Symtec Grip Heater Question

I recently installed the Symtec grip heater kit and love it. My question is when put the heaters on the high setting it seams to loosen up the grip a little. The grip when hot will rotate around the clutch side slightly. When I re-installed the grips I did not use any glue or adhesive. Does anyone recommend grip glue or hairspray (As I've seen mentioned on other forums) or just leave it alone?

Thanks,
Hangplt

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I don't like hairspray cause it's water soluble. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner, it's slick enuff if ya install the grip immediately, volatile enuff to make the rubber a little gummy, and evaporates completely.

Works for me. I have heated grips on both my STs, never a slip.

BTW, I have HeaTrollers on both bikes, I like the variable as opposed to 2-settings.

My opinion,

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I would just lift each end of the grip and put a small amount of grip glue on the end to hold it in place from rotating. That way if you need to remove in the future you might have a chance of doing it.

STOC #
I've never used grip heaters, but for my grips I've never used glue either. I super clean the ID of the grip and the bar with rubbing alcohol to get rid of every last bit of oils and release agent from the grip and bar. This makes both surfaces as tacky as possible. Then I use some more rubbing alcohol as a temporary lubricant to slide the grips on. Wait until the alcohol evaporates fully (might take awhile under the grip) and presto, the grips never move. But they're not glued on.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
If you use the recommended high temp epoxy to cement the grips you will not have a problem. Some of the contact type cements will soften with heat but not the 2-part epoxy types.
I also use a heat troller with the symtecs for adjustable comfort level.

Top Bottom