Heat grip switch placement!

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
Ok, first off, let me say that yes I did a search and I also read every post in this heated accessory area!!! :D

I am installing my heated grips this week. (supposed to rain all week!!! :mrgreen: ) I got the grips off and ready to install the heaters. All is going really well, grips came off alot easier then my Yamaha grips did!!! BUTTTT, I'm at a loss at where to install the switch!!!! I noticed that most everyone puts it just below the left storgage box, or in the speaker grille area! I'm not thrilled with either of those places!! I want to install power outlets under the storage boxes!!! Also am thinking of speakers someday down the road!

Has anyone installed it in any other areas? If so, do you have pics???

Thanks
Kim

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Ok, first off, let me say that yes I did a search and I also read every post in this heated accessory area!!! :D

I am installing my heated grips this week. (supposed to rain all week!!! :mrgreen: ) I got the grips off and ready to install the heaters. All is going really well, grips came off alot easier then my Yamaha grips did!!! BUTTTT, I'm at a loss at where to install the switch!!!! I noticed that most everyone puts it just below the left storgage box, or in the speaker grille area! I'm not thrilled with either of those places!! I want to install power outlets under the storage boxes!!! Also am thinking of speakers someday down the road!

Has anyone installed it in any other areas? If so, do you have pics???

Thanks
Kim
Check with GeorgeGeorge. He made an angle and put it in the left side vent. I'm assuming you're not using Honda heated grips.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When I installed them on the ST, I put them in the area above and to the left of the tank, to the right of the fairing pocket - left side of the bike. I'll see if I have any pics but I doubt it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed mine inside the right fairing pocket just below the top of the pocket and on the forward vertical surface. It is out of sight and out of the weather.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I gave a lot of thought to the placement for my heated grips switch. I looked at the different possibilities while riding. What location was unobstructed? What location was easy to get to? I concluded only one location was acceptable.

Coincidentally enough, it's the same location Honda chose for the heated grips option.

I have an unswitched Powerlet in the same location on the right side. This location works well only when stopped. It would not work well in motion as whatever would be plugged in would likely wind up rubbing against a painted surface. We use dual (switched) Powerlets mounted adjacent to the preload adjuster for heated clothing. That location provides convenience and no chance of damage.

Ray

OP
OP
myhrdly

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
Here is where I put in on my ST1100.
I hope to be able to use the same location on Chris's ST1300.

Mark
I like that suggestion! I will have to see about a smaller switch, the one that came with mine is pretty big in the back and I don't really care for the tall toggle type switch! If I can find a smaller switch, I will probably go with that location!!

As far as the power outlet, I didn't even think of the wires from the accessories, rubbing the tank!! I think I will install one on the right side below the box, then install 2 by the pre load adjuster! Either that, or I may install the power outlet in the right box if possible, and then I could charge my phone on the fly on nice and warm and snug in the box!!! LOL Decisions, decisions!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help you guy's!!

Keep the pics. coming if you got them!! You never know, I may change my mind!!! :mrgreen: :D

Kim

OP
OP
myhrdly

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
Ok, I went out and played around a bit! I think I found where I want to mount my switch!!! I have a flat style rocker switch in a rectangular shape!
I kinda tweaked georgegeorge's pic and the red and white spot just to the right of his switch, is where I am thinking of mounting mine! I will obviously have to cut that part of the dash, which I'm not looking forward too!!! :shock: So for now my hubby wants me to just wedge it in the vent hole to see if I will like it in that area! The switch actually wedges in the hole pretty tight, so it may come to live there! LOL:mrgreen:

switch1.JPG
I kinda like my idea for a location, what do you guy's think? Pros, Cons?

Thanks
Kim

OP
OP
myhrdly

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
This is where I place my switch, for now!

If I like it way up there, I will eventually move it to the place in a previous photo in this thread!!!

IMG_3976 (600 x 450).jpg

Kim

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I put my variable heatroller knob around the left side of the speaker grill. Pointing out to the left toward the mirror. It's a long reach but I do not adjust it much.
Bob

Bike
2006 St1300
I just received my KIMPEX grip heaters adn am trying to source a Hi-OFF-LO switch. Suggestions??

STOC #
That switch is NOT WATERPROOF tell them you want to buy the Translucent cover for the switch. I think I paid $2 for them from Electrical Connection. With out the cover the switch will not last.

Here is the switch with the Translucent Cover I bought for my bike. The picture below shows the two settings for the switch.

Top Bottom