On/Off switch for heated vest

Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
During this time of the year, I require heated cloths, but not all the time. I just finished a 7-hour ride that saw temperatures from 34 to 68. My heated vest works very well at the cold temperatures but is too warm at the higher temperatures. To compound this, I was riding through the mountain passes and the temperatures can change around every bend. I had to stop the bike and plug back in to the male/female plug when I got cold.

When I got home I stopped at the hardware store and picked up a cheap, inline, mini lamp switch and mounted it on my vest power cord. I can now switch the vest on and off just by feeling the switch click. Eyes stay on the road. Why vests don't come with this $3.50 switch from the factory is a mystery.

Instal is simple, just take an 1/8" out of one of the wires, place into the switch and screw on the cover plate. The cover has 2 prongs that complete the circuit of the broken wire.

I have included pictures in case anyone else has the same problem and is looking for a simple solution.

Cheers, Al

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Nice,

Might want to use some dielectric grease around the contacts and then seal it with black (the stuff with out ammonia) RTV silicone due to weather...

Mark

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I think they perfer you to buy their $100 controller , I ran a on/off switch last year on a loaner jacket and it worked just fine :D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Or put the switch inside your weather proof jacket to keep it out of the elements... of course if it gets hot... OUCH!

Mark

OP
OP
cpsseals
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I bench tested it for a couple hours and the switch didn't heat up at all... thankfully the vest did! So I just tuck it under my jacket and pull it out when I need to turn in on and off. I am an avid scuba diver and have gallons of AquaSeal that I could use to make a 100% waterproof switch. But I'll try it the quick and simple way first. I'll will post any problems.

Cheers, Al

OP
OP
cpsseals
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
My Gerbings liner offered a thermostatic "controller" <$60.00> or an on/off sw. <$13.00>.
The maker of my vest didn't offer any such options, and it appeared that the other 3 guys I was riding with had the same problem I did. But if this works, and by the posts I have read in this thread are an indication that it will, it makes a very inexpensive alternative.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My Gerbings liner offered a thermostatic "controller" <$60.00> or an on/off sw. <$13.00>.
Yeah.. I'm not so sure my on/off switch that came with my gerbing is all that much better than this option.. I've never taken it apart though to peek inside.

OP
OP
cpsseals
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
It has a visual indicator of how much heat is on, and an easy adjust knob from zero to max power with infinite settings in between.

Powerlet's Single Digital Controller is $72
MMMM $72 for something to take my focus off the road? Cheap may be cheap, but simple and safe works just fine for me .

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
MMMM $72 for something to take my focus off the road? Cheap may be cheap, but simple and safe works just fine for me .
It would seem to me that compared to constantly cycling the switch on and off to stay comfortable compared to setting it and forgetting it the latter takes less concentration and might be safer.

For occasional use I think the on/off switch is fine and for long period use an adjustable controller is the way to go.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mine is usually on or off... and I don't really find it annoying or particularly distracting to flip the switch.. but, I'm in TX and we have 2 seasons... 363 days of Hot and 2 ice days... go figure.

I was thinking of hooking my powerlet to one of these so it's easy to hit with my thumb... and just turn the whole powerlet off/on. Plus, I get two other switches for something.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/238_Lighting_Accessories/20158_Black_Brake_Side_LED_Accessory_Switch_Block/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/238_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/

Bike
07 ST1300A
That's very similar to the switch on an old pair of Widder gloves. Never had any problems with the switch in the rain. But it was a PITA turning it off and on. A controller is the way to go. I have Gerbing gloves with a dual portable controller, and is the cats arse. :D

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Mine is usually on or off... and I don't really find it annoying or particularly distracting to flip the switch.. but, I'm in TX and we have 2 seasons... 363 days of Hot and 2 ice days... go figure.
[/url]
In CA we have all 4 seasons..
Riot
Fire
Earthquake
Mudslide
:D

OP
OP
cpsseals
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
In Canada we have only 3 seasons...

1, Preparing for winter...
2, Winter...
3, and recovering from winter...

So I am almost the opposite of Mellow... Stays on most of the time and only have to turn it off once or twice on a long ride...

Top Bottom