I found a new way to use my Gerbing Socks

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
My computer is situated a long way from the wood stove. I was sitting here the other morning, wiggling my toes to prevent frost bite and thinking "Man, wouldn't the heated socks feel good about now". Then an idea hit me.
I climbed under the desk and retrieved the uninterruptable power supply that all my computer gear is plugged into. Off to my secret lab I went (basement).
About an hour later I was sitting back in front of the computer with toasty warm feet. :p:
I opened up the UPS and attached a pigtail to the battery. Drilled a hole in the back of the unit in a convenient location and ran the pigtail out the back.
Now I can plug in my Gerbing heatroller and socks.... works great. The UPS never sees the draw because I'm hooked to the DC side of the unit. The battery never runs down because its continually being charged.

OP
OP
Hashimoto

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
Would you care to share your reason for such an emphatic "NO SIR"?

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I think it's a pretty ingenious idea. Way to solve the problem.

Curt

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
:)
At least 2 typos in 4 posts... while not a record, in this case it was pretty funny!

Good use of the gerbings... in the winter I sometimes which I had a way to heat my feet while at the computer...
A ups costs a bit much the number of times I've seen a power fluctuation here...

Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Would you care to shared your reason for such an emphatic "NO SIR"?
I heated a house with a wood stove a few years ago and had to open the windows and doors to regulate the heat, never had to wear slippers or socks anywhere in the house. But it was an ingenious idea to hook up your Gerbing's for indoor wear.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
:)
At least 2 typos in 4 posts... while not a record, in this case it was pretty funny!

Good use of the gerbings... in the winter I sometimes which I had a way to heat my feet while at the computer...
A ups costs a bit much the number of times I've seen a power fluctuation here...

Mark
And more typos:D

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Best part is you have warm feet even if the power goes out. How long will a UPS power a set of socks?

Bike
Honda ST1300
I have been cosidering an adaptor for my Gerbing jacket to a 12v lighter. When I drive the diesel truck to work it takes 15 miles of freezing to get heat. With the Gerbing I bet end of the driveway is far enough!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have been cosidering an adaptor for my Gerbing jacket to a 12v lighter. When I drive the diesel truck to work it takes 15 miles of freezing to get heat. With the Gerbing I bet end of the driveway is far enough!
I used to wear my Widder vest in the water truck (no heater!) when I was working construction. Also carried that tank bag radio (no radio in the truck.) Great minds. :D

The guys on the dozer and scraper were jealous but the road grader driver didn't care, he had a good heater and stereo in a closed cab. :D

Bike
ST 1300
At one point in my first career (30 years) in the newspaper delivery business I landed up driving a 1970 volkswagen van with no heat..the nature of the job required me to keep the windows open no matter how cold it was..being dumb and foolish if both are possible at the same time..I use to keep cans of Sterno on the passenger seat to warm my hands up..now that was a great idea huh..circa 1990..flaming cans of Sterno next to you..hey ever try and fold and bag newspapers with gloves on?:D :D :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
At one point in my first career (30 years) in the newspaper delivery business I landed up driving a 1970 volkswagen van with no heat..the nature of the job required me to keep the windows open no matter how cold it was..being dumb and foolish if both are possible at the same time..I use to keep cans of Sterno on the passenger seat to warm my hands up..now that was a great idea huh..circa 1990..flaming cans of Sterno next to you..hey ever try and fold and bag newspapers with gloves on?:D :D :D
This brings back memories...I threw a 175 house paper route for 5 years in my teens. The first 3 years were on a motorcycle. I couldn't feel the papers to throw them with gloves on so no gloves until the job was done. Sure, this was NW Florida but it gets in the 20's and 30's all the same.

Top Bottom