Test ride...Harley?

Bike
ST-1300
Yesterday, I had a family easter event and a relative of a relative showed up on a Harley. It was the typical hyper chromed, extra loud bike. But the rider was atypical, in that he recognized that different bikes have their different strengths and was quick to call that particular bike a "show piece". I really liked talking with him.

After awhile he offered for me to ride it. I had only been on a cruiser twice before (for a ride around the block) and those were Yamaha's. This was my first time on a Harley (Heritage model). He started it up and after about 3 minutes of warming up, I figured it would be warm enough, so I pushed in the choke, and revved it up as I climbed up the steep driveway. I got to the end of the driveway which had about a 3 inch drop (it was almost like a curb) and slowed down to very slowly go over it. The engine died. I felt pretty goofy since I had been talking about how I ride my ST everyday. I shouted out "Wild Hogs!"

I started it back up and had to keep the choke on for another 5 minutes. I turned around and came back and it started to run smoother...Not smooth like the ST, but smooth...like a diesel Tractor. What I did notice was the handling was almost entirely different. When I wanted to turn, it took more effort (not that turning a bike is hard), but it required more force, but the bike responded sluggish, like the front wheel would start to turn and then the rear wheel would eventually decide that it would follow....if it had to. Kinda like walking through 6 inch mud.

I tried to do a slow speed (5 mph) turn and it's turning radius seemed to be about 3 lanes (so I had to put my feet down and back up). Also, below 5 mph, the bike wobbled - even when trying to go straight. This might have been design, or myself not used to having my feet in front of me. But if it's a design characteristic, I'll try to not be so hard on the cruiser guys that drag their feet at stop lights.

The comfort level seemed alright for short term riding, but I'm not sure how well it would feel on a long ride. But I'd have to put something on it to quiet it down. Riding through the subdivision back to the house I was constantly thinking of all the houses I passed with people inside cursing that "damn bike making all that racket".

In summary, it was almost hard to compare it to an ST....at all. Not to imply the ST is the perfect bike, but the Harley just seemed to put Form way out in front of Function. As we stood around and stared at it, all the non-bikers just loved looking at the chrome. But even that seemed to detract from it's ride-ability. The owner talked about how it requires constant polishing...needing to avoid rain, spending hours washing. I looked at him and said, "Yeah, I wash mine about twice a year, it takes about 5 minutes...I don't have any chrome". However, I could imagine that if my bike was sitting there next to his, nobody would have looked at it. It's just not a crowd pleaser. The ST is a riders ride.

Today, riding my ST to work, I left the drive way and stopped and shouted back at my wife, "Hey! It didn't stall!"...I throttled up and serpentined down the street. Control, speed, power, smooth. That's what I call beautiful.

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Nice story Doobage. I came from a cruiser myself. I was all excited that the ST doesn't have any chrome. I get to toss the remaining supply of Mother's chrome polish away. I found that the ST handles low speed stuff like a dream compared to my cruiser with the old beach bars.

Thunderbolt

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Yep, Yep. It's not really right to try to compare riding a Harley with the ST. They're build for a completely different purpose and, quite frankly, they perform pretty well at their purpose (cruising from bar to bar :grin: , parades, etc.).

That kind of riding is not my thing but, to each his own. :8):

My brother-in-law and his wife are VERY into the HD scene. So, as I travel on business, I stop and get the HD teeshirts from all over the country for them.

What continues to amaze me is that the HD places aren't so much dealerships with the bike lineup, nearly as much as they are precious little boutiques of HD-logoed merchandise.

The epitome was reached earlier this year when I spotted an HD logoed 'personal vibrator'. (As if HD's don't already shake enough). I wonder if it was a kick-start model?

STOC #
I had a 2002 FXDL (Low Rider) and although it didn't perform like my ST does, I thought it was a blast to drive. No wind protection, the brakes were good for anything but an emergency. (I was coming from a 2000 VFR that could break like a freak show). However, after getting used to it, I enjoyed riding it and could do 350+ miles or so on it before my body gave up. With some practice you can do a U turn in a residential area without putting your foot down. Fun bike.
A true HD rider will tell you: Chrome won't get you home. In fact IMHO there are so many HD's out there, you have to do something drastic for someone to take particular notice of your bike. I think the ST (1100) sticks out like a soar thumb. People are always asking about it. It's massive; you don't see a lot of them, which is strange for a bike that won't die, and it's just plain sharp.
Agreed on the cleaning too! I used to spend an hour getting the bugs out of the fins on the pistons! Much rather wipe down plastic.
Part of me would own another one in a heartbeat, but it would be for fun cruising. For commuting I want wind protection, low maintenance, good pick up, good breaks. I got it in spades!

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
You summed it up in your story. Harley's are bought to impress others. ST's simply impress their riders.

I've got a friend who will take delivery of a $39,000 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic next week. He loves his Harley's (this will be his third) and always talks about how much people gawk over his bikes (he also has a $45,000 Big Dawg). I just don't get it.

I'd rather ride a few hundred miles, and then do my own gawking at the fine motorcycle that got me there. I buy bikes for my entertainment, not someone else's.

I've had similar limited riding experiences with H-Ds Road King, Dyna Glide. Sportster. They simply are awful! Vibration and poor handling are the hallmarks of those bikes.

