SOLVED!!

I took off the vista cruise, that was on the bike when I got it, in preparation for putting on the Throttlemeister. A 3/16" gap was left at the inner end of the plastic throttle sleeve for the VC. I'd like to slide the grip on the rest of the way as it will enable the outer end, the indented part, of the rubber grip to sit flush with the end of the plastic sleeve. This is what the Throttlemeister wants so it's friction ring will press against the sleeve.

How can I loosen this grip up enough to slide it a bit? I gingerly tried sliding some things between grip and sleeve hoping to be able to lube it a bit but I couldn't get too far and was afraid of damaging the heater.

I'm open for suggestions. :) TIA

[see new post 07-04-07 for solution]

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phartz

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Air compressor?
Tried that too but these things seem stuck pretty good. When trying to slide something in I could get about half an inch and then it seemed like I was hitting a wall. Wasn't sure if I was up against a heating element or what. :confused: I don't really know the internals of these heated grips. Thanks.

Throttlemeister make a different kit for Heated Grips. i think it includes an adapter to fill the space you have. If you contact them, they can help you.

OP
OP
Phartz

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have the TM kit for heated grips and it would be exactly right if that grip hadn't originally been left with a gap for the Vista Cruise. It might work any way by pressing into that recess in the grip but my anal self wants to get it flush for contact with the throttle sleeve too.

OP
OP
Phartz

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I finally had time to get down and futz with this thing, as well as having my little brain work on it in the background for a while. The answer for moving the grip was heat. I used a hairdryer to heat up the grip real good. It never got slippery-slidey loose or anything but by working it in the direction it need to go I got it to move the little bit it needed to.

I initially tried just making do with the throttlemeister and the way the grip was but I couldn't get solid enough contact to ever get the adjustment right so that grip had to move. Yea!!! :D

All is well in throttlemeister land. :)

Top Bottom