where to mount heat-troller

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've bought Symtec handle bar heating elements, a heat-troller, and new Pro grips for my ST13. I also have the Honda 4 way harness on order. It should be here today! I hope to get at the install next week. Where have you guys mounted the heat-troller? I might do Audiovox cruise control in the future which would make sense to put the cruise near the clutch grip. I wish Honda made this easier for the ST.
Another quick question is how to get the OEM grips off with-out cutting them. I want to save them for some reason. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to search!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I use a Heatroller for my PowerLet where I plug in my Gerbings heated liner. The little tab of black plastic that extends left from the right fairing pocket lid is where I have the Heatroller. The knob and LED fit up through holes you drill in the tab. The circuit board stays below. Easy to reach with your left hand, easy to see while riding.

If you don't have the Hondaline grips you don't have the Honda heated grip controller on the black plastic below the bottom of the left fairing pocket lid. This is another place that could work well.

I've also seen these mounted through the speaker holes in the dash, left side.

Take your time and think it through...lots of options, surely one will work for you.

Getting the stock grips off is a snap... Use your 5mm allen wrench to remove the barend weight. Then, carefully slide a thin straightblade screwdriver between the rubber grip and the bar, just enough to allow some rubbing alcohol to be 'dribbled' in between them. Now just carefully rotate the screwdriver around and the grip 'should' come off easily, with a little 'coaxing'. I recently mounted a pair of the 'Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts' heated grips that are set up for the GL 1800 on my ST 1300. I'd had a set on my Concours and really liked the 1" longer grip length. I mounted the 'controller' on a 1/8" aluminum plate 2" X 3" and mounted the plate using the 2 screws holding the mastercylinder. It looks very 'integrated' and blends in well... (sorry...don't have a digital camera...) Hope this helps.. "wrenchtwiSTer"

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I agree with Pat. :wink: That location has worked well for me for 3 years now. Being able to dial in the heat you want is pretty sweet.

John

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I mounted mine in a small plastic project box from Rat Shack, then mounted the box on top of the clutch reservior. I can adjust the knobs* on the fly while keeping my left hand real close to the handlebar. I think that's safer than having to reach for it.

*I have three: one for the grip heaters, and a dual controller for gloves and vest.

Top Bottom