Symtec/Heat-troller Question...

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I'm in the *my water broke* stage of birthing this particular farkle (the pains are about 5 minutes apart). I have symtec grip heaters and a heat-troller control... The symtec grip heaters are a high/low variety. With the heat-troller being an infinitely adjustable controller... The instructions on the heat-troller page call for ignoring the *low* circuit (blue wire) on the grips... Now, I've never been one to blindly follow instructions (although I am inclined to for this install), I was wondering if I could wire the *white* and *blue* wire together (*high* wire is white) and use ALL of the heating elements on the grip??? Any ideas... I'm running 50/50 on *it will work just fine* all the way to *why are my grips melting*.... Anybody ever wire the two together? :confused:
:cool:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Do they show a schematic with the assy instructions? I'm guessing but if they have three wires there may be two elements in series. Using one of the elements is high and both in series is low. If so using the other wire wont do anything as the second element would see 12v at both ends (no additional heat)

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the same set-up and thought the same thing. I plugged both circuits into the heat-troller. It didn't blow up, but now, three years down the line, my left grip is a little cooler than the right.

Bill

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks, Bill.... I think I'm going to go with the heat-troller recommendations... Appreciate the feedback... :D

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
If they are like mine, no you cant, or shouldnt anyway. Diff between hi and lo isnt number of elements, low wire runs thru a resistor limiting power, so hooking this to your heat troller will give poor results. Your going to like them, biggest issue I had with install was routing wires so they didnt bind during lock to lock steering...

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Combined with the mild winter, I may be able to ride *nekid* with these puppies turned wide open!!!! :crackup

P.S. Routing wires now... Wish me luck... (10cm for those that are keeping track)... :22yikes:

DAS

STOC #
To be clear here - I'm talking about symtec model 210019 RR/MT grip heaters. These have two heating loops in parallel and switch from one to the other but do not run both at the same time - not if you wire them the way the manufacturer says to do it. See the following tech data.

red to white red to blue
Throttle 9.6 ohms 19.2 ohms
Clutch 7.5 ohms 12.8 ohms

using 14 volts that equals

red to white red to blue
Throttle 20.4 watts 10.2 watts
Clutch 26.1 watts 15.3 watts

I checked mine with the ohm meter and got about 1 watt higher on low and 1.5 watts lower on high (for both grips added together). My left one seems a bit warmer than the right so IMO Symtec overdid it assuming the insulating properties of the throttle cover. I've heard some guys mentioned wrapping the bare handlebar with elec tape to add some insulation before putting the heater on but I was afraid that the heat would loosen the tape.

The instructions have a warning The heaters require a heat sink so do not energize before installed. I would assume this means that energizing both loops at the same time might be risky.

FWIW: Pre ST I wired the grip heaters on my '85 Sabre in parallel. Added an on/off switch within easy thumb reach and that was it.
Hands cool? switch on.
Hands sticking to the melting grips? Switch off. :D

Oh, cover your brake and clutch levers with insulating tape. Your fingers compress the glove insulation and abet heat loss to the bare metal levers. ;)

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Arrrggg..... My kingdom for another SAE connector!!!!! I need 2... Thought I had 2... Already soldered 1 in place... Cannot find the other.... Drat!!! And double Drat!!! Went to AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Lowe's, Radio Shack, and good ol' Wal*Mart... Nothing... NADA!!! (Speaking of NADA, I also checked at NAPA)... FINE! I just ordered 3 more and they should arrive in a week to 10 days... :22yikes:

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Beemer store close by???

John
About 100 miles... why? They have SAE connectors? Maybe I should check John Deere.... only 15 miles... :22yikes:
P.S. Wouldn't be weird if BMW secretly owned John Deere - or even better, vice versa... :crackup

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
BRAIN STORM!!!! While I'm waiting for my SAE connectors, I can go ahead and put in a wire for my Christmas Present... A Garmin ZUMO 550!!!! Woo Hoo!!! :D

STOC #
Chip, when I hooked up mine, I used the "high" side wiring. Now, 6 years later, everything is still working just fine, and I can fry eggs on the grips If I turn it up past 3/4 :D

e4gulf

I installed my Symtecs and heat troller this weekend. Is the LED light suppossed to blink when you turn them on? Mine blinks steadily and then goes solid.

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I couldn't tell you right now... I won't be able to finish mine until my SAE connector gets here... But I'll be happy to PM you and let you know what they do when I do get them finished... :D

STOC #
I installed my Symtecs and heat troller this weekend. Is the LED light suppossed to blink when you turn them on? Mine blinks steadily and then goes solid.
gulf: when you turn on the Heat Troller to it's lowest setting (just
on), the light should blink very briefly on, off............on, off...... etc.

As you turn it up, the blink "on" will last longer, and the "off" will get shorter, until you turn it up all the way, which will cause the light to be on solid.

These are known as 'pulse width regulators' (or some such fancy term:D ) It controls the heat by the width of the pulse (length)

HTH!

Ray

OP
OP
ChipSTer

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Woo Hoo.... Stopped by the local mom&pop auto parts just down the street... guess what... they have the SAE connector... And cheaper than on-line... I bought all they had!!!! Back to work!!! :D

Top Bottom