Hondaline grip controller w/ other brand elements?

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A
I'm throwing around some ideas, and wonder if you guys can tell me what you'd consider doing in this situation?

I currently have the Hondaline grip heater setup (which work fine btw). I'd like to install some BMW grips, but know I'll have to give up the Honda grip heaters, because the elements are embedded in the rubber (i.e. the elements/grips will come off in one piece, so I can't re-use the elements).

I'm wondering if can keep the four-setting Honda controller (it would leave a hole if I took it out), and wire in some aftermarket (Symtec, Dual Star, etc..) elements in place of the Honda grips. Cost does have to be part of the equation.

Of course, the biggest task would be to match the resistance/wattage specs of Honda elements to make it transparent to the controller.

Secondly, assuming the heater part can be worked out, is it better to order two right side BMW grips, rather than a left and a right? The right is a little larger because its intended to fit over the throttle tube (plus it would have to fit over the heating element). I'm thinking a second right grip could be used on the left side too because the left bar (i.e. metal) is a heat sink to the element (which explains why the left grip is always a little colder than the right). I'd install a layer or two of heat shrink on the left bar to create a barrier between the left element and the bar. The heat shrink would make it the approximate diameter as the right side throttle tube.

Any thoughts whether this would work or not? All advice is welcomed. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

smcrae

Stace McRae
Did you ever get any response on your question? I have the Honda heated grips - came on the bike - but would like a grip more like the BMW's.
I could do without the heat as I don't ride in the cold much anyway - but cant remove the control without leaving a hole.

Stace

'm wondering if can keep the four-setting Honda controller (it would leave a hole if I took it out), and wire in some aftermarket (Symtec, Dual Star, etc..) elements in place of the Honda grips...

Of course, the biggest task would be to match the resistance/wattage specs of Honda elements to make it transparent to the controller.
Yeah, I'd like to do the same thing. Dual-Star's for example have 3 wires off the grips (Honda/2) and I know many only use 2 anyway to actually reduce the heat output. So I guess it comes down to which 2 & as you say, the resistance/wattage specs.

TIA

Last edited:
i recently bought and installed a set of symantics... old grips were "hot grips". i belive that when thes printed cuicuit type heater elements they were org designed for snowmobiles and were both the same printed cuircut mounted on mylar. but the symantics( and otheres made just for motorcycles ) are two different cuircut boards with different watt outputs. the lessor is for the throttle since that is sorta insulated by the throttle tube, and the clutch side has a higher output to compansate for the steel bar. so i think that to try to add an insulating element to the installation would probably be counter productive.

Top Bottom