koso grips or dual star grip kit?

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
i've got a little extra cash left from christmas to spend on motorcycle farkles. my fingers are getting cold below 30 degrees with no heated anything. and since i'm not rich, i'm choosing between these two:

the koso heated grips
http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=AC04G0200A&affid=4

or the dual star heated grip kit
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

the koso grips look easier to install and able to be transferred to another bike should i need to. i've heard the dual star grip kits tearing after a year or two or use. i also don't currently have stock (or BMW) grips. some type of very squishy rubbery grips that aren't exactly large enough to make it all the way to the end weights. they are okay, but i have no qualms about getting rid of them.

so which kit is better? has anyone found the koso's to be uncomfortable on the hands? do they heat up as well as the dual stars?

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Jed - sit tight for another day or so. I've got an inquiry into Symtec on a new heater they've got out that looks promissing. I'll post what I learn.

John

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I have the Dual Stars with the Heat Troller for infinite temp. control. They work great ! At max. they get very hot, as hot as the Hondaline heated grips got on my 2001 Goldwing (when they worked).

Cheap to buy, easy to install, and if a part does fail, easy and cheap to replace. I haven't heard of any failures though. careful install is the key.

Symtec brand are similar but supposedly Dual Stars take somewhat higher wattage and get a little hotter at max. setting.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
alrighty, i'll sit tight. i wonder what you're going to come up with...
Here's what I'm checking into. Still haven't heard anything back from Symtec, but they just may be closed for the holidays. I also use Symtecs with a HeatTroller, but the latter pooped out on me and I'm looking at replacement options.

John

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I like it. A cal rod inside the bar with integrated theromocouple. Is the waiting part an st specific model?

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I like it. A cal rod inside the bar with integrated theromocouple. Is the waiting part an st specific model?
Yeah, I really like the looks of that a lot. When I'm thinking about release 1 of just about anything, I like to check in to see if I'm the first to try it or if they've had other installations and how those have gone. Assuming things are on the up and up, I'll be ordering one. If I do, I'll post the results.

John

Bike
2006 St1300
What's the reliability on the OEM heaters?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
What's the reliability on the OEM heaters?
They seem to have more failures than the aftermarket units. The real bummer with the oem heated grips is no repair parts.

Ray

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Had the OEM Hondaline heated grips on my 2001 Goldwing. They failed twice, first time covered by warrranty, second time after factory warranty and extended Honda warranty does not cover heated grips. the same part failed both times, as already said NO replacement parts. You must buy the entire overpriced kit again. Reports seem to indicate any of the aftermarket brands are much more reliable, and if they do fail the cost much less to replace. AND depending on the part, replacement parts may be available without buying a complete kit.

GL1800A heated grip controller unit failed = $300+ for new kit (happend twice)

on St1300A: Dual Star grip heaters with Heat Troller control: If the Heat Troller fails I buy just a new Heat Troller for about $50, If one of the Dual Star grip heaters fail I can buy a new set for about $35 or call and maybe just buy one for even less.

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
i rode today in my mesh gloves which means my hand can wrap around the bars in a much smaller radius because i wasn't wearing huge gloves. i HATE my current hand grips. too dang thin. they are smaller around than my bar end weights. i have extra large hands and i want something thicker to hang onto because gripping something so tiny is not comfortable.

that being said:
i'm leaning toward the koso grips and a heat troller for the mix (my grandmother give me $50 for christmas the other day). unless someone knows of some comfy grips i can get that are relatively cheap...then i'll go with the dual star kit and a heat troller and some comfy grips.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
From symtec

I got some pictures of the ST1300 Sport Touring models. I see a problem... You bike has clip on style of handlebars which presents a problem.
We would need a way to get wires into booth sides of the handle bars. We might have a solution for you in a few months. We are working on a
wrap around style of heater that could go on the outside of the bar and underneath the grip. We have been asked to work on this for a few different
manufactures. If you want to check back with us in 3-4 months... We might have something worked up.
Thanks again for the interest!

Yeah, I really like the looks of that a lot. When I'm thinking about release 1 of just about anything, I like to check in to see if I'm the first to try it or if they've had other installations and how those have gone. Assuming things are on the up and up, I'll be ordering one. If I do, I'll post the results.

John

Top Bottom