Harley Road Glide

STOC #
Went to the local Harley demo ride today. I test rode the Road Glide. Similar to Road King with ugly fairing (fixed to the frame not front streering column). First time ever on an HD. I had three bikes in my life. Two Honda's and one BMW. The HD is totally different. It's a physical experience as if you are bonding with the bike. Before you get on, it's eye candy (not the Road Glide but the others). Then at startup it's ear candy. Just love the noise. At idle, it vibrates incredibly. The BMW boxer is Honda smooth compared to the HD. As soon as you move, the vibrations go. Everything was boiling hot. Don't know how people can ride this in shorts. I think you need asbestos clothing. Gear shifter is clunky but works. Brake and clutch levers are very physical. Need to pull. I suppose it can be adjusted. Rear brake was decent and easy to apply. I suppose one can get used to the floor boards. I think I understand why people are so emotional about the HD. It requires a special physical commitment to ride one. The bike is heavy but the low C of G makes the weight disappear. Not impressed but enlightened. I could see myself taking a Sunday ride with my wife in the back. Not sure I am ready though and how long I would enjoy it if I had one.

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
You've summed up my Harley experience to a T. I've spent a bunch of miles on a Road King and a Softail. Enjoyable? Yes. Intoxicating? No. Still, I can see why so many are so enamored.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
You've summed up my Harley experience to a T. I've spent a bunch of miles on a Road King and a Softail. Enjoyable? Yes. Intoxicating? No. Still, I can see why so many are so enamored.
As I write, I'm hearing at a distance the familiar sound of thousands of HDs making their way from the Sun and Surf Run at nearby Ocean Shores, a meet held the last weekend in July each year. Though I've spent but a few miles on Harleys, I can here qualify your comment, but with respect only to the sound.

The old "potato-potato" is, for me, enjoyable in the coming -- but intoxicating in the going! :)

Styles

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
As I write, I'm hearing at a distance the familiar sound of thousands of HDs making their way from the Sun and Surf Run at nearby Ocean Shores, a meet held the last weekend in July each year. Though I've spent but a few miles on Harleys, I can here qualify your comment, but with respect only to the sound.

The old "potato-potato" is, for me, enjoyable in the coming -- but intoxicating in the going! :)

Styles

Well put.

Styles....you are on my list of people I want to meet at WeSTOC..... :)

<D>

Bike
2007 ST1300
The HD Road Glide would be the only touring HD that I would consider. It is "Honda smooth" compared to my Sportster. The vibrations on it doesn't go away until you turn the key off.

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
They obviously have their appeal. I would have one just for a bit of contrast. However if it came to one or the other, you all know which one would win!!

Gentlemen:

I am currently riding a Road King with dreams of an ST13. I can tell you that the first time I rode this beast, I was in awe and shock. As I sat at the stop sign, I felt like I was astride a living breathing DRAGON. Twist the throttle and it ROARED to life asking to take flight, with authority! I ride now with the removable windscreen off most of the time because of the heat and since my wife rides her own bike, I have removed the back rest most of the time. I still love to ride the Dragon, but I am dreaming of something alot quieter and sleeker, more refined and discreet. I will probably keep my Harley, but I am ready for something with a little more performance and a lot more touring rideability...

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Preable/disclaimer/CYA:
Other than observing HD's and hearing/reading HD rider experiences, my only personal HD experience was a 5 mile ride on a Sportster many years ago. I think I "get" the HD phenomenon, though I don't adhere to it.

Just as I was reading Dragonrider51's post, something occured to me:

Both HD riders and Sport Touring riders are passionate about their experience. There is an emotional attachment because this experience is so visceral. It is about a stimulating combination of sensory inputs. The difference that popped into my mind however is that on the vibrating and (often intentional) noisy HD, you experience the bike, while on the boring-smooth and annoyingly quiet but very sharp handling Honda/BMW/Whatever you experience the road/twisties.
Both are very thrilling feelings, but are very different. The fact that in each case the rider feels and lives very enjoyable stimuli is not.
Ride what you love. There ain't no tarmac in heaven.

Last edited:
Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
To me the most contrary thing is how many guys complain about different aspect of HD yet won't consider riding a different bike. I met 4 guys travelling from Utah and we of course talked about the road and our bikes. the one guy has a brand new UG classic with more chrome add ons than I could count. The bike was a 108 screamming eagle so it even has a little more HP than most. All he could talk about was how much he missed his Honda. The guys he was traveling with all agreed with his HD assessment but said they won't ride with the guy if he takes the Honda on the next trip. They all commented favourably on My ST and some comments showed some envy at the trouble free and damn fast ride I own they just won't be the guys to go against the grain. I too have a bit of HD envy cause that chrome and sound are very pretty.

