Gerbing info from the cold weather guys

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
OK,

Help a deep deep southern guy out.

I got a Gerbing Liner, G3 gloves and a Dual controller for my birthday. I wired to the Blue Sea in my tail cone. I have 14g to the Blue Sea from the battery and I have the box on a 30 amp relay to get switched power.

I have bar risers so my hands are an inch higher into the breeze than stock, No faring or mirror extensions.

We are having a freak late cold spell so I decided to get a little test in tonight before the temps go back up.

Here is what we got...Actual Temp 41 on the bike while moving. 20-30 mph wind from the north. TV says realfeel temp due to high humidity is 35 degrees.

Max speed about 45-50 on some secondary roads right after Sundown.

Shield full up. Roadgear 3/4 jacket and Olympia pants with the liner.

Jacket is really good, O'h boy is it good. I can feel the heated goodness down the torso, arms and even the neck. My ears actually got cold in the helmet (Shoei full face with all the vents closed) but my arms and torso stayed toasty. I adjusted the controller to about mid-range and it was perfect.

G3 gloves howerver, maxed out, solid light on controller and while my hands did not get "cold" they never got that "warm goodness" feeling I was getting from the liner.

Gerbing's site says 135 degrees at the wires at an ambient of 35 for the G3's. Was I at the limit for an ST-1300, hands should have been ice blocks but the G3's ruled and I am too ignorant to know better?

I have ridden at 27 going 70 with Roadgear Boss gloves and Symtec grip heaters and it was only a little colder feeling.

Is maxed out gloves and middle setting liner about normal?

I wanted this stuff for the 3 months of "cool" here and then for when I venture North of I-20 so I will not get too much experience with it this year. Do I need to toubleshoot or am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance,

Chris :06biker:

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
How did you have the gloves hooked to the controller? Via the jacket or the wires that run down your sleeves? And which jacket liner do you have? Does it have the 3 wire connector in side the jacket or the one wire connector? The gloves should get very warm. Try hooking the gloves just to the wire they provided for just glove operation and hook that wire directly to the bike. Make sure you have the engine running or you'll drain the battery. If the gloves work they should get pretty hot and if they do then you have a problem with the jacket wiring.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
A couple of things that might help, and that I've done with my ST1100:

Add grip heaters. The Gerbing's gloves do a pretty good job, but all the heat is in the back of the gloves, and cold, metal handlebars will suck the heat out of your palms.

Check out the Suzuki V-strom hand guards. They'll block most of the wind hitting your hands:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34664

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Mac,

I have the liner with the 3 plug interface. I will try a straight hookup and see what happens.

I also tried switching the liner and gloves on the connector to the controller to see if it was a problem with a channel. The liner got very hot , but the gloves were only slightly warmed up.

I'll test some more and see what I find.

BTW, Hows the KLR?

Thanks,

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
A couple of things that might help, and that I've done with my ST1100:

Add grip heaters. The Gerbing's gloves do a pretty good job, but all the heat is in the back of the gloves, and cold, metal handlebars will suck the heat out of your palms.

Check out the Suzuki V-strom hand guards. They'll block most of the wind hitting your hands:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34664

Bob, I have symtec's on the bike, I'll have to look at that too.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Hmmmm, maybe my gloves are a bit warmer than the G-3's. I tried on the G-3's and didn't like how thick the palm was, so I got the regular gloves.

I have the 'Classic' model gloves and the full jacket. Same deal, the jacket gets really warm and you don't notice as much heat in the gloves, although I have ridden down to 14 degrees and my hands were never cold.

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Well,

That all matches guys, cause a direct hookup to the battery with the glove harness yeilded the same thing. Never cold, but no "warm goodness"

We are back up to 70+ today so experiment is over. BTW North LA had light snow last night. We usually go to our spring temps in late Feb. We got some cold rain for a little while but nothing else.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
CL,,I have a solution for you,, next November, come stay a week here, we'll ride, then you can go home and ride the rest of the winter in a tee shirt. :rolleyes:

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
CLMIXON, I ride in cold alot, my liner can get too warm if you're not careful. I have the regular gloves, not G3s. They always keep me warm but dont feel heated just not cold. My wires came unplugged coming home from DesertStoc, and I felt the difference right now. So they are working very well. Bummer that its so dang warm you cant test them, I feel for you...LOL

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
CL,,I have a solution for you,, next November, come stay a week here, we'll ride, then you can go home and ride the rest of the winter in a tee shirt. :rolleyes:
Well,

It's working without the trip north of the artic circle, I just rode around the block in my mesh jacket and a tee shirt. :D

Thanks Papa,

BTW, come on down in July for a week and we can compare notes on the cost of heating vs. air conditioning:rolleyes:

OP
OP
clmixon
Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
:06biker:
Y'all got fresh seafood there?
I am 26 miles from the Gulf, We have so much fresh seafood that Red Lobster went out of business here.

What is strange is that there is not a seafood market in town, everybody just eats out and gets real fresh food. We have drive through boiled seafood stands, Durning Lent and Crayfish seasons, the cars are lined up out onto the road.
We don't have much on the way of riding but we have lot's of places to eat...

BTW 72 and clear blue today

Top Bottom