28 amp alt..what can I use?

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Looking primarily at gloves and a jacket maybe. My feet can take a boot warmer from walmart or those battery powered socks and my legs have never been cold with the fancy pants I have. The gloves I'm searching say 2.3 amp draw and the jacket liner says 5.8 amp draw for a total combined of 8.1 amp draw. I would probably begin with an on/off switch for them rather than the heat controller because I'm cheap, but get a heat controller eventually.

With no other farkles other than a GPS that I intend to get eventually, and no extra lighting, can my little 28 amp alternator handle a 8.1 amp loss and last? Right now it's running strong. Once it goes it's time for the 40 amp alternator, but I'm not crossing that bridge until the 28 amp dies.

STOC #
I ran electric gloves, vest and 60W headlamps on the 28amp with no problem unless the fan was running a lot. Not too many occasions when you'll be running the fan and electrics together for long. Installed the 40 amp alt. at 110k miles as a preventative measure. Just make sure all the connectors in the charging system are in good shape. Ryder will show you. :)

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
perfect, exactly what I wanted to hear. I can't imagine I'll NEED the jacket to stay warm but it couldn't hurt. The gloves, however, will be necessary because my middle finger likes to get cold (here come the jokes about flipping people off too much)

Top Bottom