Widder - Going Out of Business

Too much competition I guess. It used to be them and Gerbing. Now there are several choices in electric clothing.

Pat

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad I went with TourMaster Gloves then...I'm looking into a heated vest/jacket liner, just not sure I want to spend that much after looking at the price...:22yikes:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Tragic, as I just bought a vest from them. Let's hope it lasts. Oh well.
I still have my original 12-year-old Widder. Works great.

My Warm And Safe just got sent back for it's _second_ warrantee repair. I'll keep y'all posted on the results. BTW, the jacket works fine but their "proprietary" electric plug apparently can't stand up to the amperage. It's melted twice. They are standing behind it, but my jacket is in Portland, now. In January! Wazzup wi' dat?

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just read the company history and it sounds like the founders son has been running it for the last 20 years or so. Not sure if he just decided to retire or if foreign competition just claimed another American product. I'm sure his competition was probably based in China.

STOC #
Maybe their stuff is too good. My Widder vest and gloves are nearly 15 years old. Just replaced the original controller last year. I've been hearing mixed messages on the demise of Widder. Guess we won't know until something actually happens. I bet they are getting a lot of inquiries.

STOC #
I emailed them about any clearance discounts. They responded that there were not going to be any discounts until at least this summer, primarily because they can't undercut their dealers. I didn't specifically ask them if they were going out of business but I did congratulate them on their planned retirement (and they didn't refute it.)

STOC #
The founder past away about a year ago. I believe the remaining family members felt it was just time to retire the business as a quality 'made in the USA' brand.

STOC #
I'm glad somebody resurrected this thread. I was waiting for the big discounts to start and ordered some arm chaps and an extra controller. All orders are 35% off right now.

Top Bottom