Warm in my new Widder Vest!!!

Compared to my 919, which has a windshield installed, the ST1300 is so much nicer to ride in the cold, at least Georgia cold. But for me, temps below about 45 degrees begin to get uncomfortable. I know, big wussy. But I live in the South, man. So, I plugged in my new Widder System 2 vest over the weekend. Very, very nice and toasty. Here are a couple of observations for those of you who might be contemplating a purchase:

--The System 2 Widder has the tall collar, which keeps my neck warm. The material on the vest is thin enough that it does not feel bulky under my leather and synthetic jackets, even the ones that fit snug.
--The connections are well made and stay connected. I just have the on-off switch hooked to the battery, so I cannot speak for the others.
--It seems true that when the torso is warm, the hands and feet stay warmer. Still, the Hot Hands are nice.
--The vest seems very well made, with material that appears to be able to withstand my abuse.
--There are connections on the shoulders for Widder-brand arm chaps and gloves, if you feel so inclined. I do not.
--I was comfortable down to about 28 degrees for two hours. Riding the 919 at this temp would have killed me.
--The vest needs to fit snug to get the full effect. I wore mine over a thin Under Armor winter shirt. Dissipation of heat was very good. Over a thin cotton shirt would be even better, maybe too hot.
--Being a cheap-buttocks bottom feeder that I am, I thought the price was a little steep. However, that thought was replaced by bliss during the first ride. So, there you go.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the write up and friendly reminder. Having your core warm really raises the riding comfort during those chilly days. The winter and shoulder months often provide some great riding opportunities. Nice to be able to take advantage of them.

John

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Hope and I have been using the Widder System 2 vests for several years. Only when we're on a long ride in cold weather do we find the need for the arm chaps and gloves. Be careful not to turn up the vest all the way with only a thin t-shirt.

Ray

Top Bottom