I know all you H-D lover's out there are going to shoot back, but honestly, you can't possibly ride an ST and then go to a Harley. One's a precise handling marvel of modern engineering. The other's just loud and shiney.

I miss my Harley, it is great for cruising in the summer. But do you really want to keep a bike around for 5 rides a year? You know from just sitting the bike will not work when you want it. I got rid of it when I was told at 25K miles I had to replace the lifters. What crap is that. They can't stop, I used up 8 of my 9 lives on it.

I used to get off the Harley and say I love riding. Now I get off the ST and say that bike is so sweet!

I used to own a 2005 Electraglide - one of HD's touring bikes.. Not much chrome. Anyway, it was a big hog and I put about 12,000 miles per year on it until I sold it. I road it rain or shine (and snow once up on Crater Lake) throughout the Pacific NW, California, Idaho.

I still love that bike. It was a real work horse and as trust-worthy as they come.They handle great once you learn how to ride them; they are comfy (could ride forever on it); parts and dealers are everywhere; the motors are simple and easy to work on. I had quiet pipes and loud pipes on it. Not all HD's have loud pipes.

It all comes down to style and taste. I like the st1100 too. It is entirely different; each are quite satisfying.

-bluelab

OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
I will have to say that the chrome farkles he had were funny. I can't imagine spending that much money on them, or the cost of putting them on, but I certainly remembered them, and I guess that's the point for that type of bike.

It had a hogs head on the front fender that had LED lights in it. Interesting?

But for creativity points, the kick stand was truly unique. It was a chrome rattle snake with the head coiled slightly back where it touched the ground.

One farkle he did have that I have been considering for awhile was the shaggy sheep cover (I think there's been several posts on that here from the Alaskan Saddle company).

I suspect that would be nice for getting some limited air down there. But the stock seat has actually been pretty good to me...good enough that I can't justify $500 on a custom seat to try it out.

I certainly hope that my thread wasn't too negative on the HD. It's not intended to be. Just that I was AMAZED at how very different the ride felt. Like comparing an early '70's Cadillac to Ferrari in types of handling. They're both cars, but only because they have an engine and 4 wheels. EVERYTHING else is different. That's probably the closest feeling I can express for my experience.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You summed it up in your story. Harley's are bought to impress others. ST's simply impress their riders.

I've got a friend who will take delivery of a $39,000 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic next week. He loves his Harley's (this will be his third) and always talks about how much people gawk over his bikes (he also has a $45,000 Big Dawg). I just don't get it.

I'd rather ride a few hundred miles, and then do my own gawking at the fine motorcycle that got me there. I buy bikes for my entertainment, not someone else's.
:) I'd rather enjoy the ride while "getting there" and walk away from the bike to go enjoy wherever it is the bike got me! I don't need to look at it...except to knock the dirt off now and then and do some work (in advance) to keep it running well.

Forest

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I took a ride sat up hwy 33 from Ojai north. Going by the Deer lodge (local moto hang out) there were lots of chrome sleds sitting there, the one guy outside looking at bikes was looking at a black ST.

A close friend of mine rides a full dresser Harley. I've got to admit, he puts a lot of miles on it but is the typical HD rider - half black helmet, HD boots, HD T-shirt, HD belt, stupid saying stickers on his half helmet, etc. Deathly afraid of using the front brake. Had to replace the rear pads and disc at 7000 miles he is such a rear braker.

He says it has a terrible vibration that starts at about 68 mph. Whenever we ride together, I make it a point to lead and run at about 72 mph just to aggravate him.

It amuses me no end to go to a local 'bike night' on one of my Water Buffalos or my Rotary, and have people walk around a 75K custom-built Boutique HD's (and there's a plague of them around here) to talk to me about my humble little plus-thirty year old bikes that still run beautifully.

Bike
'08 Varadero
STOC #
Not my cup o tea as they say. But i can show you how to pull a U bolt on a heritage within an 18 foot circle. Wobbly at slow speed ??? give it time and the rider will get used to it .... because they aint wobbly you just aint used to going that slow with bars that wide. Your eyes move so does the bike until you get used to it.

planetoldchild

eric STarck
Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
I've only ever ridden 2 friends Harleys and it totaled about 50 miles. So at least I can say "been there, tried that and find no reason to go back" with a clear conscience. I have ridden dozens and dozens of different bikes in the 35+ yrs I've ridden and could not bring myself to buy one. Don't get me wrong, I do like Harleys except for how they ride.......

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I have two harleys now, have owned many previous. I like my ST, ok I love my ST. However you cannot compare apples and oranges. Turning on a Harley, I can turn around in two parking spaces without putting my foot down. Slow speed handleing is way better than the ST. Hard for anyone who hasnt ridden to understand, but my Harley is a peaceful relaxing ride. The rake of the front end makes it turn slower, and track better. Its kind of like comparing a Cadillac to a Porsche no one would do that. I love both, will keep both, I might however sell one of the HDs to get a KLR or V Strom. Yet another bike you cant compare with the others...Enjoy what you ride and let others enjoy what they ride...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It's just not a crowd pleaser.
Depends which crowd you're looking to please. I tend to focus on pleasing a crowd of one (if I'm riding solo) or a crowd of two (if my wife or daughter is along for the ride).

:03biker:

Top Bottom