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I have quite a few miles on Harley Ultra's, I can see why they are liked by some... Seems more to be answering the question, what do you ride? When I say Honda ST1100, I get....oh... When they say Harley Ultra... they get WOW! That's the only reason I can figure out why they ride them. Talk about heat issues..... vibration..... heavy....... hard to clean..... expensive maintanence..... not as reliable...... noisy..... (I kinda like the noise though)... expensive to purchase....... Just not my cup of tea, or can of beer as it may be..... Besides, I don't have any tattoo's.....:wink:

I am not knocking them, just for me it's not what I want to ride. They are very beautiful machines to look at, that's for sure!

I went on a breastfast ride with 15 other bikes yesterday morning.... only one other Honda, a VTX, and the rest were Harleys. We rode straight roads and it was very enjoyable! I had my earplugs in...... Most were polishing when I pulled up to the meeting place...... I'll keep my wash and towel dry ST.... for now anyway. On the way back, 3 of us hit the interstate to make some time... prior commitments... I was doing around 75... that's the speed limit.. (95 I mean). I think that's about all the Harley had! We waited for him.......

Last edited:
My previous bike was an 05 Harley Electra Glide (with the bat wing fairing). I rode 23K in 20 months (not a lot of miles by STers standards) in all types of weather, around town and out on the highway. Never had a problem with the bike. Maintenance? Well, change the three oils, brake pads, brake fluids, tires. No valve adjustments needed. Belt replacement is pricey but thats a 60K mile replacement. Easy to work on.

Fit and finish is exceptional. A fun fun beast to ride, raw and visceral ... torque everywhere. Problem is, with the hogs, you always want more power or chrome and building them out is easy, so there's always the temptation to put more $$ into the bike. This process is never ending and a constant torment.

I loved my HD, but just could not justify the cost for a motorcycle. Now I have a cheaper, faster, bike. But I have already done some maintenance on my ST100 (rear wheel cush drive inserts @ 34K miles ($150 ) ) and added farkels (grip heaters and powerlet). Honda parts aren't THAT much less expensive. Oil costs the same.

My point-- the new Harleys are awsome, reliable bikes. Seems like a matter of taste ( or pocket book) to me.

-bluelab

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You guys are treading a thin line here.... obviously, I thing you should ride what you like, I'm on a Wing and running an ST site... what's up with that?

HOWEVER, the number 1 key to how this site is run is respect for fellow members and even though the word ignorance is not a bad word it can be taken badly... there are ways of stating your opinion without comments which appear to jab at other members... those jabs, however subtle, typically inspire equal jabs back... yada yada yada... then I have to delete the whole thing because members start disrespecting each other.

Randog, I agree with most of your post and I feel Harley bashing does happen on this site along with BMW bashing and I don't care for it myself however I don't do all that much about it until a member complains to me.

Will I ever own a Harley myself? Only if they prove to have the dependability and pricing that I'm used to with Honda... so, maybe... who knows... but not currently... I'm open minded enough to appreciate all bikes because they all have their place in some owner's heart...even if it's not mine.

scooter... I removed the 2nd half of your post because it's an old cliche' that doesn't add anything to your post and could be considered an insult in itself... the first half says it all...

Hope you guys understand.

Bike
2008 Goldwing
Heat issues effect lots of bikes. My C-14 generates some heat around the ankle - but not objectionable - and ST and FJR riders also report some issues. The heat on the HD is different. I have lots of miles on Electra Glides (04 and 07) models. They were fun to ride and handle quite well as long as you don't lean to far. The 07 actually sounded excellent with stock pipes and had decent torque. The one failing was heat. Out on the road, the driver had no problem, but the passengers hated the heat they were getting, We were riding with a K1200LT and wound up switching passengers periodically to avoid the back seat heat. The only time I noticed a heat issue up front was in stop and go traffic where it would well up and get the rump roasted. Note that this was all in 90+ deg weather.

The comfort issue is pretty subjective. I thought it was a pretty comfy ride up front - although I hate the feet out front thing.

Last edited:
Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat1:

I think that one of the most important facts that we forget is that EVERY bike and EVERY person is different! I don't mean bike style/brand, I mean EVERY bike! No two Ultra Glides, brand spanking new or with a ton of miles, no two ST's brand spanking new or with a ton of miles are exactly the same! More heat, less heat, better seat lesser seat, better ride lesser ride! Try switching out your carbs from one ST1100 to another with out ANY adjustments! Both bikes will not run properly or not at all!! With that in mind: Heat issues from one bike/brand/style to another are also going to be different to greater or lesser degrees! I think we should be prudent on this fact when we consider someones evaluation of a ride, short or long! Not any one of us can ride the exact same ride/bike, weather, roads, etc, etc... and have the exact same experience. It's virtually impossible! It's important that we respect what each of us write here as an OPINION based on each persons personal experiences with bikes OTHER than what we have put our bottoms on even if it was the same brand/style! It was STILL a different bike/ride!

Everyone here has made a lot of good points (Mellow especially!) and I like to think that I can take this info to a HD dealership and make a fairly educated purchase should I ever feel that desire and afford it. It helps me to think to look for likes and dislikes I would have otherwise over looked!

That said, thank you all for your honest opinion!

(Mellow! Was that over the top?)

Top Bottom