heated grip install question

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
After mulling about installing complete heated grips, I've made a 180 and am installing Symtec heaters under a set of BMW grips. I already have an accessory fuse block and am curious if I can wire the on-off switch directly into the fuse block, or do I have to tap into a headlamp/ignition/etc. wire as suggested in the instructions? Thanks in advance!:04biker:

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Yes, you can get the power from the fuse block instead of tapping into another power source. Just more wires to run under the tank, lol.

The next (final) question is; is the fuse block wired via relay? The best method (IMHO) is to have the fuse block come on ONLY with the key on (as yours does now) and that it draws it's amps from the battery. You don't want to overload the fuse block if it isn't on a relay to the battery.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
After mulling about installing complete heated grips, I've made a 180 and am installing Symtec heaters under a set of BMW grips. I already have an accessory fuse block and am curious if I can wire the on-off switch directly into the fuse block, or do I have to tap into a headlamp/ignition/etc. wire as suggested in the instructions? Thanks in advance!:04biker:
I used the Symtecs under the Beemer grips and they work like charm. The only difference is that I used a Heatroller instead of the switch. They are wired to the relay switched aux fuse block as well. It is really nice to have variable control on the heat but it comes with a price.

STOC #
The Heatroller is a really good idea, as the Symtecs need full power to warm quickly, but then they have to be dialed back quite a bit to keep from being too hot.

STOC #
Hi Bones. I'm trying to do this animated GIF thing but I guess it doesn't work for Safari or Firefox on the Mac. Back to the little blue one, I guess.

Top Bottom