Gerbing glove liner anyone?

Bike
07 ST1300A
Thinking about trying their glove liner. Anyone have any experience with them? I have their classic gloves, but when it gets really cold (in the 10-20*) I would like a little extra protection from the wind, and was thinking the liner with some thicker winter gloves might be the trick.

OP
OP
gregj
Bike
07 ST1300A
Thanks. I've got the Aerostitch gloves and tried that (would be nice in a real cold rain), but even their XL is too small to go over my gorilla hand sized Gerbings. They will fit if I use thinner insulated gloves.

Hadnt seen the FG before, may give them a try.

EDIT: looked closer at the FG overgloves, they dont seem to have a gauntlet drawstring, so you can bet the glove will fill up with water from running down your arm.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got a set of the First Gear overgloves and they do fit over my classic Gerbing gloves. I've just learned to put on the gloves, then put on the jacket so the cuffs are inside the jacket. I've never found that the draw strings do much good if it's really drowning frogs out there. YMMV.

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Thinking about trying their glove liner. Anyone have any experience with them? I have their classic gloves, but when it gets really cold (in the 10-20*) I would like a little extra protection from the wind, and was thinking the liner with some thicker winter gloves might be the trick.
I have the same experience with regular heated gloves, when the temperature drops below about 25?F I need more protection and I switch to use Gerbings liners in gauntlets. It works really well from a warmth standpoint a couple of negatives though - the added bulk makes it feel like riding with a catchers mitt for the first few miles, but I get used to it (and I have the prior generation liners, the new ones look thinner) and second I have had a couple of burns as the top glove was well insulated (couldn't figure out the odd sensation on the knuckles until I removed the liner ...duh :rolleyes: ). Since then I have taken to wearing thin silk liners under the heated glove liner and find that adds warmth and potects the skin from the direct effect of the heating elements.

CTbrit

STOC #
I've got standard Gerbing heated gloves, and I waterproofed them with Nikwax glove treatment, which seems to work pretty well (warning: don't use the Nikwax on the palms - makes 'em slippery - DAMHIK) and I also have had a couple of incidents of cooked knuckles on long cold rides. I got a pair of Underarmour glove liners at REI and I love them. They actually make the Gerbings more comfortable by taking up some excess room (I have big palms & stubby fingers, so it's hard to get gloves that fit well) and they seem to solve the singed knuckle problem.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/search/results/pid1006610-ColdGear-Liner-Glove

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I tried the glove liners. They're reasonably effective, but thick. You won't get them under your regular sized gloves--you'd need at least one size bigger, which will make them quite bulky.

My solution has been Gerbing gloves combined with grip heaters. My hands are quite sensitive to cold, but I can ride down to the mid thirties without any problem. You might also check out warm-n-safe "passenger" gloves. IIRC, they have heated palms, which the Gerbings do not.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I also like the gerbings with heated grips. Although I did 150 miles recently all below 20, and my pinkies got pretty cold. A gas stop was enough to let the gloves catch back up warm the fingers again. Temps rose and I was good..

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
REI Camping Gear has a very thin glove liner that will fit your gloves without having to go to a larger size.
The Seirus Thermax Deluxe glove liner is only $10, made of polyester, and may add just enough warmth to get you through the winter.
I have a pair, and they fit OK under my Gerbings. But they do add just a bit of bulk. Not the best quality, but do the job.

http://www.rei.com/product/661604

Top Bottom