PDA

View Full Version : Any Brighter Tail Lights Out There?

nofinishline
04-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello All,

Yesterday, as my husband rode my new ST home from the dealership (300 miles was a great break in) I noticed that the tail lights could be brighter. Have any of you changed out to brighter bulbs? Am I crazy for wanting more visible tail lights? Your thoughts, suggestions, opinions are appreicated.

Cheers!
nfl

Hewhois
04-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Heya!

Talking to my friends after rides shortly after getting the ST1300, I asked about the tail light, they all thought it was bright compared to other bikes. But they all ride cruisers :D

Had these on my first bike:

http://www.hyperlites.com/

One of these days I'll get around to putting them on my ST1300 too.

Mellow
04-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Here's the review/pics of the 3-way hyperlites I installed on my bike:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030

Also, a cheap and effective add on, albeit a little unnerving if you aren't comfortable with drilling a hole in your rear taillight housing, is the Electrical Connection signal light conversion here's a post where I talked about it.. you'll see a before/after pic of my bike further down as wll as a movie of it working... It basically turns the amber sig light into a running light and, when the sig light is on, turns off. It's primarily useful during the nighttime but every little bit helps.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2241

Joe

sttourer
04-24-2005, 05:00 PM
You might consider adding some Tailbrights. They add a tremendous amount of visibility when car headlights hit them at night. During the day they are black and hardly noticable.

The link shows a photo taken with a flash.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14012&Category_Code=tbrght

John Anthony
04-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Hello All,

Yesterday, as my husband rode my new ST home from the dealership (300 miles was a great break in) I noticed that the tail lights could be brighter. Have any of you changed out to brighter bulbs? Am I crazy for wanting more visible tail lights? Your thoughts, suggestions, opinions are appreicated.

Cheers!
nfl
First of all "welcome aboard!!" Second, what's a nice girl like you doing letting your husband ride your bike home.

These guys http://www.homebody-design.com/catalog/brake/brake.html
are supposed to have an ST version coming out soon. I'll definitely get one and post the results. I don't think the STock 1300 is poorly illuminated from the year, but a bit more light couldn't hurt.

Congrats again on your new ride. The more time you spend aboard her, the more you'll enjoy it.

mageerc
04-25-2005, 07:09 AM
I agree with sttourer... the tailbrites made my bike VERY visable at night, though brighter tail lights couldn't hurt anything either...

nofinishline
04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the pics, tips and links. I'm glad it wasn't a crazy question after all. Now I have some homework to do!

Cheers,
nfl

BentAero
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
NFL:

I never realized how truly lame the stock taillights on the ST were until I rode behind another ST that had a 3-way hyperlight setup mounted on each side of the license plate. WOW!

I immediately put a set on mine, along with a pair of small but tasteful looking 6-led taillight/brakelight strips that I mounted on the top box. Much better.

I'm in the process right now of moving the hyperlights to a spot just below the plate/rear rack. When it's done I'll try and post photos.

SteveST1300
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I added a taillight kit that Mellow used it converts the turn signals to tail/brake lights madu a huge impact. If you do a search you may find the source honestly I forget the name and I am at work so can't check the paperwork.
:03biker: :confused:

Mellow
04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I added a taillight kit that Mellow used it converts the turn signals to tail/brake lights madu a huge impact. If you do a search you may find the source honestly I forget the name and I am at work so can't check the paperwork.
:03biker: :confused:

That's the www.electicalconnection.com 's turn signal conversion kit.

wjbertrand
04-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the pics, tips and links. I'm glad it wasn't a crazy question after all. Now I have some homework to do!

Cheers,
nfl

Be careful about making the tail lights too bright. If you do, the distinction between them and the brake lights can be lost. The human eye can better detect differences in illumination at lower levels than at higher levels. I've ridden with folks that had some of the halogen brake/taillight alternatives installed and the tail lights were so bright it was very tough to notice when the brakes were applied. This is especially true in daylight.

On the other hand I don't think you can make brake lights too bright to be a problem!

