Anyone use Symtec 'Grip' Warmers INSIDE bars?

I'm looking at installing a Christmas gift set of Symtec Heat Demon 'grip' warmers (Universal Fit 179538). They must be installed inside the handlebars, while apparently all others discussed on this forum go in BETWEEN grip and bar (or between grip and throttle tube).
Seems they should call them 'bar warmers', because they don't touch the grips!

They call out drilling holes in the hanlde bars (to get the wires from inside the bar to the outside), which doesn't thrill me!

IF I wanted to go ahead with this, then I'd still need to figure out how to get the inner weights out of the handlebar ends (besides the weights outside the ends of handlebars, there are also weights inside the handle bars). I see these inner weights in the service manual, but I don't find a description for their removal.

The heater elements come attached to aluminum 3/4 circumference 'split tubes'. Apparently they're supposed to work like springs and hold themselves in contact with the handlebar ID? Seems cheesey to me, as would expect poor thermal contact from this arrangement (and they could rattle around!)

These heaters seem unsuitable for mounting BETWEEN grips and bars, because the Right Hand has a relatively big resistor soldered on the inside of the split tube... (and they both have relatively big solder bumps on the inside of the split tube).

I'd appreciate any correction, confirmation, advice, or encouragement. I'm leaning towards buying something else (and hope the !&$ dealer that sold these to my wife will still take them back). Please also let me know what product you like and where your bought.
I've got BMW grips on order, so not trying to save the ST grips.

thanks for your help,
will

STOC #
Here's the symtec kit I used: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=CST/PROD/heated_grips/16025 These are the ones that go in between the grips and bars.
I've had them in there for a few years now and am very happy with the heat. My brother used the ones you're talking about on his Harley.... but Harleys have no bar weights to complicate things. I have no idea if it's even possible to remove the weights that are in the bars.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
There is a inner weight removal tool that comes with the throttlemeister cruise control. I'm not sure where you would get just the tool.

OP
OP
Thanks for the info,
It really helps, as I was wondering how far off my thinking was.

The dealer doesn't want to take their product back (after 30 days), and want a 25% restocking fee anyway.
Thinking about mating the controller in the Heat Demon 'Grip' Warmers with the desired heaters beneath the grips (and not in the bars).
Or just buy a Heat-Troller, as they seem very popular and reasonably priced.

Top Bottom