Symtec grips and fuse block diagram

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I am installing Symtec heaters under my grips and wiring them to a rocker switch I(hi-off-low) and then to my fuse block (switched). I'm curious is anyone has a wiring diagram they can post showing how to wire the grips to the switch, and where the + and - from the fuse block would tie into the switch? I have the diagram that came with the heaters, but it shows tapping into various leads for power. I'm electrically challenged at times.

No diagram, but I have the exact same set-up, see if this helps:
Red + power from your fuse panel connects to the center post of the switch
Check switch with continuity meter to see which terminal is activated with each position of the switch.
Connect the low heat grip wires to the lo switch side
Connect the Hi heat grip wires to the Hi switch side
All black wires run to frame/ground

In case you did not see it, each heat panel has two foil patterns. One for hi heat and one for low heat. Each one has a seperate

Good Luck and happy warm hands!

Bike
ST1300
Hi

RED ALERT!
On symtec grips there are three wires, red, blue and white. 3 wires from each side, bring like colors together.
white is high, goes to top or bottom pin on switch.
blue is low it goes to top or bottom pin of switch. You decide if you want to flick the switch up or down to get high and low.

RED is ground, it goes to ground- the frame or a ground on your fuse box.

Now, from the remaining pin of the switch, the center one, the one probably at right angles to the other two, you take a wire to a positive terminal on your fuse box. Your fuse box is the source of power, just like a lead direct to the battery, but in your case, a fused , switched power source.

Maura

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If you are running a pwm controller and not a switch do you hook it to the higher wattage and leave the other element disconnected or hook them both up?

OP
OP
racer1735
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Hi

RED ALERT!
On symtec grips there are three wires, red, blue and white. 3 wires from each side, bring like colors together.
white is high, goes to top or bottom pin on switch.
blue is low it goes to top or bottom pin of switch. You decide if you want to flick the switch up or down to get high and low.

RED is ground, it goes to ground- the frame or a ground on your fuse box.

Now, from the remaining pin of the switch, the center one, the one probably at right angles to the other two, you take a wire to a positive terminal on your fuse box. Your fuse box is the source of power, just like a lead direct to the battery, but in your case, a fused , switched power source.

Maura
This seems to make sense to me. Now to translate it to what my eyes see when I look at my setup! My problem with the diagram posted elsewhere is that they appear to have the hi and low reversed on the switch, plus what is the wire tapped into the 'power' lead? It looks like the diagram that came with the heaters and I didn't fully comprehend what I was seeing.

Mauro, thanks for the explanation!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Diagram in post #5:
On the diagram take the yellow/power wire and connect it to your fuse block.
The other end attaches to the center of the switch.

If you reverse the order of the other two connectors on the switch ( s in you find 'low' puts out more heat than "hi') you can go back and switch those 2 connectors. Or just leave them and remember! :)

Mark

STOC #
As you will notice in post #5 the diagram shows the incorrect wires going to the Hi & low terminals of the switch. Reverse them and you will have the correct settings. This is assuming you have the switch with H, L labeled on it.

You would think that after all this time Symtec would have corrected the diagram.

Bike
ST1300
If you are running a pwm controller and not a switch do you hook it to the higher wattage and leave the other element disconnected or hook them both up?
Yes, hook up only the high lead (white on symtec), tape off the low (blue on symtec)

Maura

PS thanks Mark !

Top Bottom