Mellow
04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Be careful about making the tail lights too bright. If you do, the distinction between them and the brake lights can be lost. The human eye can better detect differences in illumination at lower levels than at higher levels. I've ridden with folks that had some of the halogen brake/taillight alternatives installed and the tail lights were so bright it was very tough to notice when the brakes were applied. This is especially true in daylight.

On the other hand I don't think you can make brake lights too bright to be a problem!

I agree completely.. With the 3-way hyperlites, I never hooked up the running lights, only brake/signal. I liked the effect of no lights then high intensity LEDs as opposed to lower intensity/higher intensity LEDs. It's a more dramatic effect and really catches people's attention.

Mellow
04-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Instead of going with the Hyperlites -- which look awsome and "out-shine" the stocker bulbs, I installed PIAA 7443 dual-filament bulbs. Two for the turn signals, and another two for the tail lights. Not only are they brighter than the yellow stockers, they draw more power. Rated at 8/27 over the 5/20 stockers, PIAA blue bulbs are performers. And to follow-up, I installed a SignalMinder WigWag tail light modulator. I chose mode 11 for an excellent conspicuity barrage of alternating flashes, then a burst of synchronous flashes. From the rear, a cager can't help noticing the "interesting" and attention getting flash pattern.This pattern has proven to be a life saver, and I highly recommend this set-up for all ST riders who choose to forego the LEDs. IMO, this is the best way to go. Up front, I am using the Kisan PathBlazer headlight modulator, with PIAA Super Extreme blue bulbs. They're rated at 60-55, but shine an equivalent of 135/130 high low. Wow, now that's powerful. :04biker:

S&D.... Have you noticed any increased heat from your running/brake/signal lights? More power does mean more light but I've seen some people melt their taillight lenses because of too much power and extra heat and it wasn't even a large percentage of increase that did it.

Joe

Red Ryder
04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I wonder if you won't get a brighter lite if you switch your standard bulbs for an LED bulb. Have seen them advertised-I did this with my BMW 650GS and made the world of difference-got them from a company in England called "Nippy Norman"-www.nippynorman.com" I think-does mostly BMW lights.

BentAero
04-30-2005, 11:27 AM
I took a couple photos yesterday of the lights on the back of my bike. There are two 6-LED strips on the top box, a 3-way hyperlight below the top-box, and of course, the OEM taillight assy.

The daytime shot is during fairly heavy overcast skies. It's from 50' behind the bike. Though the eye sees the light(s) better than the camera does, you can just barely see the glow from the hyperlights (between the top-box and the taillight assy) Yes, the "taillights" are on in the photo.

I also have two night shots, one from 10' away, the other 50'. Oddly enough, the 10' daytime photo (not shown) doesn't appear to have ANY lights on.

Fireball18
04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Extra rear lighting doesn't really add much during the daytime. I ride behind some Gold Wings that have a lot of rear lighting, and during the day it's unimpressive. At night, however, they're really conspicuous. The ST1300 taillight/brakelight is sort of visible during the day, but at night it's pretty good. The aux. brakelight on the Givi topbox is pretty visible during the day, and is acceptable bright at night, as is the stock brakelight during the day and night. Fact is, the sunlight really eats up that red light during the day.

Austin city limits
06-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Was going back looking at old threads and wanted to "UPDATE" this thread... I talked to the Main Man at Electrical Connection at the Hoot and he told me in 3 - 5 weeks they will have a new LED bulb that will be "THE" bulb for the ST...

As already said correctly here LED's are bright,,, IF,,, you are directly behind them... At an angle they are not as effective... A company the Electrical Connection works with has a Patent on a new LED bulb that has LED's in a bulb shaped cluster that no matter where you are looking at it,,, it is Brighter than standard...

They will have a bulb for the tail/turn signal that SHOULD,,, be the Shazzam bulb we are looking for... ;)

Jeff F
06-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Sounds great - the best option yet. :)

Inviting him to post when they're ready in the vendor corner, would be good - - or if he's confident about the delivery date I bet he could pre-sell a bunch now.